Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/15 11:37 p.m.

James bought an 06 GTO last Wednesday. I am very jealous of James. It's a 47K mile Phantom Black over Red 6-Speed with a HUGE amount of modifications (what we could see included Trick Flow heads, FAST LSX intake, Pace Setter coated long tube headers, SLP Loud Mouth full exhaust, carbon fiber real CAI with F-Body style flat K&N in front of the radiator, MSD coils, billet fuel rails with SS fuel lines, Hurst shifter, and staggered TSW's). James wails on it a bit, but not too bad because he paid $19.5K for the car and he rolled $6K worth of debt on his WRX trade-in into the loan. Saturday night he's actually just tootling along to get some grub and the pistons decide to exit the side of the block.

Long story short, we need an LS2 or 6.0L short block. I'm thinking Summit crate long LQ4 (6.0L iron block) 460HP for $3,500 because it's all new, and a known quantity. I'm thinking whatever unknown cam and valvetrain parts didn't play well with the unknown tune and that his heads are probably borked, though everything else is fine including the oil pan.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/24/15 11:43 p.m.
bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/25/15 12:09 a.m.

Did James get anything besides a "taillight warranty"?

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
2/25/15 5:18 a.m.

Yoiurbjealous of a guy that has $25,000 worth of debt on a useless car?

I'm just going to walk away muttering something about Dave ramsey

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/25/15 5:54 a.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: Yoiurbjealous of a guy that has $25,000 worth of debt on a useless car? I'm just going to walk away muttering something about Dave ramsey

trucke
trucke HalfDork
2/25/15 9:30 a.m.

Let's congratulate James on his new ride.

James is fortunate to have a friend like you to help him out.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/25/15 9:40 a.m.

I have a good, running LS2 that's wrapped in a clean 05 GTO package that he can have for $12k.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
2/25/15 9:45 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: I have a good, running LS2 that's wrapped in a clean 05 GTO package that he can have for $12k.

If I had that dangled in my face before getting the Charger that would have been tempting. However we were really looking for a 4 door cause of the baby.

WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased Reader
2/25/15 10:20 a.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: Yoiurbjealous of a guy that has $25,000 worth of debt on a useless car? I'm just going to walk away muttering something about Dave ramsey

This made me laugh, as I'm taking the Dave Ramsey class right now.

The bicycle seems like a good option.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/25/15 10:29 a.m.

is he doing the work? is he screwed and without a ride?

step one would buy an $800 beater to get to work. step 2 is pull motor and inspect, don't write heads off yet. step 3 depends on condition of heads.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
2/25/15 10:58 a.m.

I wouldn't put an iron block in that car. Say hello to destroyed resale value if you do. Pull the heads and take them to a machine shop. As long as there's not damage to the combustion chambers they should be able to save them.

Once it's back together make sure it's got a safe tune on it. Lots of people with HP Tuners think they know how to tune these and unfortunately this is the result.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
2/25/15 11:11 a.m.

I wouldn't order ANYTHING until you pull and inspect what's in there now. Hard to tell what the really story is until everything is apart.

Honestly this is a really sad story because, with the the LSx swaps going on out there, he probably could have bought what he has now (engineless GTO) for about $4-6k. And only that much because he still has a low miles T56 and all the hop-up parts.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/25/15 11:52 p.m.

Just to clarify, I was jealous of James' car as it's pretty much my dream GTO. Definitely not jealous of his current life situation. He lives literally 2 blocks from work and walks in, plus has a bicycle and his GF's car so transportation isn't an issue. The car is at a shop now and they are pulling the motor apart on Saturday.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Yg1MMKDyr6O19wKLU67z1pSnH7WxtCrgvKKPceRrI82eD0sNCfc1qWTMvjAvS4Xg