1 2 3
mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
6/4/12 11:20 a.m.

Yesterday I mooched a ride in the nationals winning CP Camaro. I think I saw god a time or two. It's kind of awkward asking to ride along just because you think a car is awesome, but it's totally worth it. More rides for all!
Nothing more to add really, but my heart rate still goes up a little just thinking about it.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
6/4/12 1:03 p.m.

A well sorted Prepared or Mod car with a hot shoe behind the wheel does that to you . . .

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
6/4/12 2:33 p.m.

My ride was FTD. I was driving 49 seconds in my STF car. He did a 40 flat.
I described it to my wife like a normal car ride in a fun house mirror. Someday I want to build/drive something at that level.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
6/4/12 6:25 p.m.

I agree...I keep thinking a CP Mustang might be a LOT of fun!

cpdave
cpdave New Reader
6/6/12 10:30 a.m.
1966stang wrote: I agree...I keep thinking a CP Mustang might be a LOT of fun!

I can vouch for that!

About as much fun as you can have in a public parking lot!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/6/12 3:19 p.m.

I'd love to have a good CP car...

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
6/6/12 3:57 p.m.
cpdave wrote: I can vouch for that! About as much fun as you can have in a public parking lot!

Hmm... I notice that car sports tags... I wonder how hard it would be to build a mid-pack competitive CP car that was still street legal...

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
6/6/12 4:23 p.m.
cpdave wrote:
I can vouch for that! About as much fun as you can have in a public parking lot!

Can you tell us about this? Suspension mods? Engine? I'd love a '65 that looked stock but could handle.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
6/6/12 4:32 p.m.

There is a reason I'm building a CP car.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
6/6/12 4:34 p.m.

I'm also curious as to what it takes to build a CP car. Somebody spill the beans.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
6/6/12 4:39 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I'm also curious as to what it takes to build a CP car. Somebody spill the beans.

Well, you start with a foundation of mullet, and add tires and engine until your wallet screams. Then drink margaritas.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/6/12 4:46 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: I'm also curious as to what it takes to build a CP car. Somebody spill the beans.
Well, you start with a foundation of mullet, and add tires and engine until your wallet screams. Then drink margaritas.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
6/6/12 4:48 p.m.

So....I just checked the rule book, and El Camino's are legal. Maybe not so competitive, but what could be more mullety awesome than a fire breathing Elco on 14 inch wide race tires.
Off to craigslist!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/6/12 4:51 p.m.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
6/6/12 4:56 p.m.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/6/12 4:57 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

I never got it together, but when I had a '64 Ranchero with a 289, I kept hoping they'd let me autocross it in the then-current (maybe local club only?) Sport Truck class...

I miss that Ranchero.

Hrm... If I can believe Wikipedia, the misc Falcons and Ranchero were all on a common wheelbase. I guess the wagon and Ranchero just had more rear overhang? Or did they even have that?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
6/6/12 5:07 p.m.

Ranchero isn't listed as a CP car. I would bet that a letter to the proper authorities could get it listed, which would be sweet. I really like the mid 60's rancheros.....a lot.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
6/6/12 5:29 p.m.

Working on a friends CP project.

Basically, take car, remove EVERYTHING that bolts on, Install cage, fabricate suspension(roundy round parts), replace bolt-on body parts with fiberglass, build engine that can rotate planet, tires that can double as steamroller, install and enjoy.

the only metal parts on this car are the cage or the primer brown, rest is fiberglass. Doors weigh very little, can remove single handedly and lift.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/12 10:13 p.m.

I was not previously aware of CP.

But I approve heartily. And now I think I need one.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/6/12 10:20 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Hmm... I notice that car sports tags... I wonder how hard it would be to build a mid-pack competitive CP car that was still street legal...

A few years back a guy in our region used to drive his CP Camaro to Nationals, and I remember him in, or near, trophy position on one of his last trips.

cpdave
cpdave New Reader
6/6/12 10:24 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote:
cpdave wrote:
I can vouch for that! About as much fun as you can have in a public parking lot!
Can you tell us about this? Suspension mods? Engine? I'd love a '65 that looked stock but could handle.

Sure,

It WAS a $250 driver in 1981, by '85 I'd restored the mechanicals and body, but was unhappy with the handling... THAT kind of got out of hand.

Front suspension is mostly Global West with Penske shocks, 1150 LbIn True Coil springs, and Cobra Automotive 1.25"x0.156" wall swaybar.

Rear suspension is a set of Maier Racing 160 LbIn springs with an extra clamp on the front segment; a panhard rod; Adco 0.75" swaybar; and Penske shocks.

The wheels shown are an old set of Simmons 16x12s I bought from Frank Stagnaro. I'm currently running some Real Racing wheels that are about 7 pounds lighter each and let me stop using spacers.

Tires, I've tried the Hoosiers, but like the feedback and long life of the Goodyears better, I'm currently running the 25x13 bias plys in R250 compound but am considering going to the 25.5x14 radials in R240 compound.

Current motor is into its 9th season. +0.030" '65 289 block w/ Canton girdle, windage tray, and pan; 3" steel crank (Scat) (306 Cid); Scat rods; Wesco pistons (10.85:1); Canfield CNC heads, flat tappet mech cam (0.560" net lift), Edlbrock Performer RPM/Air-Gap; QFT 750 double pumper; headers. Pulled 300 & 300 at the rear tires late last year after it got new valve springs. I've spun it as high as 8200.

New motor (dyno'd but not in the car yet) is a 337 on a FMS Boss block; roller cam; RHS 221 CNC heads; fully coated Dimond pistons (11.5:1); Paker FunnelWeb intake... 589Hp @ 7500 and 470 FtLb @ 5900 (370 FtLb @ 2600). Both run on 93 octane.

Lots of tubing to stiffen it up, converted it rack&pinion in '09 due to chassis flex binding up the stock steering box/shaft (all one peice on the early Mustangs); 12:1 Manual.

It currently weighs about 2950 without driver (min would be 2750), but will have to go up to 3050 with the new motor (the weight break is at 310 Cid).

Car has won 2 WDCR-SCCA season championships ('05 and '09), 2 SCCA Northeast Divisional titles ('05 and '10) and is currently leading this years WDCR-SCCA points chase. But it would only be a mid-pack car at Nationals with a better driver.

In general a nationaly competitive car will be right on its weight min (say 12 pounds over), with 51% on the rear; front wheel rates will be about 400 LbIn and rears somewhat less depending on driver preference; at least 400 rear wheel Hp with a broad-flat torque curve; 12" wide wheels (anything over 10" incurs a 50 pound penalty and 12" is the max allowed).

Dave

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
6/6/12 10:25 p.m.

Tons of power, and it handles like its on rails, man.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
6/6/12 10:38 p.m.
EvanB wrote:

One of the board members, aka 81cpcamaro, built-up a '66/67 Elky to run in CP. It was a really sweet example of a budget-build, streetable vehicle.

It also did a better job of turning heads than corners, hence the 81cpcamaro moniker.

cpdave
cpdave New Reader
6/6/12 10:40 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Hmm... I notice that car sports tags... I wonder how hard it would be to build a mid-pack competitive CP car that was still street legal...

Erm... Well sort of... I guess... No annual inspection requirement and its way more than old enough for historic or hot rod tags (no inspection at all; and that's pretty much how I use it; haven't driven it to work in years), and as a '66 it would not need emissions checks anywhere in the country.

Dave

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
6/7/12 12:23 a.m.

Im just gonna leave this here http://gotcone.com/pgallery/2011_scca_tirerack_solo_nationals/cp/

Hotlinked for your pleasure.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rZSwHhpdTo0OSuswZRF8op3oPIsnLGnGb4cfWB2HDczxRFgUAgub4LwfisRBY1XC