1 2 3 4 5
unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
10/17/10 11:58 p.m.

Wait... what just happened?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/18/10 12:00 a.m.
unevolved wrote: Wait... what just happened?

We all stayed up past curfew.

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
10/18/10 12:03 a.m.

I mean, last call isn't for another two hours...

It's not Sunday somewhere in the world, right? Right?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/18/10 12:08 a.m.

For anyone close to North Central Florida who wants to avoid craigslist the 4sale sites like Ocala4sale.com are a good alternative to craigslist.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/18/10 6:35 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: You are taking a higher moral stand for the sake of an argument.

I'm really not. I m taking a higher moral stand because this revelation offends me at a very deep level, and it's definitely not about sex.

I've spent most of my life deeply involved in non-profits and altruistic efforts. A decade with Habitat for Humanity in 5 different countries, Haitian earthquake relief efforts, soup kitchens, tornado response, Hurricane Katrina, micro-business development efforts, Civil Rights, women's rights, World Vision, church efforts, you name it.

I've worked with tens of thousands of people who give everything they have for no other reason than because they care deeply about people or about a cause. I've done most of it for no compensation, as have the vast majority of the people I worked with.

The funding sources of Craigslist shock me, not because of the prostitution. It offends me at a deep level to see a company making hundreds of millions of dollars taking advantage of people through deceptive tactics while posing as a community service. It is an insult to thousands of people I've worked with. It rocked my world.

It also bothers me that a lot of people I consider family (on this board) aren't bothered by it one bit.

So, I apologize for making a mountain out of a mole hill. My passions are clearly misplaced.

I see that a good deal of folks don't seem to mind a bit that this business is funded through illegal activities, as long as they can get a nice little classified search listing without having to pay for it themselves. Therefore, my input was not appropriate on this site.

It was not my intent to argue for the sake of arguing, I was defending something important to me. But I see I did it in the wrong place, and I guess I was out of line.

My sincerest apologies.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/18/10 6:39 a.m.

Mr. J is right.

Way past curfew!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/18/10 6:56 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

My apologies as well.

Clay
Clay Reader
10/18/10 7:40 a.m.

I'm with you SVreX. I thought CL's income came only from real estate adds in NYC. Didn't realize the massage parlor twist. I knew they always had seedy adds in the personals and have been involved in a couple of sex scandals, but they always claimed freedom of speech. I didn't realize they were making money off prostitution activities.

I do agree that Craig could get a ton more money than he does if he simply sold out. I read an article about how he doesn't even get offers anymore since he's been so clear he won't sell. That $100 million may sound like a lot of money, but it's pennies on the dollar compared to what he could get.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/18/10 7:43 a.m.

I would gladly pay $1 per ad.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/18/10 9:07 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: I would gladly pay $1 per ad.

Giggity?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
10/18/10 9:32 a.m.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/18/10 9:38 a.m.

Geez guys don't get your panties in a wad. Just go to www.claz.org and go about your business. Same thing as craiglook.

Who can bitch at craigslist anyway? It's a FREE service.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/18/10 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Tom Heath:

No worries here, I love the SVreX and hopefully he still loves me too.

dj5000000
dj5000000 New Reader
10/18/10 10:32 a.m.
mblommel wrote: Geez guys don't get your panties in a wad. Just go to www.claz.org and go about your business. Same thing as craiglook. Who can bitch at craigslist anyway? It's a FREE service.

Read the thread and you'll get it.

Shaun
Shaun Reader
10/18/10 10:41 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote:

Great hot link!! Thanks!!

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
10/18/10 11:34 a.m.
mblommel wrote: Geez guys don't get your panties in a wad. Just go to www.claz.org and go about your business. Same thing as craiglook.

claz.org is no longer crawling craigslist, it's virtually useless.

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
10/18/10 12:32 p.m.
So clarify this for me... Am I understanding that you think it is OK for CL to have it's primary source of income be call girl fees

Yes

while they pose as an altruistic organization,

No

I am wondering now what you meant by it. At first i just assumed that you were talking about the legal status of prostitution, but one could also read it as the fact of CL posing as a non-profit .org.

As for conservative blow-hards being the bad guy in this situation, i dont know how you got that from what i said. I would say conservative blowhards are definitely responsible for the pointless targeting of CL's personals section. It plays well with the media/constituents while also being a test case for a nationally censored internet. 2 birds with one stone!

So all woman are whores, right

No, but MOST men are terrible people, and most women give men's morality WAY too much credit. That's a safe generalization based on my observations.

The logical flaw is in limiting "whore status" to only those who give up services for currency.

Agree.

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
10/18/10 12:49 p.m.

So, if I understand what everyone is saying here, we are upset because we can no longer do a collective search in surrounding areas for prostitutes on Craigslist.

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
10/18/10 12:56 p.m.
I see that a good deal of folks don't seem to mind a bit that this business is funded through illegal activities, as long as they can get a nice little classified search listing without having to pay for it themselves.

I think a lot of people can be against the idea and still use the service while working against the concept in other ways. In my case it's picking your battles. Im personally far more upset about the killings im subsidizing around the world with my tax dollars. Im more upset that all the pot-buying idiots i've met are subsidizing the deaths of hundreds and thousands of people only 300 miles away from me in Mexico, and other places throughout central and south america.

Sure, i am slightly upset that CL is characterizing itself the way it does, while doing the things it does, but i am FAR more upset about many many other things that in my opinion have a far more detrimental impact on society than a little bit of unfairness.

Im not saying you shouldnt be against CL, or shouldnt boycott it, or shouldnt rail about it on the internet. But i dont think you should plaster with a broad brush anyone who doesnt get AS upset about it as you choose to. For all you know, we are VERY upset about a great many other things that you might agree with.

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
10/18/10 1:05 p.m.
So, if I understand what everyone is saying here, we are upset because we can no longer do a collective search in surrounding areas for prostitutes on Craigslist.

LOL. switch prostitutes for car projects and basically yes. Time spent on the internet talking about prostitutes is a red herring we hang in front of ourselves to distract us from getting off the computer and dealing with the real, immediate moral problems we all have at arms length.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/18/10 1:58 p.m.

This thread is pegging out both my Self-Righteousness and BS gauges.

...I'm off to Craigslist to look for wideband BS sensor.

amiller34
amiller34 New Reader
10/18/10 3:04 p.m.

So, back to the task at hand... How do I now search and make sure I don't miss any opprotunities for 60's or early 70's wagons for sale cheap within 250 miles that I can use as a tow vehicle?

Oh and CL if you're listening, I'm completely in favor of a $5 per ad charge for dealers and commercial interests because of the ones that flood the listings with the same overpriced POS with a mile long keyword list posted twice a day.

Thanks!

dj5000000
dj5000000 New Reader
10/18/10 3:19 p.m.

I still don't understand why craiglook was shutdown for having ads on their own site and linking to craigslist. Even if craigslist has their terms of service isn't that what basically what every search engines does to every site including craigslist?

From page 1:

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cp , searchtempest.com, crazedlist.com, statewidelist.com

or use google and just search "site:craigslist.org whateveryourelookingforhere"

Thanks to GRM we can keep project hunting without a hitch!

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
10/18/10 4:06 p.m.
amiller34 wrote: So, back to the task at hand... How do I now search and make sure I don't miss any opprotunities for 60's or early 70's wagons for sale cheap within 250 miles that I can use as a tow vehicle? Oh and CL if you're listening, I'm completely in favor of a $5 per ad charge for dealers and commercial interests because of the ones that flood the listings with the same overpriced POS with a mile long keyword list posted twice a day. Thanks!

Searchtempest. Our Challenge team should be sponsored by it we've used it so much with so much success.

Also helped me find a great deal on a new road bike.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Reader
10/18/10 5:21 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cp

That's the one I use. Love it.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wunA4wbhLbt3elrBkMe1M7yO0zzNpiBk3bvkZve1nTYPdKodPe2EN3Gi9qUax4aU