1 2
sachilles
sachilles New Reader
8/5/08 1:20 p.m.

same family, the guy in the Bug is the father, his son drove the scirroco. I'll dig up some video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0iCmXDC5vk poor quality but you get the point. Impressive, impressive, impressive. I believe this car may still be for sale....for quite reasonable price.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
8/5/08 4:58 p.m.

IIRC the wrecked neon was red. I can remember that it wasnt white.

RX_Midget
RX_Midget New Reader
8/7/08 7:41 a.m.
kellerscobra
kellerscobra New Reader
8/7/08 8:37 a.m.

How many runs did you guys get, with the PA Hillclimb Assoc? Compared to AutoX, do you get more seat time during a hill climb weekend.

RX_Midget
RX_Midget New Reader
8/7/08 8:51 a.m.

You could take 13 timed runs. Novices also got 1 or 2 touring runs on the hill Sat morning. I skipped the last couple runs on Sunday - too hot and too tired to put the nomex on and climb in then have to pack and leave for home.

Joe
Joe New Reader
8/7/08 9:24 a.m.

Polish Mountain was a great event and I can't wait 'til next year when I'll be back in my own car... but wait, there's more! August 16th & 17th are the dates for Duryea Hillclimb in Reading, PA... 2.3 miles of twists, turns and a wickedly fast finish. Come see one of the oldest and best-I'm prejudiced-events in the PHA series.

lagunamiata
lagunamiata
8/7/08 12:10 p.m.

We had some crazy kid named Scott at the Eagle's Nest HC over the weekend... And John Finger came out of "retirement" to take king of the hill... in an old Super-Vee! It was a good weekend!

Rich Little CCR-SCCA

Ian F
Ian F Reader
8/7/08 12:32 p.m.

Duryea is a fun event to watch. I'm hoping to be there on Sat to cheer on geowit and his brother in a pair of RX7's.

Someday I hope to have a car of my own to race there.

Duke
Duke Dork
8/7/08 12:33 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: IIRC the wrecked neon was red. I can remember that it wasnt white.

Thanks. I know the guy who bought mine had a red one also - hope it wasn't him. His name escapes me at the moment.

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
8/7/08 8:06 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Duryea is a fun event to watch. I'm hoping to be there on Sat to cheer on geowit and his brother in a pair of RX7's.

Trust me, you will NOT be disappointed!

Did you know we run a shorter version of Duryea (aka "Pagoda")in the spring?

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
8/8/08 2:27 p.m.

so what type of stuff do you need to go hill climing? if you have a car, and a way to trasport. i see firesuit, full face hemlet, gloves and shoes? any type of licenese or any speical training? how much does a weekend run?

it looks like it would be a blast to do and some good seat time.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/8/08 3:17 p.m.

Look up SCCA Solo I rules.

SCCA Solo I is hillclimbing

SCCA Solo II is Autocrossing

Most clubs use a very similar set of rules. Basically think of it as a step between Autocross and Road Racing along with track days and other HPDE's.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/8/08 4:14 p.m.

Hillclimbing is a blast! I plan to do more.

SCCA requires a Time Trial license. Check the SCCA Web site for more info.

The car has to be equipped with a minimum 4 point roll bar, built to GCR specs. That's not as hard as it sounds, Autopower makes plenty of bolt in bars that meet the specs. IMHO, if the car is an open car (Miata or similar) I'd make the roll bar taller than they allow. I run the Abomination's bar about 4" over my head. A race seat needs to either be a FIA design or (as in my case) has to have a back brace. Curiosly, if you are running OE seats that's not neccessary. You need a firebottle as well, a minumum 2.5 pound with a metal bracket. Or you can run an onboard fire system.

You nee a full firesuit, either a 3 layer SFI 5 by itself or a SFI 1 with nomex undies. Me, I went with the SFI 5, Nomex can get pretty hot. You also need the usual SFI shoes and gloves, balaclava if you have facial hair, SA helmet (no M helmets are allowed) and even though I didn't see it in the Solo 1 rules rules everyone had to use arm restraints at Wolf Ridge, even the closed cars.

John Finger has been a busy guy recently. He was at LeMons, driving Tim's hooptie.

sachilles
sachilles New Reader
8/8/08 4:49 p.m.

New England Hillclimb association is independant of the SCCA, so it has its own set of rules. Rules can be found at www.hillclimb.org Most of the climbs are in Vermont. You can hillclimb in a street car, without a cage so long as you stay below a break out time. That break out time is still fast enough that you would be pushing hard up the hill. Cages are strongly suggested, as trees really hurt if run out of talent.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
8/10/08 5:18 p.m.
mel_horn wrote: Trust me, you will NOT be disappointed! Did you know we run a shorter version of Duryea (aka "Pagoda")in the spring?

Of course! We were there! Looking on as geowit and his brother disturbed the peace trying to get their maroon RX7 running right. (it would be great if GRM could do a muffler test on a RX7... maybe convincing the brothers Whitt that mufflers are not evil... )

ckosacranoid: many of the cars are street legal and driven to the event and driven home. One guy who often pits near geowit has a Datsun that he drove to PAHA events from CT for years and only recently started trailering it. I'd hazard a guess that about half of the cars are driven to the event.

atlantamx3
atlantamx3 Dork
8/10/08 9:58 p.m.

Hope there are no bumps or cracks in the road for the A-Mod car.

that front lower lip is ON the ground!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DTDDU9Q5BsAxOxdifElntva5Rh94N8OFBPkEINKwx9EXYWq18cAG363UM4sE0Kab