transition
transition
3/1/16 6:48 p.m.

Trying to get my full-weight+ NB miata into the 1:4x's. Knocking on the door with some 1:50's but it's been a struggle to get into the 40's with street tires and 120hp. Would love to hear some feedback on what I can improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjbcLlRiLtw

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
3/1/16 6:55 p.m.
transition wrote: Would love to hear some feedback on what I can improve.

Get a hardtop and pick up a couple tenths on the straights?

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
3/1/16 7:02 p.m.

Two things that I could see. First, try to use a later apex on some of the tighter turns. A good late apex will allow you to get back on the gas sooner, maximizing exit speed that carries down the entire following straight. Secondly, overcooking the entrance to the S's cost you a second or two several times trying to catch the slide, once when you were really knocking on the door of a 1:49. A slightly earlier brake point there will allow you to late apex the first part of the S and straighten out the second, also maximizing exit speed.

https://youtu.be/3HwnJ1VkWA4?list=PLGvTvFzdMg_N86Ovr05-wgrjTam_2tH-p

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
3/1/16 8:44 p.m.

+1 to the above. You are scrubbing speed in several places by riding the curbs so much. Smooth is faster.

transition
transition New Reader
3/1/16 9:31 p.m.
Don49 wrote: +1 to the above. You are scrubbing speed in several places by riding the curbs so much. Smooth is faster.

Thanks for the feedback. Will try cleaning it up a little and getting off the curbs

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
3/2/16 8:19 a.m.

Here's some reading material on late apexing.

transition
transition New Reader
3/2/16 9:54 a.m.
jstein77 wrote: Here's some reading material on late apexing.

Thanks i'll play around with some later apexing and see how it does.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/2/16 12:23 p.m.

As others said you are turning in early. Almost everywhere but most noticing at 5, 6, 7 , and 10a. For 5 with your car you should never hit the outer rumbles and that is happening because you are turning in too early. You should be grazing the inside curb while the car is pointed to the inside edge of the track at the top of the hill. Not the flag station. 6 go late. The track has a little camber and if you turn in roughly where you did on the third lap while you were letting cars pass you will get a better drive into 7. For 7 don't turn in until the end of the left side curbing. 10a if you go 5 or 6 feet deeper you can cross the inside rumble going wheels straight. This keeps you track left going into 10b which is an uphill sharp turn. You need all the help you can get developing speed here so straightening -0 b is important.

transition
transition New Reader
3/2/16 12:38 p.m.
itsarebuild wrote: As others said you are turning in early. Almost everywhere but most noticing at 5, 6, 7 , and 10a. For 5 with your car you should never hit the outer rumbles and that is happening because you are turning in too early. You should be grazing the inside curb while the car is pointed to the inside edge of the track at the top of the hill. Not the flag station. 6 go late. The track has a little camber and if you turn in roughly where you did on the third lap while you were letting cars pass you will get a better drive into 7. For 7 don't turn in until the end of the left side curbing. 10a if you go 5 or 6 feet deeper you can cross the inside rumble going wheels straight. This keeps you track left going into 10b which is an uphill sharp turn. You need all the help you can get developing speed here so straightening -0 b is important.

Wow very cool thanks for taking a detailed look.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q71OyfFV77Es5I38KqJOgdVLqdqcFQT7PdrThwEz4VfuwsXUEsDoFqbEg3gluQNf