GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/18 10:35 a.m.

Current setup: 4AGE stock achey-breaky thermo-pneumatic IACV with coolant ports blocked off for reduced IATs. High idle when warming up, settles down after it's been at full operating temperature for a while. MS3X can only influence idle slightly via ignition timing.

Proposed new setup: IACV blockoff plate (Warning: NSFW lyrics in video) + some kind of 2-wire PWM IACV to minimize ECU pins and additional electronics needed (maybe Ford? Want something from a common modern car, preferably Japanese for ease of local sourcing). Set full-time closed loop idle to compensate for AC and PS loads (since the blockoff plate eliminates my current PS idle-up system that works well) as well as warmup variance. This should work well with big cams + ITBs in the future.

Any flaws in my plan? Any good candidates for IACVs?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/13/18 11:15 a.m.

VW IAC valves from the '90s are a fairly common choice just because they use hose barb fittings instead of mounting straight to the manifold. That makes them a lot easier to uses as a retrofit.

The MS3 won't respond to power steering input, but it does respond to A/C.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/18 11:27 a.m.

If I don't give the MS3 inputs on the actual state of the PS or AC loads, would closed loop idle be able to react quickly enough to maintain a stable idle?

Edit: Also, is this the right VW IAC valve? It has a 2-pin connector and is specified for a '94 Golf:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
imQVsKcQYKIErrZZgkShSD24hqt3X5Oyukr8j2WcGqatITXszrVs8EaUH6pvErWA