1 2 3
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/14 4:46 p.m.

So, this crate motor just showed up. It's going in a turn-key Exocet we're building for a customer. We may have finally crossed the line.

Mwaaa-haa-haaaa!

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/31/14 4:53 p.m.

Is that a ZR1 motor?

orphancars
orphancars Reader
3/31/14 4:55 p.m.

I'm guessing LSA............

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
3/31/14 4:58 p.m.

Is there a betting pool yet of how long the customer will live after the car is finished?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
3/31/14 4:59 p.m.

Dibs I call dibs on the inevitable wreckage.

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
3/31/14 5:12 p.m.

I would find it hard to get any work done with all my coworkers constantly coming by, laying hands upon the Engine and muttering hymns under their breath.

Keith Tanner
3/31/14 5:36 p.m.

Yes, LSA. Which is the CTS-V motor, but a pretty close relative to the ZR1's LS9. 556 hp, 551 lb-ft.

The funny thing is that the customer needs this because his family has told him to stop riding motorcycles. You know, because they're not safe.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
3/31/14 5:40 p.m.

Its amazing....

I hope that's a 556 HP one that will put the weight to HP ratio at what? 1.3 kg per hp on the low end? That would make for some entertainment.

Edit: I'd say it's a fair trade for a motorcycle.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/31/14 6:03 p.m.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
3/31/14 6:05 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I guess nobody told the family that a Exocet is basically a motorcycle you wear.

Will
Will SuperDork
3/31/14 6:15 p.m.

If I didn't know better, I'd think that was a blow-through carb box on top.

GM sure can make an engine, but they sure can make an engine ugly.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/31/14 6:31 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: The funny thing is that the customer needs this because his family has told him to stop riding motorcycles. You know, because they're not safe.

I put a built 410 Mopar in a B1500 panel van because the guy's wife didn't want him to have a hot rod. It was his plumbing truck. Nothin' says lovin' like accidentally spinning the tires at highway speeds in a plumbing truck.

Later, I put a big-block of I-forget displacement (either 496, 540, or 572, it's been a while) into a Nova, and that was a complete PITA because the raised exhaust ports in the fancy heads meant absolutely nothing fit. The rest of the engine suited the heads we laid on that beast. The owner of the car had US put it on the trailer for him because he was afraid to move it himself. Uh...

Today, I drove a vehicle that almost has more power than brakes. I wonder if any brake upgrades exist for HMMWVs.

(My world is a strange and often frustrating but sometimes rewarding place...)

Keith Tanner
3/31/14 6:36 p.m.

Here are hats it can wear. The engine is going to protrude through the hood, so this will be exposed.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/31/14 6:42 p.m.

I assume there will be a build thread with video?!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/31/14 6:43 p.m.

The awesome thing is, those horsepower ratings are in as-built, less pollution in its lifetime of miles than a Prius makes on its container ship ride to the US, fully smog legal form.

Laugh in the face of anyone who says catalysts and smog controls kill power. I'll help.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
3/31/14 6:45 p.m.

Wow.... not sure I can compete.... but I can try...

below is before... and after....

maniacal laughter.... maybe not, but she should scream like a banshee

Keith Tanner
3/31/14 6:51 p.m.
Knurled wrote: The awesome thing is, those horsepower ratings are in as-built, less pollution in its lifetime of miles than a Prius makes on its container ship ride to the US, fully smog legal form. Laugh in the face of anyone who says catalysts and smog controls kill power. I'll help.

This is actually a E-Rod engine, which means each of those 556 horses farts butterflies and sunshine as far as California is concerned.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
3/31/14 7:17 p.m.

Can we call it M... M... M... Mongo?!

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/31/14 7:22 p.m.

That's a better HP/weight ratio than an Enzo. Wonder if it'll be able to hook up better

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
3/31/14 7:33 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: I guess nobody told the family that a Exocet is basically a motorcycle you wear.

Yeah, but the Exocet doesn't fall over when you push on it. Its natural resting state is on its tires, even when driven on the track. The natural resting state of a motorcycle, ridden properly (i.e. on a track), is on its side. Sliding. At 145 miles per hour. Into a barricade, exploding into pieces.

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
3/31/14 7:36 p.m.
bluej wrote: That's a better HP/weight ratio than an Enzo. Wonder if it'll be able to hook up better

Isn't that WAY better than an Enzo, far beyond the reach of the Veyron territory?

Keith, you're a madman. I read that build thread cover to cover. What are you going to do about tires? Isn't there a limit to what you can fit on there, or are the fenders being modified?

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
3/31/14 7:43 p.m.

That is a whole bag of win and freakish fear.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
3/31/14 8:07 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Here are hats it can wear. The engine is going to protrude through the hood, so this will be exposed.

I think it needs a custom hat labeled "Mr. Fusion", since it will be so fast it will arrive at it's destination before it left.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
3/31/14 8:16 p.m.

Looks about right. Do you have "shakedown" privileges?...Just to make sure it all works properly?

stroker
stroker Dork
3/31/14 8:24 p.m.

So what does the the combination of that engine and a properly prepared Miata set you back?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k5c4jGujeiHy65R8ovpENp87lhQs4bUldcl8dHjg02tK3TH6bFwjnT1V0REzlxHL