1 2 3
96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
3/2/10 6:25 p.m.

I have heard the stock block can handle 220bhp. If I was doing a turbo build, I would probably be looking for 200whp. I was thinking B18 rods ground down to fit and ARP head studs. I would probably go with D16A6 block and D16Y8 or Y7 head. It seems like that is going to be an awful high compression for a turbo. What turbo would would work well and what about a manifold?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/2/10 6:37 p.m.

If yo'ure just looking for 200whp, then stock's the word. Take your stock D16A6, add head studs, leave it stock otherwise, and boost it. Low pressure, small turbo, done. K.I.S.S. No need to mess around with B18 rods or any of that crap. Manifold? I doubt it would really matter. Y8 wouldn't hurt.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
3/2/10 6:43 p.m.

Sorry I meant exhaust manifold.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/2/10 6:46 p.m.

Oh.... use a cheap ebay one. Re-enforce the welds and add support bracing.

I prefer log style over ramhorns or other fancy schmancy manifolds on Hondurs.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
3/2/10 6:50 p.m.

I don't own a welder and it seems like it would be more expensive then just buying a better one. Has anyone used Alphawerks exhaust manifolds? They are cast iron and look fairly strong. At $325 they aren't crazy expensive.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/2/10 6:58 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote: I don't own a welder and it seems like it would be more expensive then just buying a better one. Has anyone used Alphawerks exhaust manifolds? They are cast iron and look fairly strong. At $325 they aren't crazy expensive.

Hahaha, dude... don't let me put a damper on anything, in the end it's all about what you want, and i'm all about doing something different...

But let's think about this. You want to spend more on an exhaust manifold than your motor will be worth?

The Ebay log manifolds will be fine. Just stay away from the ramhorns or tubular manifolds. I can personally vouch for the EMUSA log manifolds. I know a few people that work there, the shop is about 15 minutes from my place.

If you're going to spending big(ish) bucks like this, then i'd consider building an n/a B-series. You can do a lot of the OEM swapping for some pretty impressive results. And for very cheap if you're patient.

If you want to stay D-series, that's definitely admirable... i like different things, and if you want the $325 manifold, then great! I dunno... i guess maybe i'm just an extreme cheap -ass.

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch Reader
3/2/10 8:48 p.m.

dont both with the messed-with b18 rods... costs more than a LOT of used eagles go for.

there are a TON of used eagles.

EF-honda.com has a set of used Crowers in the FS section for less than new eagles too! there are DEALs out there.

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch Reader
3/2/10 8:49 p.m.

btw, we've pushed 300 whp out of a bone stock d16. probably closer to 330.

stock sleeves have been known to take AMAZING power. not forever, but they can do it.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
3/2/10 9:13 p.m.

What do you mean by ramhorns?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/3/10 6:43 a.m.

"Ramhorn" manifolds are a style of manifold. They look like the horns on a mountain goat. They're great for blingtastic engine bays.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
3/3/10 9:22 a.m.

A lot of the log-style manifolds I have seen on ebay are cast iron. I didn't think you could weld cast iron so what do you mean by reinforce the welds?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/3/10 9:24 a.m.
96DXCivic wrote: A lot of the log-style manifolds I have seen on ebay are cast iron. I didn't think you could weld cast iron so what do you mean by reinforce the welds?

Reinforcing the welds and adding a support brace pertained to the tubular style Ebay manifolds, sorry about that.

You can weld cast iron. I don't know how it works, and i'm a simply awful welder in the first place, but i have a Tial 38mm external wastegate welded to my cast iron manifold.

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
3/3/10 9:48 a.m.

You guys over complicate things. I just sold a D series Cast turbo manifold (none of this SS autocrap stufff) For $100. They are bullet proof and cheap. That coupled with a set of 440's from a talon ($50-$60) and a used turbo will get you to 250-275Hp all day on a J-yard T3 running 12-14 psi.
As for rods , save the money on eagles, try and find a set of FJT's or Tuner Toys. Forged H beam rods lots of guys well over 500whp with them.

One of my 08 challenge team mates daily drives a 490Hp WHP D16z6. T04E turbo with a 50 shot. Same basic setup I have in my challenge carcar, stock cam , stock head. (I have a slightly smaller turbo)

there are guys well into the 600hp range without sleeving the block

Scotts Dyno

Here's the breakdown

We were playing with(Scott@Evans Performance from hmt) car today. Its a Vitara piston, TT rod, Evans Performance turbo kit, 65lb injectors, stock sleeves, stock intake, stock cam, tuned by me on eCtune, It made 310 on 15lbs on pump. We decided to see how much we could make out of his ghetto cdm madness mobile. So we threw some 116 in it, and threw a kit on it, We took boost as high as 31lbs and even tried a nos jet as big as .062 trying to break 500hp but it just wasn't happening today We made 40 some pulls trying to do it, prolly a combination of a stock intake, stock cam, stock ign car with some clutch/tire slipage. The final plug gap ended up being at .012. We did break the current vitara record though We had a bunch of pulls in this range, but a best of 482.6hp 386Tq, that was at 28.9lbs of boost with a .042 nitrous jet and .024 fuel jet. My dyno reads low compared to a Dynojet, 14% lower to be exact. For example a 91 crx si with interior with 238hp went 12.4 @114 on DR's. I love D series :) So cheap....

sobe_death
sobe_death Reader
3/3/10 10:02 a.m.

If you want 220 hp turbo car, look at Dave's build. I would drive that motor every day of the week.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
3/3/10 11:25 a.m.

I am not looking for uber-power largely due to torque steer problems. I want a very drivable car with quick response.

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
3/3/10 11:42 a.m.

Then get a T28 from an RB20 skyline (ball bearing with a t3 flange, going rate is $150 , I have one for sale :) ) and bolt it on a stock D series, you don't need much past a set of ARP head studs to make 200-220 WHP. Upgrade the fuel pump and off you go.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
3/3/10 12:13 p.m.

Also what transmission should I use?

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
3/3/10 12:21 p.m.

And what about D15 engines, they seem to be even cheaper. Any D15 to avoid or should I just avoid the whole lot?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/3/10 12:52 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote: Also what transmission should I use?

Well... what do you want? Long gears or short gears? The longest transmission is the CX. Shortest is EX/Si. I'd suggest the EX/Si transmission for the low power you're looking for, and the small turbo.

D15s should be fine for the power level you're looking for. If you do a D15, make sure you don't get that old wierd one with the annoying fake fuel injection crap.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
3/3/10 1:32 p.m.

Fake fuel injection?

mrhappy
mrhappy New Reader
3/3/10 1:34 p.m.

it was a carb looking set up with 2 fuel injectors.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
3/3/10 2:02 p.m.

Anyone know the engine codes for those setups.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/3/10 2:36 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote: Anyone know the engine codes for those setups.

No... came in old CRXs and old EF civics i think. If you're looking at a D15 out of say an EG, you'll be fine.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
3/3/10 3:56 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
96DXCivic wrote: Also what transmission should I use?
Well... what do you want? Long gears or short gears? The longest transmission is the CX. Shortest is EX/Si. I'd suggest the EX/Si transmission for the low power you're looking for, and the small turbo.

Is that the EG EX or EK EX transmission? Also will the stock injectors handle it or should I go bigger?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/3/10 4:41 p.m.

I believe the transmissions are the same. Stock injectors will not handle it, unless you want to run dangerously high pressures with an FMU.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9m0z7L2Kk4PfYfYxbHB8MCsBwJktPuszMa6yRVV5Dqh24YbhyBSP7cr601G6yEBP