1 2 3
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
1/19/14 3:00 p.m.

I curse, love, all of you. All this S197 mustang talk got me to go out and look at one which I have never done in any sort of real way.

So I bought a 2006 GT convertible today with every single option possible. One owner, 39K miles, new tires, and a 100K warranty for another 2 years.

I feel like I am 17 again driving my old 67 A code to high school. It is almost exactly the same color as my 67, same interior color, same exact Craiger style wheels. I did not go GT500, almost 20K extra for some power and less livability put me over the edge.

It will be supercharged and it will have a exhaust by the end next month if I can move the shoebox out of the garage.

Best of all 14.5K out the door. I have been smiling all day like a idiot.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/19/14 3:06 p.m.

Nice!!

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
1/19/14 3:48 p.m.

Nice score!

Keep us posted on mods n stuff.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
1/19/14 3:50 p.m.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/14 4:33 p.m.

It is currently a brisk -20 degrees C with blowing, blustery snow outside my door. It makes me happy that someone here in my favourite virtual community has made a purchase of something enthusiast oriented that isn't destined to sit in wait for the weather to turn.

The car may need to be louder. Just a guess.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/14 4:46 p.m.

Nice choice!

motomad1
motomad1 Reader
1/19/14 5:39 p.m.

Nice find, well bought. Supercharger? Yes! Build thread, please.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/14 5:43 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: Best of all 14.5K out the door. I have been smiling all day like a idiot.

nothing is more fun than cheap fun

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/19/14 5:58 p.m.

They are down that cheap now? Shoot....I didn't need to see that.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
1/19/14 6:18 p.m.
bmw88rider wrote: They are down that cheap now? Shoot....I didn't need to see that.

Not sure if you could find one that cheap without some digging. I looked everywhere and had some feelers out with friends at dealerships. Kbb is something silly like 20k trade in is 16, private party was 18k at least out here.

Even the hacked up ones can be more expensive then this one locally.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/19/14 6:26 p.m.

Windveil blue with the 18" Bullitts is an awesome combination! Is it a 6 speed or auto?

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
1/19/14 6:30 p.m.

Nice buy!

stanger_missle wrote: Is it a 6 speed or auto?

Pre-2011 Mustang GTs had 5-speed manuals.

mancha
mancha New Reader
1/19/14 6:37 p.m.

Mac has the best sounding exhaust for these cars. Had it on my 05 GT. YouTube has some video clips of the full Mac exhaust, headers/prochamber/mufflers. It's the deepest sounding exhaust I found, reminded me of the old fox body 5.0's.

plance1
plance1 Dork
1/19/14 6:46 p.m.

someone is supposed to ruin your day by posting several craigslist postings of the same car at a much cheaper price. I refuse to be that person. Seriously, have fun my friend.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
1/19/14 6:59 p.m.

Not only are we spectacular enablers, we're pretty good post purchase high fivers too. Nice buy.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/14 7:03 p.m.

the Ford V8 is one of the best sounding engines out there.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
1/19/14 7:22 p.m.

Very nice ride, smooth

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
1/19/14 7:44 p.m.
plance1 wrote: someone is supposed to ruin your day by posting several craigslist postings of the same car at a much cheaper price. I refuse to be that person. Seriously, have fun my friend.

I am sure there are some with a story, but non of them are this clean. Not even a swirl in the paint. I will say this whole car cost less then the tax bill I was looking at with a few of the other cars I was considering. They were definitely faster and honestly way cooler but this just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. If and when it wears off I can walk out of the deal with some cash in my pocket if I want to like always.

FYI

Its a automatic, SWMBO put her foot down. The GT500 clutch was too stiff for her to drive,she had a broken left foot few years back, and if we modify a five speed it would need a stiff clutch as well. The automatic should hold up to ~425hp with no trouble with the weight of the car, or I will rip it out and hand it to someone who can make it handle it.

SWMBO actually drove it home and she was hooning it up a bit on the freeway on-ramps when she though I was not looking. I saw a bit of tire spin. I have a feeling its going to be her weekend car in the long run if it does not fit into my life.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
1/19/14 9:13 p.m.

Awesomesauce! Congrats!

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
1/19/14 9:20 p.m.

Great buy. Always liked this body style.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
1/19/14 9:21 p.m.

Nice score. Needs more Coyote and roll bar.

Btw, the clutch is hydraulic, so pressure, either static plate or pedal pressure, shouldn't matter.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
1/19/14 10:03 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Nice score. Needs more Coyote and roll bar. Btw, the clutch is hydraulic, so pressure, either static plate or pedal pressure, shouldn't matter.

You know I keep hearing that, we drove two GT500's a 09 convertible with no miles and a worn to tar 2011 this week as we were looking around. The 09 was the worst clutch "modern" I have ever used in my entire life. The 2011 was better but still to much for my wife. About the same pressure as my viper was. The GT was easy but at that point she was automatic all the way, which is weird for her.

I think the biggest issue is leverage, short, skinny but top heavy so she has to get right up on the steering wheel and with the 09 GT500 I swear she was actually pulling on the steering wheel to push the clutch in.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
1/19/14 10:56 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
bmw88rider wrote: They are down that cheap now? Shoot....I didn't need to see that.
Not sure if you could find one that cheap without some digging. I looked everywhere and had some feelers out with friends at dealerships. Kbb is something silly like 20k trade in is 16, private party was 18k at least out here. Even the hacked up ones can be more expensive then this one locally.

I've noticed prices coming down on earlier S197s for about the last six months or so. Time was $18K and up was the norm. My '05 started at $18K but I was there the day it was dropped to a lill over 15. There's still the 20K mile cars asking 18-20+ but they sit a long time. I've noticed a lot more sub $15K cars since I bought mine last July.

skierd
skierd Dork
1/19/14 11:36 p.m.

Hot! I love my '13!

I suspect prices are starting to drop now thanks to the '15's being announced.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
1/19/14 11:47 p.m.

2015 prices are definitely dropping the older stuff down a little bit, a year ago this would have been offered at 19-20K even PP.

But my opinion is the 05-09 stuff is pretty depreciated out now, GT500's seem to be going back up a bit. The 2015 is going to be for the guys willing to spend in the 40K range if you want a GT and they are not really cross shopping the older stuff I imagine except for maybe the 07-09 GT500's which should be as fast as the 15'. Plus you can finance a 2011-2015 easy as pie, 2006 not so much.

The limited number of 2011+ car's that I looked at in convertible trim were all old rental cars, not private buyer cars.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aWa1UQKxf1XMWH6oLq2zVr669plFsJaNQWBng0H8HqDd7Nkp9HluumQM9djpw6pv