Scott Lear
Scott Lear
3/9/18 10:48 a.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

As the founder and owner of the BMW performance shop and racing dynamo that is BimmerWorld, James Clay knows a thing or two about making BMWs go fast around a track. He got his racing …

Read the rest of the story

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
3/9/18 11:31 a.m.

Man, I've had lust for that car for years! So cool!

vbM3
vbM3 New Reader
3/9/18 1:19 p.m.

Wagons are the best!!!

funfunfer
funfunfer New Reader
3/9/18 4:39 p.m.

Thanks to James and crew for reviving memories of the "Car & Driver" series of Boss Wagons from , and I'm guessing at this, the '60s-'70s.   

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
3/9/18 6:58 p.m.

i love it

TreDeuce
TreDeuce New Reader
3/10/18 12:24 a.m.

As a long roof fan, I built a 2002 525I Touring and replaced the drive train with an m5 engine and gear, keeping only the steering rack of the 525i.  It is not a race car, but it is a quite satisfying touring car and I should have kept it.

Randy_Forbes
Randy_Forbes New Reader
3/10/18 7:40 a.m.

Wow James, nice car.  Has all the good stuff on it too!

By the end of the second paragraph, I'm thinking BMW Sedan Delivery...

Start with a 2-dr coupe body, and graft the back half of the wagon (roof & tailgate) onto it.  Solid panels aft of the doors (no side glass behind the longer coupe doors).  Maybe re-profile the  trailing edge of the door glass to match the angle at the tailgate.

Should probably work out the details on a 1:18 scale model first!

Maybe a 5 Series would have better proportions for a starting point...

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
10/13/22 1:05 p.m.

Who loves wagons? This one was certainly fast.

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/13/22 2:29 p.m.

Sign me up for one like it...maybe a bit less power for me I dont want all the finicky cooling and head gasket issues. But yeah a quick wagon is something I crave and I am just about done with the current batch of subie wagons I own...need something that will actually stay alive without breaking all the time. Or does BMW stand for bring more wrenches? I don't know, never owned one. I have heard good and bad about them, drove one at the 'ring in Germany 3 years ago and really liked it a lot...sweet driving car for sure. Gotta be a wagon, gotta be a manual, and its got to be quick and reliable. Every thing else is negotiable.

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle New Reader
10/14/22 4:13 p.m.

Wagon versions of any car I know are just plain better. It's something about the unicorn factor, plus the premise of enhanced utility and a bit of nostalgia for those who grew up riding in them. I really do favor the aesthetic of the long roofline too. I wonder if James' still has 3 rows of seats. Hot (warm?) lap with 7 of your closest pals...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DE1tb3XfFuaE82OMWUKdUaXpUGo4iGqTfiqKDsetAwSlXx2t3wtR1M1XRwTKgJgW