1 2 3 ... 5
curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/17 4:41 p.m.

I'm thinking about maybe changing the stable a bit. I have a 96 Impala SS with 147k in very good mechanical condition, but cosmetically its rough. Seats are toast and one fender and one door are crunched. I have some nice used GM panels to replace them, but not much time or motivation to do it. I'm thinking about selling it (but will probably chicken out) and replacing it with something swankier. I would take the proceeds from the SS sale and add a bit of cash to get to the $5k range.

• doesn't suck in the twisty parts. Doesn't need to handle like a Miata, but better than an Impala SS
  • luxury. I don't need touch screens and shiatsu massage seats, but a nice, quiet ride that looks like I paid way more than $5000
  • not a money pit

Topping the list in my head:

• E39
  • E38
  • W210
  • Is there an XJ40, XJ300, or XJ308 jag that doesn't suck?
  • Would consider a non-crappy Audi
  • I would consider a Japanese marque, but holy cripes I think they're hideous. They don't imply classy elegance, they look like a transformer on crack to me. The designs are just complex and overdone. Plus, any in my price range are old enough that they are basically a Camry with an option package.
  • Same basic thing for Caddy
  • E46 is on the radar, but I was thinking bigger.

I'm wondering if this is my chance to finally own a 2001 740 iL sport. Will that keep taking from the wallet long after the purchase price?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/7/17 4:58 p.m.

In reply to curtis73:

Whether it keeps pulling from the wallet depends on how nice it is to start with. Despite having 200k on the odo, my '98 740iL appears to be quite solid and everything except the power rear sunshade is in working order. It could be a spectacular car for much less than $5k.

rodknock
rodknock New Reader
3/7/17 5:05 p.m.

How about a Lexus SC300/400? Their engines have a good reputation for reliability and they share a chassis with the mk4 Supra.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/7/17 8:49 p.m.

That kinda sounds like a C32 AMG to me.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
3/7/17 9:04 p.m.
Mike wrote: That kinda sounds like a C32 AMG to me.

This. I liked the E39 I had and I'd go so far to say it is in the top 5 of sedan designs, but all the rubber stuff on it was just junk and seemed to perish faster than other brands. The C55 trim and rubber was still going strong, and even with 178k miles on it felt as solid as a Panzer. Prices on the C32 are pretty low for decent examples. My only complaint would be the staggered tires so you can't rotate them and they wear pretty fast because of that, then the fuel consumption isn't the best at like 20mpg.

jh36
jh36 New Reader
3/7/17 9:07 p.m.

W211? My wife's E350 is nice and so far, bulletproof. Close to 200k and doesn't look or drive like it. We have the 4matic wagon....I did switch the air bags for coil overs. Other than that, stock and solid.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/17 9:13 p.m.

Volvo S60R, your first date was to Ikea.

here's one local

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/7/17 9:18 p.m.

Impalas aren't worth much these days unfortunately. There was a pristine 60k mile one that had never seen winter locally and eventually dropped to 4500 to sell it

t25torx
t25torx Dork
3/7/17 9:51 p.m.

You know what... scratch my earlier reccomendation. You want a SAAB 9-5 Aero. Good fuel economy, tuner friendly ecu, cheap parts, very reliable if the PCV system was fixed and the oil was changed regularly and synthetic was used. Comfy as hell, quite and smooth riding.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
3/7/17 10:32 p.m.

A really nice W140 S500.

Noticeably more reliable than a W220 as there's no air suspension to fail, and it's the last Mercedes to have that classic feeling of quality.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
3/8/17 6:18 a.m.

Gs400 or gs430. Reliable, comfortable, decent aftermarket, 300 hp v8. Done....

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/8/17 6:46 a.m.
patgizz wrote: Impalas aren't worth much these days unfortunately. There was a pristine 60k mile one that had never seen winter locally and eventually dropped to 4500 to sell it

I noticed that the market fell out from under these too. There was a really nice one locally in that green color that was uncommon on them, and it was only $3500, just needed tires

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
3/8/17 7:08 a.m.

These are pretty reliable apparently

curtis73
3/8/17 7:21 a.m.
Mike wrote: That kinda sounds like a C32 AMG to me.

Added to the list. One of my criteria that I didn't mention above (because it sounds pretentious) is that I want the car to make me look like I make more than $32k/yr, but then be even more impressive when I get to tell them I only paid $4800 for it.

curtis73
3/8/17 7:22 a.m.
jh36 wrote: W211? My wife's E350 is nice and so far, bulletproof. Close to 200k and doesn't look or drive like it. We have the 4matic wagon....I did switch the air bags for coil overs. Other than that, stock and solid.

One of the reasons I mentioned a W210 was that we used to have one; an E300TD that had 200k and it really looked like it had 50k. Quality of materials goes a long way.

curtis73
3/8/17 7:23 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: Volvo S60R, your first date was to Ikea. here's one local

Great idea, but not enough flash for me.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/8/17 7:29 a.m.

02 Maxima with the 3.5 and the 6 speed?

Last of the doesn't suck Maximas...

curtis73
3/8/17 7:33 a.m.
patgizz wrote: Impalas aren't worth much these days unfortunately. There was a pristine 60k mile one that had never seen winter locally and eventually dropped to 4500 to sell it

I have been offered $4000 for mine as is, but that was from two enthusiasts who probably were just salivating a bit too much. Research suggests that $2500-3000 as-is is a fair guess.

If I sell it, I will put it in the front yard during car show week (living in Carlisle has its perks). That should bring the best money I can expect.

curtis73
3/8/17 7:34 a.m.
pimpm3 wrote: Gs400 or gs430. Reliable, comfortable, decent aftermarket, 300 hp v8. Done....

It ticks all the right boxes, but to me it just looks like a Camry with better headlights. It doesn't say "I have arrived."

curtis73
3/8/17 7:36 a.m.
fanfoy wrote: These are pretty reliable apparently

This to me is sexy. Its not overly common, its classy, and still has some meaty, muscly looks to it.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
3/8/17 8:20 a.m.
curtis73 wrote:
fanfoy wrote: These are pretty reliable apparently
This to me is sexy. Its not overly common, its classy, and still has some meaty, muscly looks to it.

Then check out this recent thread for some ownership experience.

I have lusted after does for a few years now.

curtis73
3/8/17 9:19 a.m.

So I'm narrowing it down. KEEP THE SUGGESTIONS COMING!

XJ308 looks yummy. I may skip the "R" and just go "8." No need for the extra "go" and I can upgrade things for "show." Parts availability and cost?

C32 AMG looks promising, but a bit small. Its not too small, but doesn't imply the same proportion as the Jag or E38. Same question: parts availability and cost? If something breaks I want to be able to buy the part and put it on. If my Impala needs an Evap solenoid, its $30 and takes 10 minutes to put on. I don't want to buy one of these and find out an Evap solenoid is $300 and requires an intake removal to get to it. (or other, similar debacle)

E38 (specifically a 2001 740 iL sport) is still in the running:

E39 is a possibility, but in non-M trim it lacks the sharp look. A regular 540 is a bit jellybean shaped. Can a guy find an M for $5k? I might eliminate the E39 from the search just because its one step more sport and one step less luxury.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/8/17 9:28 a.m.

I have always been a fan of the E39, find a nice set of M wheels and go.

I like the Jag. Wheels and a wire mesh grill for that body isn't a bad way to go.

I would avoid the C class, because C class and small.

But for another thought. Awfully close to your budget...

curtis73
3/8/17 11:59 a.m.

is that a CLS55?

curtis73
3/8/17 12:00 p.m.

I'm reading back through this thread and dropping my jaw at the level of luxury a person can get these days for around $5k

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SmCxpPeRjwIgeFXTQMQ05i9isPnmrThvEn5b6auVfOXjrBLuFcAVyVCnp22hvZ9Q