1 2 3 4 5
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/10/17 12:14 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: The googles came up with this:
The Googles said: Nickasil bore liner sulphur erosion problem with pre-2000 V8s. Reports of tensioner problems leading to timing chain failures. Front wishbone bushes can go after 20,000 miles, causing steering problems, uneven tyre wear and ultimately suspension damage; £700 to replace (Jag's extended warranty doesn't cover this, unlike Warranty Direct's). Fifth highest repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct reliability index (www.reliabilityindex.co.uk).

If you're going to go x308 then go with an XJR as the 8' has the zf transmission that fails often. The XJR has the Mercedes 5speed unit you see behind the AMG's and V12 which can take a great deal of power. It seems from my trolling of the x308 forums that the xjr is more reliable than the xj8 but just slightly harder to work on because of more parts (supercharger/intercooler). As far as the Nickasil thing, I dont think thats a real issue anymore. At 15 years old every luxo-sedan will go through bushing and the like.

The parts for these cars are NOT expensive at all. The 2003 has the metal timing chain tensioners from the factory. You can replace them yourself though (I'm about to tackle it this weekend) with less than $200 in parts ($50 a piece for the tensioners, $1.67 from ford for the updated bolts, $60 cam locking tool kit, and valve covergasket kit was under $50). The only gotcha for this car is the coolant hose under the supercharger can go which leads to removal of the supercharger, throttle body, egr system, intake (PITA). While you're in there you can replace every hose and gasket you've removed and upgrade the supercharger coupling...I'm in the process of doing all this now. I bought all the parts and I dont think I paid over $300. For all that I think the price per parts are very cheap compared to a lot of other cars. Your budget can get you a pretty decent one. They're not as athletic as the BMW and dont have brute power like an 55 AMG but damn it looks good and does everything well.

I'm going to sell mine ONLY because I want a biturbo s600. I will buy another one though.

yupididit
3/10/17 12:25 p.m.
docwyte wrote: OP, none of the cars suggested will have a $30 evap valve that can be replaced in ten minutes, most will more like the other part of your sentence there...

I had an part break on my jag that caused the engine to smoke. I literally took it off and typed in the part number and got it off of Amazon for $17. It came the next day and took 2 mins to change. It was so minor that I dont even remember what part it was.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/10/17 2:22 p.m.
yupididit wrote: If you're going to go x308 then go with an XJR as the 8' has the zf transmission that fails often. The XJR has the Mercedes 5speed unit you see behind the AMG's and V12 which can take a great deal of power. I'm going to sell mine ONLY because I want a biturbo s600. I will buy another one though.

I thought about that transmission issue, but will I be able to find an R in the same price range?

... and tell me about selling yours

yupididit
3/10/17 3:06 p.m.

Xjr's and 8's seem to be in almost the same price range. R's being a little more expensive.

Mine? I'm not even sure how much to sell it for. But, I'm on the left coast.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
3/10/17 3:21 p.m.

Sounds like a fun opportunity for a fly-and-drive

curtis73
3/10/17 4:47 p.m.
yupididit wrote: Xjr's and 8's seem to be in almost the same price range. R's being a little more expensive. Mine? I'm not even sure how much to sell it for. But, I'm on the left coast.

... and I can't think of a better road trip car for a fly-n-drive.

But, please keep me in mind. Maybe when you're ready to sell, I'll be ready to buy.

yupididit
3/10/17 5:43 p.m.

Will do, Sir.

yupididit
3/11/17 9:08 p.m.
curtis73
3/12/17 12:11 p.m.

Responded to his thread. Thanks!

curtis73
3/20/17 11:44 a.m.

Update. I have now driven several X308s. While I love almost everything about them, I'm not a big fan of the ergonomics. I haven't taken them out of the running yet, but I think I'm going to broaden the search.

I plan on driving a CLS55 soon. Its the earlier generation than was pictured earlier in the thread, but it might give me an idea of what they're like.

Keep the ideas coming on good luxo boats in the $5k range.

Tk8398
Tk8398 New Reader
3/20/17 12:19 p.m.

The other problem with the x308 is that I have heard they can have a lot of issues with getting the emissions monitors to set to pass emissions testing. I looked into getting one but I am too tall. I'd only get a v8 xjr if I was to ever get one though. Some other suggestions would be a w210 e55, w220 s55, or an Infiniti M45(I have driven one and they are really nice).

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
3/20/17 12:22 p.m.

In IL we have a super easy OBD2 plug-in emissions test. No sniffer or anything like that. But I did my emissions last year and it flew right through.

Tk8398
Tk8398 New Reader
3/20/17 12:37 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: In IL we have a super easy OBD2 plug-in emissions test. No sniffer or anything like that. But I did my emissions last year and it flew right through.

I think it's mainly the 6 cylinder jaguars that have that problem, I remember talking to a guy who had one since new and it would constantly set a catalyst efficiency code. I do think the v8 Xjr is a good car though, just not for really tall people.

curtis73
3/20/17 4:06 p.m.
Tk8398 wrote: I do think the v8 Xjr is a good car though, just not for really tall people.

6'1" 240lbs. Maybe that's why I don't feel like it fits me well.

curtis73
3/20/17 4:09 p.m.
Tk8398 wrote: The other problem with the x308 is that I have heard they can have a lot of issues with getting the emissions monitors to set to pass emissions testing. I looked into getting one but I am too tall. I'd only get a v8 xjr if I was to ever get one though. Some other suggestions would be a w210 e55, w220 s55, or an Infiniti M45(I have driven one and they are really nice).

I had a W210 E300TD and LOVED it, just looking for more swank and size. S55AMG would be nice. The infinity has been on my list, but I find it to be rather boring styling. Something like a CLS55 really turns heads. Hard to find one cheap enough, but maybe the W220 should get a closer look.

I had found an S55 W220 AMG on CL, but it either sold or got flagged because the ad is gone.

yupididit
3/20/17 4:38 p.m.

Where in the world are there 5k CLS55 AMG's that are clean title or running?

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
3/20/17 7:10 p.m.

They do not exist. I looked for months before I bought my CLS63 last year. The cheapest are some S55s or E55s.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
3/20/17 7:11 p.m.

2 w210 E55 AMG on ATL CL for sub 7k, one newer gen 2004 model for 7.9k

Tk8398
Tk8398 New Reader
3/20/17 8:04 p.m.

It's worth at least test driving an M45, they are really nice cars. I actually have a w210 diesel now, if I was in your situation I think I'd be looking for a w203 c32 or w220 s55 depending on how I felt about maintaining the hydraulic suspension on the s55 lol. Keep in mind there are both supercharged and Na versions of the s55 too.

yupididit
3/20/17 8:22 p.m.

W203 seems a little small for what he's describing.

-W220 s55 NA or Supercharger

-M45

-E38

-x350 jag? Bigger than x308

yupididit
3/20/17 8:27 p.m.

What about the e60 5 series (non M) and e65 7 series? I know nothing about them except the e60m5 sounds amazing but very high maintenance.

The 535i came with 3 pedals right? I know it can be tuned to make 400hp easily.

curtis73
3/21/17 11:06 a.m.
yupididit wrote: Where in the world are there 5k CLS55 AMG's that are clean title or running?

They don't exist. I would have to alter my budget. But they're around for $8k with fewer than 100k on the clock.

W220 S55s are plentiful in the $5k price range, if you're willing to put up with a few more miles.

curtis73
3/21/17 11:22 a.m.
yupididit wrote: W203 seems a little small for what he's describing. -W220 s55 NA or Supercharger -M45 -E38 -x350 jag? Bigger than x308

W220, yes. M45 I will research/drive. E38 is definitely on the list, but its a touch more "common." I want to ARRIVE, not just show up.

X350s are a bit pricey, but worth a look. One of the reasons I preferred the 308 was because it had some nice exterior refinements to keep it modern, but still really has that classic Jag styling. The 350 misses the mark a bit for me. It looks more Ford and less Jag. Still very nice, but buying a 350 would mean more money for something I don't find quite as sexy.

I've had a W210 and loved it, but it was squarely mid-sized. I'm even thinking a CLS is a bit "small" for my tastes, but it is bulbous and muscly so it looks bigger than it actually is. Plus, the fact that it looks like a modern Merc compared to the W220, the CLS gets the nod a bit (as long as my research shows that its a somewhat wise reliability choice)

A good word for what I'm seeking is; flagship W220 and CLS both fit that bill, and I could skip the AMG badge and buy some tasteful wheels to save a bit.

Here is how I imagine car guys inner monologues when I drive up in each of these cars:

CLS: "damn, that guy has what I want. He arrives in style and I'll be he gets laid a lot."
W220: "Not bad for an older Benz. He made a wise financial investment"
E38: "Hey, nice... oh. Old 7-series, nevermind."
M45: "That guy must be an accountant and never has sex."
X308: "Sweet jag... classy and refined"

Which is strange, because my goal in doing this is to get a nice luxo car for not much money. I don't really WANT to fit in at the country club, I just want to have some niceties without paying more for a car than I would a house.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/21/17 11:28 a.m.

In reply to curtis73:

The last paragraph amuses me... my grandfather was not poor in the least. At the time, he could have bought pretty much any car he would have wanted to back when was golfing at the county club.

He drove a Pinto wagon (with a 4 spd manual) and DGAF what others thought.

curtis73
3/21/17 11:34 a.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to curtis73: The last paragraph amuses me... my grandfather was not poor in the least. At the time, he could have bought pretty much any car he would have wanted to back when was golfing at the county club. He drove a Pinto wagon (with a 4 spd manual) and DGAF what others thought.

I'm kind of amusing myself with this quest considering my list of past cars; 73 Hornet Wagon, 85 El Camino, 74 Maverick, 73 Impala Station wagon, 02 F150.

I was never like this, but I just have an itch for a head-turner Euro luxo boat that (on the outside) says "dang, there's a rich guy," and also says (in my brain) "some sucker paid $75k for this 10 years ago and I snagged it for $6k"

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VjhQoZm2novx2mpKQWvf918KXtXg4TYcAxtiQNxkCkCeczDbdlF5wp0yxNsbGVG7