1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/30/20 4:00 p.m.
feature_image

In addition to the traditional Bus Stop chicane located on the back straight, Daytona International Raceway will receive a second chicane for August’s NASCAR weekend. This new chicane will be located just after NASCAR Turn 4. 

Also announced: Cars will run the “high downforce aero package” along with the 750-horsepower engines used on short tracks and road course.

So, the big question from the GRM staff: Will this chicane be available for our club events? And how soon until we can practice on iRacing?


Read the full press release here.

 

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/30/20 4:27 p.m.

Sounds like iRacing has already answered one of our questions: next week, we hear. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
7/30/20 4:29 p.m.

Aw, I wanted to see unrestricted stock cars try to cram their way down into turn 1 from 200+ mph and fail miserably. cheeky

wae
wae UltraDork
7/30/20 4:37 p.m.

No practice... No qually... Never raced on the road course before... Just unload from the transporter and get the green flag.  And then I heard Goodyear was bringing the wets.  I have never before planned ahead to watch a NASCAR race, but this is going to be epic.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/30/20 4:40 p.m.

Looks like Andy Lally will be in the field. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
7/30/20 5:10 p.m.

The chicane would be pretty easy to use for club events it's all pavement there.

back the day daytona also had this layout

this was with the older international horseshoe that went in further and was more open and faster

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/30/20 5:17 p.m.

Isn't that really close to pit in??  Or are they using part of pit in for this?

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/30/20 6:12 p.m.

Wait, NASCAR cars switch engines depending on what kind of course they're running?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
7/30/20 8:06 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) :

I would guess that's the plate vs no plate issue.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/30/20 8:18 p.m.

I'm guessing they did some testing, and soon realized diving into T1 after having it matted from the bus stop was just going to be too much to ask for those cars and that field.  They probably pictured cars spinning all the way to the track pavement at T6.  (see above diagram)

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
7/30/20 8:18 p.m.

Maybe a mid-size plate? I think the Daytona oval and Talladega restrictor plates allow less HP; more like 500.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/30/20 10:11 p.m.

No physical testing was done, but the simulations were showing over 200mph into T1, and I think that spooked them a bit. For reference, the GT3 cars are doing mid 170s. The uncorked Ferrari Challenge cars can actually top 190 there (which is fascinating given the diversity of talent in that series). 

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/30/20 11:06 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) :

I would guess that's the plate vs no plate issue.

Oooohhhh, restrictor plates. Not whole engines. I'm dumb surprise

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 Reader
7/31/20 6:31 a.m.

wonder if this is secretly a bid to prevent laptime comparisons to other popular race series?  i was ready to see them hit the brakes at nascar 4 to haul those things down in time for turn 1

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/31/20 6:39 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

No physical testing was done, but the simulations were showing over 200mph into T1, and I think that spooked them a bit. For reference, the GT3 cars are doing mid 170s. The uncorked Ferrari Challenge cars can actually top 190 there (which is fascinating given the diversity of talent in that series). 

I bet there are some very expensive crashes!

NASCAR will be a demolition derby. Excellent....

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
7/31/20 6:49 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) said:
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) :

I would guess that's the plate vs no plate issue.

Oooohhhh, restrictor plates. Not whole engines. I'm dumb surprise

I believe they do quite a bit different things to each engine based on its restricter plate.  They DO have different engines for each restrictor.

 

 

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
7/31/20 7:02 a.m.

The really fun items for everyone to consider are:

  • There are four series racing over three days (ARCA, NASCAR Trucks, NASCAR Xfinity, and NASCAR Cup)
  • The drivers are specifically disallowed from running multiple series for that weekend (to reduce effective practice time)
  • No practice or qualifying for any of the series.
  • A few of the drivers have done the 24 Hours so there will be some experience with the course, but not in these vehicles with their comparatively tiny brakes. Way back when, there were regularly converted Cup cars entered in the 24 Hours and they ran well, but generally suffered long term cooling issues and never really challenged for the overall, but they sounded awesome alongside the GTP cars.
  • The high downforce, high power configuration for the Cup cars will make corner exit a real challenge as the races are going to be run in the middle of the day and the track will be a little slick (see JG video comparison between GTD and Cup cars).

These events should be fun to watch, but the carnage that returns to the shops will be significant. Not looking forward to the piles of scrap that we have to repair or destroy.

wae
wae UltraDork
7/31/20 7:13 a.m.

I think the only way it could be better is if Robbie Gordon showed up with his ramps and they also ran the Stadium Super Trucks.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
7/31/20 7:50 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Somebody please make this happen.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/31/20 9:22 a.m.

This may be the best NASCAR race to run in decades.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/31/20 9:40 a.m.
stylngle2003 said:

wonder if this is secretly a bid to prevent laptime comparisons to other popular race series?  i was ready to see them hit the brakes at nascar 4 to haul those things down in time for turn 1

I don't think NASCAR fans care.  

The only series that has shown any interest in how thier cars match up to others is F1.  And now that they see how much slower Indycars are, they have also lost interest.

On an editorial note- it's interesting how many people think this is exactly what NASCAR needs- as if their fans don't count.  If this was REALLY want they needed, they would be adding many more road course races for decades.   IMHO, there's plenty of road race series out there for me to watch to really worry if NASCAR is on a road course or not.  And having watched some recent races on road courses- and the carnage that always happens at the end- I'm not planning on watching.  Segments, competition yellows, LOOOOONG yellows, and sloppy driving late in the races after yellows may be appealing to thousands and thousands of others- just not to me.

SuperDave
SuperDave New Reader
7/31/20 12:19 p.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:
stylngle2003 said:

wonder if this is secretly a bid to prevent laptime comparisons to other popular race series?  i was ready to see them hit the brakes at nascar 4 to haul those things down in time for turn 1

I don't think NASCAR fans care.  

The only series that has shown any interest in how thier cars match up to others is F1.  And now that they see how much slower Indycars are, they have also lost interest.

On an editorial note- it's interesting how many people think this is exactly what NASCAR needs- as if their fans don't count.  If this was REALLY want they needed, they would be adding many more road course races for decades.   IMHO, there's plenty of road race series out there for me to watch to really worry if NASCAR is on a road course or not.  And having watched some recent races on road courses- and the carnage that always happens at the end- I'm not planning on watching.  Segments, competition yellows, LOOOOONG yellows, and sloppy driving late in the races after yellows may be appealing to thousands and thousands of others- just not to me.

About as entertaining as a sumo wrestler trying to dance ballet.

IMHO a better race would be take the Cup cars to Bowman Gray Stadium for a 100 lap event.  Caution laps don't count and leave pit crews at home.

RacingComputers
RacingComputers Reader
8/1/20 10:54 a.m.

I do not believe that this will not be the wreck fest some of you are wishing for.

 

YRMV

kevinatfms
kevinatfms Reader
8/3/20 1:22 p.m.
RacingComputers said:

I do not believe that this will not be the wreck fest some of you are wishing for.

 

YRMV

Have you seen the Charlotte ROVAL races? Its absolute carnage.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
8/3/20 1:40 p.m.

Skittles in a food processor?

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
xNOKqA5SYSmIZH0l4Xf4huidpqyCBx3j5PF6M4eNFQKq0ZXOuh6onMM4VXy3DKuy