irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/29/22 9:37 p.m.

Come join us in 2023 for DC RallyCross in the Mid-Atlantic!

With the winter here, it's time to start thinking about something fun to do with your car in 2023. So come join us in the Spring for some off-road competition that you can do with almost any car! The season usually gets going in March/April so you have all winter to find/build a car (or just use what you have!)

What is rallycross?

Rallycross is racing/timed competition on dirt, gravel, mud, grass, and any mixture of those. If you're familiar with autocross, it's the same concept, but with more seat time, constantly-changing courses, and way cooler pictures of your car

Where does DC RallyCross run?

Most of our events for 2023 will be either at Summit Point Motorsports Park (about an hour outside DC) or at Panthera Training Center in West Virginia (about 2 hours outside DC). Both venues have multiple courses that we use, for variety, and both have very different surfaces and terrain.

Is this like stage rally?

Kind of, but without the high risk of danger and damage. This is rally but for street cars, too. RallyCross courses are designed to avoid hitting trees, flipping your car, or crashing into a ditch. There are no gap jumps, stream crossings, or cliff-sides. Most of our attendees drive their cars to the events, and drive them home afterwards.

Can I do this with my car?

YES. Pretty much any car at or near stock height can do it, as long as you don't mind getting it dirty. Lots of folks bring their daily-drivers out or find cheap "Craigslist beaters". Or, build a car specifically for this! You do not need a fancy race car to come race with us!

So what kind of car do I need?

Really, almost anything will work” A cheap front-wheel drive econobox, A Crown Vic you found on marketplace. Your Subaru with rusty quarter panels. A Miata with a hardtop. And pretty much everything in between.

Are SUVs allowed?

Some crossover-type SUVs are allowed, but most body-on-frame SUVs/pickups are not, unless they are fairly low to the ground. You can contact us directly if you have questions about whether your vehicle is allowed to compete.

Will I damage my car?

Not usually, if you drive within your – and your car's – limits. Your suspension will get a workout and your car will get dirty but don't expect your paint to be 100% perfect afterwards. A skid plate under the engine is usually a good idea, but not totally necessary.

Does my car need to be modded or “set up" for rallycross?

No. Any car can run, and any car can win. You just need to hone your driving abilities. You will need a helmet. We do not require a roll cage, race seat, fire suit, or other expensive safety device but anything to increase your safety is encouraged. We even have loaner helmets for the first-timers!

What are the classes?

There are classes for stock vehicles (full interior, street tires/snow tires) with minimal modifications allowed (shocks, mufflers, etc), Prepared vehicles (more modifications, no interior required, competition rally tires allowed), and Modified vehicles (most modifications are allowed, provided they are safe). Each of those has a sub-class for FWD, RWD, and AWD cars. We also have a class for side-by-sides with certain competition requirements.

All-wheel drive classes are largely made up of various Subarus, but any AWD car can compete. Front-wheel drive is competitive in almost any compact car – Civic, Sentra, Focus/Fiesta, or whatever 15-year-old commuter car you can find cheap. Rear-wheel drive has a lot of 80s-90s BMWs, Miatas, RX-7s, and things like that but you'll also have a blast in a Mustang or Camaro, or anything else RWD.

How do I find out more?

Feel free to come to one of our events to see how things go. Most drivers are happy to give ride-alongs. Rallycross events are laid-back where everyone is friendly and eager to chat about the sport.

What's the next step to get involved?

Read our supplementary regulations (available on the website below). They will give you a good idea of how our events operate and will answer 98% of your questions. Otherwise you can ask questions on our facebook page (DC RallyCross), check out the official website (https://www.wdcr-scca.org/rallycross), or send a direct email to rallychair@wdcr-scca.org.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/30/22 3:23 p.m.

Love the RX S2000.

NorseDave
NorseDave HalfDork
10/30/22 3:35 p.m.

Perhaps now that I have the 190's Microsquirt conversion sorted out I should come out again.

10/30/22 9:47 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Love the RX S2000.

sadly, he went back to running his GC 2.5 RS after a year of the s2k running against no real competition in SR class (won it, of course). Of course, he's a multi-time SA class champion as well.  The S2K is actually his daily driver.

10/30/22 9:48 p.m.
NorseDave said:

Perhaps now that I have the 190's Microsquirt conversion sorted out I should come out again.

definitely!

NorseDave
NorseDave HalfDork
10/31/22 8:09 p.m.

When will the '23 schedule be released?

10/31/22 8:51 p.m.
NorseDave said:

When will the '23 schedule be released?

Generally it will be after new years, depends a lot on when we get finalized commitments from the venues and from SCCA. First event is usually in March or April and we should have a schedule out well before then. First place it's usually posted is on the DC rally cross Facebook page

3/4/24 11:15 p.m.

Bumping this up for 2024 season. We're running at Summit Point and Panthera again, two of the best RX venues in the eastern US. Come join us!

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.dashboard/uidEvent/2B0A5F3A-F6D7-4572-63EB887B33682AF2/uidMember/D6DD8114-C8B9-B8D6-A862921D477DF8EF

Motojunky
Motojunky New Reader
3/5/24 9:51 a.m.

I did most of the Susquehanna region events last year and would like to try some of the DC events this year. I haven't raced at Summit Point in a long time (holy crap - 30 years). I did pop in and spectate a motorcycle track day & Autocross for a couple of hours a few years back. Can you share some intel? Where do we enter (assuming the main gate, which way to the RX area)? Can we arrive the night before and camp at the track? 

Thanks 

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
3/5/24 10:34 a.m.

Coming in the main gate, turn left at the stop sign and just stay on that road, you'll see the main track to your right and an open gate in the deer fence to your left. Go through the gate and follow the gravel road to paddock, where you will see a collection of cars parked in the grass.  Depending conditions, you'll find out which of the 2 courses will be run that day. 

Unless there is a change for 2024, yes, you can stay overnight with your car in paddock.

Katie - DCRX Registration Chief

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
3/5/24 10:42 a.m.

In reply to Motojunky :

what car did you run at susquehanna?

Motojunky
Motojunky New Reader
3/5/24 10:43 a.m.

Thanks! 

Is the area marked with the question mark below the paddock? 

Motojunky
Motojunky New Reader
3/5/24 10:45 a.m.

In reply to camopaint0707 :

A E36 M3box Subaru. Pic below, so you can tell mine from all of the other E36 M3box Subarus. :)

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
3/5/24 10:58 a.m.

In reply to Motojunky :

No, on that map, take the road through fence to Training Campus Road. Drive across that road and you'll be at paddock.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
3/5/24 12:00 p.m.

In reply to Motojunky :

Ahhh so you'd be Craig lol.  Quick little car lol.

Motojunky
Motojunky New Reader
3/5/24 12:08 p.m.

In reply to camopaint0707 :

Well now I feel exposed. :) I gather we've met? Who are you? 

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
3/5/24 12:12 p.m.

In reply to Motojunky :

Sorry, I literally just checked the susq results is all.  Wasn't trying to expose you lol.  Just cool to see another local member on here.

Fupdiggity
Fupdiggity Reader
4/3/24 1:25 p.m.

It's been over 2 years, but my car is finally back together & ready for some rallycross. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I'll be there on may 5th hunting cones!

4/4/24 7:14 p.m.
Fupdiggity said:

It's been over 2 years, but my car is finally back together & ready for some rallycross. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I'll be there on may 5th hunting cones!

niiice

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/4/24 8:08 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

Bumping this up for 2024 season. We're running at Summit Point and Panthera again, two of the best RX venues in the eastern US. Come join us!

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.dashboard/uidEvent/2B0A5F3A-F6D7-4572-63EB887B33682AF2/uidMember/D6DD8114-C8B9-B8D6-A862921D477DF8EF

Is there a way to see the info without signing up?

4/4/24 10:01 p.m.
yupididit said:
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

Is there a way to see the info without signing up?

IDK, i seem to be able to see info without be logged in. What are you looking to see that's not there?

yupididit
4/5/24 7:59 a.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

When I click the link it sends me to a sign up page for motorsportreg

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/24 8:23 a.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

When I click the link it sends me to a sign up page for motorsportreg

Does this link work?

DC RallyCross Event # 2 (motorsportreg.com)

yupididit
4/7/24 1:25 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

Yes thank you

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SpVYPqpUJ9Bbp21ayUP5EBHK6G6d9Un2Ky3UTdbXJfdFirIWfPr6btLtVZMEBKQ7