1 2
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/10/22 5:12 p.m.

So we are pairing down our fleet due to moving and want to get one large family vehicle.  This SUV will need to seat 4 in comfort, seat up to 7, be able to go camping when the pavement ends, have heated rear seats (middle row), have all the amenities, look nice in the city, be wife friendly, and able to tow 7000 lbs minimum (this is what I find a comfortable rating for towing cars).  Oh, and it needs to be reasonable priced (the big gotcha). 

Our list to drive right now is:

1)  A low mileage used Audi Q7 with towing pkg.  The wife loves German cars, and has owned serveral.  She has a Tiguan now, but it won't cut it.  The Atlas does not tow enough and may not be roomy enough.  A lot of Porsche guys use Cayennes as tow rigs and this is really similar. 

2)  The Chevy Tahoe Z71.  This checks all my boxes for offroad, camping and towing.  They are spendy, but not like some other vehicles as capable.  Wife loves the captains chairs in the middle, more space to put the kids further back, ability to hold lots of stuff, and looks.  It also has a nice steering wheel heater (like my Colorado).  Will it ride to rough for the wife?  The newer ones have magnetic dampers which should help a lot.  Like a lot of cars, we could save some by ordering new and waiting.  This is the max reach of our new budget.  I only like having one car payment at a time, and I like paying them off fast.  Her Tiguan is paid off, but I just ordered a new Civic Si for me.  I don't have enough cash to buy both outright (at least not today). 

3) A new Dodge Durango R/T AWD.  My wife is open to this one, but it's not as big with Captains chairs.  We think grandma and kiddo would be further from us and happier in captain's chairs.  In my Colorado or in the Tiguan if we have lots of road trip junk they get crowded.  We like camping trips, beach trips, various state parts, etc.  This thing is a towing beast.  My wife likes it, but she thinks it looks like an SUV Challenger (aka a big male organ mobile).   She is interested because of the capability and price.  She said, "I've been surprised before." 

4)  A used Escalade.  It's a Tahoe but nicer.  I can't afford new, but an '18 or '19 would be in reach.  They too have magnetic dampers which should help with the truck like feel. 

Honestly I feel like the Tahoe or Escalade will go forever on their LS Juan based engines and truck chassis.  It would take our family anywhere we need to go. 

Am I missing other obvious choices?  I checked Lexus LX570 prices and almost had a heart attack.  They make new Escalades seem reasonable.  The Lincoln SUV looks hideous inside.  The Ford Explorer?   Honda, Toyota and other SUVs just don't seem to pull enough.   The Landcruiser is priced just like the LX570.

Trucks are a no go for the wife.  She wants all the room inside, which I get and agree for this vehicle. 

My wife loved the look of the Durango SRT, but I told her she didn't want to go that fast or have that fuel economy.  But I'd probably love it. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/22 5:16 p.m.

Do you really need to seat 7? Like *really* really? No?

Then Cayenne. Tows 7,700 lbs, affordable, looks fancy but has the real off road chops. 

Do you really need 7? Then Escalade EXT is your answer.

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
3/10/22 5:20 p.m.

Ford Expedition, Nissan Armada, new Jeep Grand Cherokee L

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/10/22 5:21 p.m.

Reasonable price?  You're probably going to have to define "reasonable".  But the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban has been the easy button to this equation for years.

3/10/22 5:48 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Yes, we could easily have 6 or 7 people on trips or even around town.  Kiddo is much more popular than I am and so is the wife.  I know it's hard to imagine, but I'm not a reflection of them :p. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/10/22 5:54 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

Reasonable price?  You're probably going to have to define "reasonable".  But the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban has been the easy button to this equation for years.

The new Z71 Tahoe starts at $62.5k with the 5.3, or $71k with the 6.2. 

wake74
wake74 Reader
3/10/22 6:19 p.m.

A Sequoia seems to check all the boxes, but again you'd have to define "reasonable"

3/10/22 6:32 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Yes I know.  That's about the max I can pay with the cash we have to put down and keep the payment under $600.  I hate car payments and usually pay them off pretty quick.  I just signed up for a '22 Civic Si today too which is going to be sold to me for MSRP.  I'm hoping to find a GM or Chevy dealer willing to do the same if the wife likes the Tahoe / Yukon. 

3/10/22 6:33 p.m.
wake74 said:

A Sequoia seems to check all the boxes, but again you'd have to define "reasonable"

Thank you!  That's why I came here.  I knew I missed one!  We will have to see what is available and if she likes driving it. 

imgon
imgon HalfDork
3/10/22 6:37 p.m.

If 7 people you want a Suburban, Yukon XL or Escalade EXT, the length is needed for the 3rd row to be useful. Even then 7 adults won't be comfy. 4 adults and 3 little kids maybe. If doing 7 or more regularly, you may want a 15 passenger van and configure to your liking. None of these options are what I would call reasonably priced.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/10/22 6:48 p.m.

We have been quite happy with our 2018 Armada.  It tows well and is a nice place to spend time.

It was a good bit less expensive than a Tahoe and didn't feel as monstrous as a similar year sequoia.

3/10/22 6:55 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

We had an Armada once as a long trip rental and it was surprisingly good. 

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
3/10/22 8:30 p.m.

The current gen GM SUVs have switched to IRS, so they might ride a bit nicer than the previous generations that all had solid rear axles.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/10/22 8:40 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

It is sold as a Nissan Patrol over seas and is a competitor to the land cruiser.  Granted ours does not get the fancy differentials etc. but it has been excellent for what we do with it.

I actually bought mine from enterprise with 36k on it for $25k in 2019.  It is a 2018 4x4 with heated seats and the power tailgate.  I had a local upholstery shop add leather seats after i bought it. 

Obviously they are no longer available for 25k but at the time a comparable Tahoe was almost twice as much.

I have no idea what they sell for now.  We have put 40k trouble free miles on it since February of 2019.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
3/11/22 6:29 a.m.

QX80 or Armada Platinum Is where I would look fancy enough for the wife, tows has heated second row.   I loved the VK56 in my Pathfinder it won't be fast in a QX but still a great motor.

My daughter has a late teens Escalade, nice but the third row is terrible compared to my Expedition.  

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/11/22 7:00 a.m.

A couple people have mentioned the Escalade and I have a minor correction. 
EXT = Avalanche, 5 people little tiny pick up bed

ESV = Suburban. 

JAdams
JAdams GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/11/22 9:34 a.m.

Escalade ESV all the way!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/11/22 10:22 a.m.

Get an Expedition Maxx in the Limited trim level. Not fully loaded but it'll have all that you're looking for

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/11/22 12:40 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
z31maniac said:

Yes I know.  That's about the max I can pay with the cash we have to put down and keep the payment under $600.  I hate car payments and usually pay them off pretty quick.  I just signed up for a '22 Civic Si today too which is going to be sold to me for MSRP.  I'm hoping to find a GM or Chevy dealer willing to do the same if the wife likes the Tahoe / Yukon. 

I'm sure you do. I was responding to the person who asked "reasonable." So I went and looked up the prices for him to give him an idea of what you think is "reasonable."

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/11/22 2:30 p.m.

Kia Telluride. I've seen a few of these on the road and they have my interest. https://www.kia.com/us/en/telluride/specs  Not saying it's the answer, but worth a look. Towing capacity is only 5k, seats 7 (8?), ~$33k "starting price". Do 'We' already know anything about these?

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
3/11/22 4:25 p.m.
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

Kia Telluride. I've seen a few of these on the road and they have my interest. https://www.kia.com/us/en/telluride/specs  Not saying it's the answer, but worth a look. Towing capacity is only 5k, seats 7 (8?), ~$33k "starting price". Do 'We' already know anything about these?

It's essentially the replacement for the 2013-2020 full sized Hyundai Santa Fe/Kia Sportage. That car had the same power (from a smaller engine), tow rating, fuel efficiency and 3 row seating.

Everybody wants a Telluride right now because they look good and have nice interiors, but that means dealers are often charging over sticker for them. 

If you just want the specs and performance, the older full sized Santa Fe gets you the same capabilities for way less cash.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/11/22 4:46 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

I'd hate to have more than 5 people in a Telluride. They're nice though. 

3/11/22 9:19 p.m.

5k towing isn't enough IMO.  It's marginal to pull cars.  I'm thinking of towing the Camaro to Colorado as an example.  That would be horrible in a 5k tow rig.  

3/11/22 9:43 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Well in this day and age reasonable is whole lot more than it used to be.  Full size nice SUVs are 50-70k.  Sadly, that seems fairly reasonable given this silly economy.  I'd like to be under that, but don't see how it'll make the family happy and meet out specs.  I understand everyone's definition of reasonable is different.  This vehicle needs to do a lot to be worth that cost.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/11/22 10:01 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Well in this day and age reasonable is whole lot more than it used to be.  Full size nice SUVs are 50-70k.  Sadly, that seems fairly reasonable given this silly economy.  I'd like to be under that, but don't see how it'll make the family happy and meet out specs.  I understand everyone's definition of reasonable is different.  This vehicle needs to do a lot to be worth that cost.  

I know what you mean. Even before all the COVID/chip shortage pricing, I didn't think new car prices were reasonable for most people.

I've bought a few new cars, but haven't since Oct 2014. And I understand when you account for inflation and how much safer, more powerful, and more well equipped cars are now than before, they are cheaper.

But when the average person is comfortable with a $550+ plus monthly payment for 84-90 months......it's just bonkers.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
9vWTx7373I271iTxW6UkqLZI47xpZRcvNJ2W9ePvMRO9PyDAlSJrw8EQbPaUiucY