1 2
ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
10/10/16 7:30 a.m.
Wall-e wrote: In reply to wlkelley3: The newer Craftsmen stuff I have has been disappointing. Chrome peeling off new sockets leaving very sharp edges and ratchets that started skipping almost from new. I broke down and got some nice new Matco ratchets from a wife's coworker and have been hordeing old sockets from flea markets and yard sales.

Not having much luck on Craigslist finding stuff of quality. Might take some buy back money from the TDI when vw buys it back (assuming that is completed before Christmas) and get him a really decent American made set as a Christmas gift.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/10/16 8:38 a.m.

I'm thrilled with my Stanley set I bought more than 10 years ago. I supplement that kit with HF stuff (impact sets, extensions, breaker bars, torque wrenches) as necessary.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/16 8:47 a.m.

the only HF tool I ever had any luck with was a Chicago Reciprocating saw. Everything else has been trash. I remember breaking a socket extension the very first time I used it, it's replacement, from Lowes, still works and looks fine.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
10/10/16 8:05 p.m.

In reply to Wall-e: The newer Craftsmen I have aren't chrome, matte black. Ratchets and extension are good, don't like the sockets with the teeth instead of hex. Do have a 1/4" drive Craftsman Evolve socket set that is nice and the ratcheting combo wrenches are good. My go-to tool.

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
10/10/16 8:18 p.m.

I've had good luck with tools from Princess Auto up here (similar to Harbor Freight). If I don't buy North American made tools, I look for Taiwan Made. The ratchet I bought made there is top notch and better than my older Craftsman stuff. I've had good luck with Husky and Kobalt as well.

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/10/16 8:37 p.m.

I'll throw in a word for duralast tools. They have a lifetime warranty and I haven't been able to break any yet. Prices aren't bad either and are available at any autozone. I also own older craftsman (20 years old) and various others, but anytime I lose something I have been replacing it with duralast with decent results.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
10/11/16 10:35 a.m.

I like Autozone Duralast tools a lot. They feel like rip-offs of old Blue Point tools, and they're made in the ROC.

For a few heavily used items (3/8" drive ratchet, Allen sockets, 10, 14, 17 sockets, 10, 14, 17 wrenches, Philips head screwdrivers), go with Snap-On. American-made, absolutely the best, lifetime warranty, and cheaper than stripping even one or two bolts.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/11/16 11:15 a.m.
Iusedtobefast wrote: I haven't had this experience recently, but I've been told Craftsman no longer has lifetime warranty. A friend took a broken tool back and the person there told him that, so you might check on that. I have a mix of Craftsman and SK, both have been great.

That's not correct. I've never had an issue swapping them.

In fact, to protect the "lifetime warranty" claim, there are actually some products they have discontinued. There is no longer such thing as a Craftsman tape measure. If you have one and break it, they will give you a new comparable Stanley (without the warranty).

Your friend probably had "Sears" brand stuff, or something else. If it says "Craftsman", it's still warranted. (only for hand tools- not power tools)

pres589
pres589 UberDork
10/11/16 11:31 a.m.

Very happy with the SK stuff. I purchase through Amazon or my local Big Tool Store (actual name of the place, love going there). Used to buy Craftsmen but don't see the point anymore; if I am okay with buying from China, I might as well get Kobalt or whatever is handy.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/16 12:20 p.m.

Check out the tools at your local Pep Boys or Autozone or similar. They often have screaming deals on complete starter sets, especially around the holidays. Most have a cheap brand and a better brand, the better brand can be pretty darn good stuff with a good warranty.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MhgTgfqcx1x0L3IjUv0t9D2OcTP9GcIbtKI91XqYTHIL8LtNlgEPZsBG2cYVYBv5