RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
6/21/13 4:45 a.m.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/nissan-zeod-rc-racecar-debuts-at-le-mans.html

As if the DeltaWing wasn't out there enough, now Nissan has built an all-electric, stand-alone car based on the DeltaWing concept. It will race in the 2014 24 Hours of LeMans from Garage 56.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/13 9:13 a.m.

Oooh, nice!

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
6/21/13 9:14 a.m.

I'm looking forward to more technical specs!

Bryce

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
6/21/13 9:15 a.m.

I wonder how long the lights will be that far back, I'd imagine that the light spread would get into the cabin somehow, then again its probably and LED light which is directional...

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
6/21/13 9:26 a.m.

No word about this from the Deltawing camp. They didn't have a relationship with Nissan this year, so I wonder if they licensing the design or if they have been re-engaged to build the ZEOD RC chassis?

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
6/21/13 9:27 a.m.

The lights will maybe keep other drivers from forgetting that theres more car sticking out at that rear when they see the nose... I sort of remember this looked like a problem last year.

Cant WAIT to see the pit stops

slefain
slefain UltraDork
6/21/13 9:34 a.m.

So you charge it overnight and get 10 minutes of driving time the next day?

"Come son of Jor-El, kneel before ZEOD!

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/21/13 9:35 a.m.

In reply to BobOfTheFuture:

So, if they run it as full electric, does this mean we will see battery pack changes during pit stops?

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
6/21/13 9:54 a.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to BobOfTheFuture: So, if they run it as full electric, does this mean we will see battery pack changes during pit stops?

Thats my guess. Wonder how they will do it... Cant wait to see.

As I see it, Racing electrics against conventional fuel cars would be the best way to pioneer tech that will close the gap between the two. If they can keep up for a 24H race, Maybe it will mean they will keep up in daily life a little sooner...

t25torx
t25torx Reader
6/21/13 9:56 a.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to BobOfTheFuture: So, if they run it as full electric, does this mean we will see battery pack changes during pit stops?

Seeing them flip the whole car over and get out a giant Phillips head to remove the battery cover would be pretty entertaining.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
6/21/13 10:03 a.m.
t25torx wrote:
Seeing them flip the whole car over and get out a giant Phillips head to remove the battery cover would be pretty entertaining.

Does it come with a micro Philips head in the vacuum sealed box.

[URL=http://media.photobucket.com/user/ssale9/media/toys/DSC09216.jpg.html][/URL]

Batteries not included.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Dork
6/21/13 10:21 a.m.
t25torx wrote:

They are going to need a dumpster for all the battery packaging.

How many 'D' cells do you need to make 24H?

beans
beans Reader
6/21/13 10:23 a.m.

Deltawings remind me of those mid 90's futuristic racing games with really nutty looking cars.

But they need to add a minigun or two to make it interesting.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
6/21/13 10:54 a.m.
BobOfTheFuture wrote: As I see it, Racing electrics against conventional fuel cars would be the best way to pioneer tech that will close the gap between the two. If they can keep up for a 24H race, Maybe it will mean they will keep up in daily life a little sooner...

Funny you should mention that. See the latest Tesla news? Keep in mind they can already go a few hundred miles on a charge, similar to most gas cars...

http://vimeo.com/68832891

Bryce

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/21/13 11:14 a.m.
t25torx wrote:

This is completely say what worthy.......

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Dork
6/21/13 11:17 a.m.
Nashco wrote:
BobOfTheFuture wrote: As I see it, Racing electrics against conventional fuel cars would be the best way to pioneer tech that will close the gap between the two. If they can keep up for a 24H race, Maybe it will mean they will keep up in daily life a little sooner...
Funny you should mention that. See the latest Tesla news? Keep in mind they can already go a few hundred miles on a charge, similar to most gas cars... http://vimeo.com/68832891 Bryce

Yep, Its getting there. No good wars going on right now So that means the only innovation-accelerator we have right now is true (not spec, or at least loose spec) racing like LeMans

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
6/21/13 11:54 a.m.

THe Nissan racer is a hybrid, not a full electric. it's electric On Demand (as the name says)

"Nissan’s team of engineering boffins will need all the time they can get. The automaker is the first to admit current battery tech doesn’t provide the storage necessary to compete in a 24-hour endurance race. The name Zero Emission On Demand suggests the car won’t be fully electric, but instead a gas-electric hybrid of some kind. Andy Palmer, Nissan’s executive VP and executive committee member, says as much.

“The ZEOD RC program is designed to develop multiple technologies to evaluate how they could be used for a future LM P1 class return of Nissan at the Le Mans 24 Hour,” he said in a release. “There are multiple options we are investigating. A Zero Emission on Demand option where the driver can switch between electric and petrol-powered drive is a future direction for road cars, so that will be tested in addition to pure electric power and other new technologies that we still have under development.”

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/21/13 12:01 p.m.

So in other words, they aren't sure how toyota pulled off the TS030 yet? Granted, IDK how far they can run off their supercapacitor only.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E1ITtz3sXWBObYptqaZqJDMYMaxwcf0bKLUhuWUJtbCx7ipgdT6VdOZVB7Rjlvil