1 2 3
hotchocolate
hotchocolate Reader
3/19/15 2:13 p.m.

I have always wanted someone to do this to keep me from having to learn the hard way. To all of us cheap luxury loving people here is our cold water of reality.

http://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz/cl-class/2005/long-term-road-test/wrap-up.html

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
3/19/15 2:21 p.m.

Ouch on the repair cost.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/19/15 2:22 p.m.

When I bought my 300TD recently my wife asked me what we were going to do when some very expensive MB issue came up. (Note she said "when", not 'if", clever girl)

I told her, I paid $800 for the car, I've got about another $300 into it, I'll sell it for $800. So far I've gotten 3 months of use out of it. :-)

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/19/15 2:35 p.m.

Well, that's.... sobering.

espz28
espz28 New Reader
3/19/15 2:49 p.m.

Thanks, I needed that.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
3/19/15 2:51 p.m.

Ooofff is all I have to say

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/19/15 2:52 p.m.

My boss just got rid of a '05 diesel benz. Real nice riding, nice looking modern MB.
I think everything that needed to be fixed required a shipment of parts from Germany. Rear end (on a low power diesel?), intake manifold, etc.
I won't ever buy one after watching it all unfold.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/15 2:52 p.m.

Keep in mind, all of this was just over the cost of 1 set of brake pads for an R35 GTR

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
3/19/15 2:59 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Keep in mind, all of this was just over the cost of 1 set of brake pads for an R35 GTR

Bull Pucks

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/29886-05215555.html?utm_content=DN&utm_term=2009-2013+Nissan+GTR+Brake+Pads+Centric+104.13820+Front+09-13+Nissan+Brake+Pad+Set+2010&fp=pp&gbm=a&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=CPTb4OSZtcQCFZGIaQodkQQAKQ

Rotors are ~2K if you shop around for a full set.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
3/19/15 3:01 p.m.

That thing uses more oil than any of my beaters!

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
3/19/15 3:06 p.m.

It's pretty scary, but at the same time, a quick search shows that you could easily cut that in half with a bit of shopping around.

Still 5K a year is too rich for my blood.

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
3/19/15 3:06 p.m.
Yes, you can buy a Mercedes-Benz with a hand-built V12 engine for less than the price of an average midsize SUV, but be prepared to spend the cost of a subcompact hatchback to keep it running in peak condition.

Sums it up well!

This is why as much as a love Audis and to a lesser degree BMWs I have yet to be brave enough to buy one.

The only sane way to buy something like this would be through Doug Demuro's Carmax Bumper to Bumper Warranty Scheme:

Why Your Next Unreliable Luxury Car Should Come From CarMax

In a nut shell, if you want to buy something like this with an insane cost for maintenance then go buy it from CarMax and buy a bumper to bumper warranty from them. It may cost around $3K for most examples he has posted, but you could then afford to drive something like this.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/19/15 3:23 p.m.

I does bring up the question I wonder about: Who the hell buys these things used!?!? Especially when they get a few miles on them.

Realistically, what happens to most of these cars? (e.g. large Merc, Audis, BMW etc) I suspect once they get to a point of needing enough repair, they are just scrapped and parted out. You certainly don't see "beater" versions running around, like you used to see with older Cadillacs.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/19/15 4:26 p.m.

How much of that work is DIYable? I kind of don't mind paying for parts (even expensive ones) if I feel like I save a LOT in labor. If you could diagnose and turn wrenches one one,it doesn't sound too bad.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/19/15 4:30 p.m.

Seems like it used a lot of oil.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/19/15 5:17 p.m.

Looking at the list, the vast majority of it was on ABC components. That and the $600 oil change.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
3/19/15 5:41 p.m.

Probably used a lot of oil because it had bad turbo seals. Which they declined to have fixed.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
3/19/15 5:50 p.m.

We owned a 2001 MB E55 from 2003 to 2006, at the time of replacement the front rotors and pads were $1800. The front bumper cover was replaced for $3500, the COVER. Three electric steering racks and rear tires regularly(my bad) made it expensive to own. Owning a Boxster S at the same time that needed $0 maintenance besides expected (and rear tires) really made me think.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
3/19/15 6:12 p.m.

I hope nobody was surprised by any of that. The only shock to me was the low cost of repair.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/19/15 6:54 p.m.

Wow almost $1/mile. I wonder if it would keep that up vs how much was basically deferred stuff from PO.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/15 7:06 p.m.

What a POS. I'v spent less than that maintaining a Ford for the last 200K miles.

calteg
calteg HalfDork
3/19/15 7:07 p.m.

A great summation of why the only used luxury cars I will own are Lexus'

sanman
sanman HalfDork
3/19/15 8:59 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Don't buy an R8 with the original struts either. They leak, and are $2,000 each to replace.

Sounds like a bargain, I am pretty sure that the rear spoiler on the gallardo costs more than that.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/19/15 10:16 p.m.

And I remember why my last 11 cars have been Japanese. It's crazy.

I did do the aftermarket warranty on the wives german car and it paid for itself. Finicky bmw nav unit.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
3/19/15 10:23 p.m.

I don't think anyone will deny that a car like that can nickle and dime and dollar you to death, but Edmunds...seriously?

$629 to change oil, air filter, and diff fluid?

$4500 to change 24 spark plugs, a hose, and rear brake pads? That's more than I've spent on a full Bilstein cup suspension, clutch/flywheel replacement, timing belt/water pump kit, 2 sets of Hawk HPS pads and new rotors, a tune, and two sets of wheels and tires COMBINED on my WRX.....

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PvbitF1UGGs32cigpBjcYzQibEWKJRPd0M33uHE4XcOX1rEU75FG4XhGlocHwlmz