Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/4/22 4:09 p.m.

This press release just came across my desk, and I figured I'd share it with the rest of the class.

The big takeaway? That 1400 tons of equipment includes the F1 cars, the tires and all the rest of the necessary stuff to actually hold an F1 race. (I'm glad I'm not  responsible for those logistics.)

Plantation, FL, May 4, 2022: In Florida for the first time since 1959 and delivered by DHL, the FIA Formula One World Championship™ cargo has arrived in Miami. 

As its Official Logistics Partner since 2004, DHL is powering the enormous logistical effort behind Formula 1® once again this year, managing the transportation of up to 1,400 tons of highly valuable freight to every race, including race cars, tires, replacement parts, fuel, broadcasting equipment, and marketing and hospitality equipment. 

“We have been managing logistics for Formula 1 for nearly 40 years and with the continued growth in the sport’s popularity – with more race dates and venues being added to the season calendar – logistics remains a huge part of what makes the F1 experience possible,” said Paul Fowler, Vice President for Global Motorsports, DHL Global Forwarding. “We’re thrilled to be able to bring the equipment and cars for the race to South Florida. We are not only focused on delivering the race around the world, but also on doing so as sustainably as possible.” 

This year marks an exciting new era in Formula 1, with all-new cars designed for closer racing action, along with increased safety and sustainability. The new cars this year will be powered by E10 fuel, a mixture of 90% fossil fuel and 10% ethanol, bringing Formula 1 one step closer to its goal of a 100% sustainably fueled hybrid engine by 2025. 

Focused on helping Formula 1 achieve its target of a net-zero carbon footprint by 2030, DHL is fitting its entire fleet of F1-dedicated trucks with GPS to monitor fuel consumption, select the most efficient routes, and lower CO2 emissions. 

“As the industry leader in green logistics, we are uniquely qualified to deliver with sustainable solutions that help our customers, such as Formula 1, reduce their carbon footprint and overall environmental impact,” added Fowler. “We are truly proud to be supporting F1 as they continue to set new standards in automotive technology and sustainability.” 

Other measures include the use of DHL’s modern fuel-efficient Boeing 777 aircraft, which reduce carbon emissions by 18% compared to older aircraft, and leveraging multi-modal transport solutions, including overland and ocean freight. 

DHL’s dedicated team of more than 50 international motorsports specia lists, including 35 individuals dedicated solely to the logistics of moving Formula 1 around the world, works closely with F1 management and the teams to ensure seamless logistics support for races and official test runs around the world. 

To bring the cargo to the United States for the Miami race, DHL is using multi-modal transport solutions, including overland and ocean freight, to reduce the environmental impact of Formula 1 logistics. DHL also provides comprehensive track & trace of the cargo while in transit, as well as customs brokerage, pickup, and customs clearance services for the races around the world. 

Ben Pincus, Director of Commercial Partnerships, Formula 1 said: “We are so excited to be bringing F1 to Miami and while every new race we have is a new challenge logistically, we have full faith in DHL to help deliver a successful event with their decades of expertise and experience. ” 

On a mission to accelerate sustainable business within the next decade, Deutsche Post DHL Group’s Sustainability Roadmap includes a €7 billion investment (through 2030) in clean logistics operations with the goal of reducing emissions from 33 million tons in 2020 to under 29 million tons by 2030, despite the expected further growth in the Group’s global logistics activities. To achieve its target, the Group will increase the share of sustainable fuels in its ground line haul to >30%, increase sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) blend in its dedicated air network to >30%, offer green alternatives for 100% of all core products & solutions, and design 100% of all new DHL buildings to be carbon neutral. The company also plans to electrify 60% of last-mile delivery vehicles, deploying more than 80,000 e-vehicles on the road by 2030. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/4/22 4:49 p.m.

That's a lot of stuff. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/4/22 4:52 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

That's a lot of stuff. 

That car must be heavier than it looks, or else the platform is a solid ingot of lead.

David S. Wallens
5/4/22 4:53 p.m.

And sorta related, last night we had dinner with a friend who just took an IT job with one of the big, big sanctioning bodies. She's new to racing but, obviously, not to IT. 

Just imagine the logistics for something like an F1 race or Daytona 500. And then try to wrap your arms around just one piece of that puzzle, like food, IT, parking, sanitation, merch, etc. That’s a lot of moving pieces, many of which will be operating out of temporary housing. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/4/22 4:59 p.m.

For reference, 1400 tons comes out to 2,800,000 pounds, which is equal to about 1141  RF Grand Touring Miatas (with the manual).

Imagine trying to transport that many Miatas across the globe.

David S. Wallens
5/4/22 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I could imagine transporting 1140 RF Grand Touring Miatas across the globe but can’t picture the full 1141. smiley

David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Colin Wood :

I could imagine transporting 1140 RF Grand Touring Miatas across the globe but can’t picture the full 1141. smiley

Because it would be parked in your garage?

David S. Wallens
5/4/22 7:14 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

I like that. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
5/4/22 7:37 p.m.

I would love to see how detailed the customs forms are , 

147 tires - soft compound etc......and on and on.....

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/22 7:46 p.m.

And here I thought the teams were individually responsible for it!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/4/22 7:49 p.m.

There is a ton of gear they have to bring. I'll have to ask tomorrow but I'm curious who is responsible for the camera arrays. Not the broadcast ones as I know a lot of the team that travels for that but the race control cameras. I know I had to write an incident report at COTA because a squirrel ate the wires. I can't imaging the problems there getting all of those in place and working good. Radio nets, safety lights, TSP boards....There is a ton not even counting the teams gear.  

I'm really interested to see it all tomorrow. Hope it's not raining off and on all weekend like it has been today. But it is Florida so the rain gear is in the back pack. 

ian sane
ian sane GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/5/22 10:21 a.m.

I can't imagine DHL is doing much else. I just got a transmission delivered yesterday from them. From England. That was sent on friday. A TRANSMISSION. The guy called and said he tried to deliver it tuesday but I wasn't home! 

David S. Wallens
5/6/22 11:34 a.m.

In reply to ian sane :

So, basically, your transmission flew coach. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YjZ1ckZZRer592Z7JlMdvYbZZCLXTnpZlEZE236qnnNxv7Ea3kAYauBBtPQSuHVQ