Jerry
Jerry UberDork
12/13/19 12:17 p.m.

R&T had yet another list-icle on my Facebook feed, "29 cars manufacturers should bring back", or something.  Almost always the same cars, and the MR2 is almost always on the list.

But I commented that a new MR2 would probably weigh 3700# and have a BMW engine.  I've had two MK1's (regular and an SC), loved them both.  Would love another and casually thinking about MK2's now.

If Toyota brought back the MR2, and it was mid-engined, light-ish weight, tossable suspension, maybe 200ish HP and an actual Toyota engine I would be first in line to trade in the Abarth.

then I thought, did I just describe a Lotus Exige? (Or Elise for a convertible experience)?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
12/13/19 12:45 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Pretty damn close you did. Niether the Lotus or the Toyota can hold candle to the X1/9 for long distance travel due to the lack of luggage space. Also both the MR2 and the Fiat are much easier to get in and out of. Top up the Lotus is crawling through a mail slot.

dps214
dps214 Reader
12/13/19 1:20 p.m.

On paper, maybe. But I would assume that being a toyota you would expect some level of reliability and reasonable cost of ownership which you won't get from any Lotus product. Also the ability to fit a regular size human into it without accidentally crumpling the windshield frame trying to climb in/out.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/13/19 1:30 p.m.

I had none of the problems you Lotus haters are spouting with my Elise.  It is not a cross country car, so it is ridiculous to bitch about luggage space.  I would still have it if it wasn't for USAA, THE WORST INSURANCE COMPANY IN THE WORLD and that dumb berkeleying kid in a Jeep.

I did like the Esprit more.  I still occasionally think about an S4s.

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
12/13/19 1:44 p.m.

What dps214 said.

As much as I love the lightweight nature of my AW11, it's going to need more power (and therefore weight) due to the market and Toyota's current lineup.  Their kind of missing a mid-tier car between the $26K 86 and the $50K Supra.  If you could keep the weight reasonable and supercharge the 300hp Camry V6 you'd have a decent reincarnation of the Mk2.  End result could be 3000lb 375hp $35K with some wiggle room.  Seems doable.  Just put double-wishbones in it this time!  At least in front if there's some sort of multilink rear.

It's fun dreaming at least.

fatallightning
fatallightning New Reader
12/13/19 2:03 p.m.

I've owned an sw20 turbo and just got out of an elise I had for 7 years. Kind of sounds like you're describing a 2zz mk3 Spyder honestly.  Elise too , to a degree. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
12/13/19 2:27 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Jerry :

Pretty damn close you did. Niether the Lotus or the Toyota can hold candle to the X1/9 for long distance travel due to the lack of luggage space. Also both the MR2 and the Fiat are much easier to get in and out of. Top up the Lotus is crawling through a mail slot.

Never owned a x1/9 but as an original owner of 94 Mr2 Turbo and an original owner of an Elise, I have cross country both 4 times across the USA, and there is plenty of luggage space for 2 people I have found . In 11 years, have never taken the tops off my Elise. 

fatallightning
fatallightning New Reader
12/13/19 3:12 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

I had the top off of my Elise 95% of the time haha. Down to low 40s. I did miss the frunk every once in a blue moon. I just picked up a 7, so no top at all on this bad boy.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/13/19 3:14 p.m.

The Elise/Exige is much more focused than the MR2 but broadly comparable. The short-lived Europa would be closest to a MR2 on a creature comforts level. Maybe an Evora.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/13/19 3:33 p.m.

With Toyota's recent habits a new MR2 would most likely also be the new Evora, and Lotus would build it.

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
12/13/19 3:36 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

Good to hear about the ownership experience with the Elise. They're still on my short list.  That said, I've heard about build quality issues on early Evoras and storage space issue didn't do the MRS any favors in the sales department.  That and I'm not sure Toyota can get away with what Lotus can in those departments.  At least they're not huge concerns of mine when I think about owning reasonably modern Loti.

Curious - what did you like more about the Esprit?  

dps214
dps214 Reader
12/13/19 4:44 p.m.

BTW, what you actually described, minus the presence of any toyota badges, was a 987.2/981 Cayman. Light (by modern standards, most are at or under 3000lb), good suspension, 265-340hp, modern car reliability, plus sweet, sweet flat 6 noises. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/19 10:13 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

You did describe a Elise/Exige.

To answer the luggage space haters. My good buddy and upcoming One Lap co drive did One Lap of America multiple times in an Elise and did not tow a trailer behind it.

He and his wife also did the American Adventure rally in the car too. You just pack differently.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 New Reader
12/14/19 6:14 a.m.
spacecadet said:

In reply to Jerry:

He and his wife also did the American Adventure rally in the car too. You just pack differently.

Differently as in a change of clothes and a bucket of tide pods?

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
12/14/19 7:50 a.m.
dps214 said:

BTW, what you actually described, minus the presence of any toyota badges, was a 987.2/981 Cayman. Light (by modern standards, most are at or under 3000lb), good suspension, 265-340hp, modern car reliability, plus sweet, sweet flat 6 noises. 

I recently got a 981 Cayman S. After 20 years of Toyota ownership with a turbo Miata in there for good measure, I can't say enough good things. It's the perfect car and reliable as a hammer. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/14/19 9:52 a.m.
Matt B said:

In reply to Dr. Hess :

Curious - what did you like more about the Esprit?  

The Esprit had a sledge hammer in the back of the seat acceleration.  The Elise did OK and the lighter weight helped it in corners, but walking away from V8's was just kinda fun and the Elise wouldn't do that.  My Esprit would do 0-60 in mid 5's, and that include a rather slow 0-something until it spooled up at about 3800 RPM.  It was difficult to drive on the street, but on a race track, the whole car came together.  All the little quirks weren't quirks anymore.  Like the headrest.  Too far back and not really comfortable.  Put a helmet on and it was perfect.  Hard to shift, except when you're nailing it on a track, then it's actually easy.

Friend of mine went to a "high speed shootout" in Kansas with his Esprit SE, running S4s ECU code.  Old airport, English cars only, fast as you can go.  He won.  On the way there, he dropped the hammer.  Kansas, roads straight as an arrow, no traffic, his foot to the floor for 8 minutes.  GPS said 184MPH.  FOR EIGHT MINUTES.  Try that in something else.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
arGs85qaEce5j3bFZ675FgM4PlLFP5KdAjKu3yH0ElbxqcUGsCZVKVkHWQQ47HIt