Madhatr
Madhatr New Reader
4/7/16 1:12 p.m.

Ok, I am not really sure if this post would be better here, or in my build thread. However I think you guys are going to enjoy this, so I didn't want it to get buried.

Starting off I got the vette repaired from my crash in February and got the new wheels and tires mounted for rally

photo 20160401_174521.jpg

Sunday, April 3rd my local SCCA club held another rallycross event. It was in an unplanted corn field, which turned out to be -very- sandy soil. It was slow going, I don't think any one was prepared for how deep it got. Several competitors got stuck.... but it made for great photos!

photo RC4316-20.jpg

photo RC4316-13.jpg

photo RC4316-21.jpg

photo RC4316-30.jpg  photo RC4316-22.jpg

photo RC4316-31.jpg

photo RC4316-8.jpg

This is the third rallycross event I have attended and am having a blast. Unfortunately due to technical issues I only got my first run on video...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/IUvWf0rDLnk

I am about 10sec off the fast guys per run, which is huge but I am going to work on it! I am signed up for autocross this sunday... we will have to see how that goes.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/7/16 1:15 p.m.

That freaking cool. I love c3s.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
4/7/16 1:15 p.m.

You sir, are winning at life.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
4/7/16 1:36 p.m.

Indeed, the win is strong with this one!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/7/16 1:46 p.m.

I've been talking about a C3 with side pipes for RX for a couple of years and nobody thought it would work. You should go to rallycross nationals, for two reasons. 1. I want to see it. 2. There is no way you won't end up with pictures of the car in some magazine somewhere with that level of awesome.

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
4/7/16 1:54 p.m.

This looks very fun. There is something oddly satisfying about rallycrossing something that makes V8 noises and has tons of torque, even if it's not competitive.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/16 2:29 p.m.

You are my new King.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/7/16 3:33 p.m.

Hey-- you were just down the road from me!

This was in Palo, right? I live just north of Vinton.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
4/7/16 3:54 p.m.

Where is this build thread you mentioned? Car looks like a hoot!

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
4/7/16 3:55 p.m.

I love this thing, that is all

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
4/7/16 7:45 p.m.

This coolness deserves a song:

"Zora loves me, this I know

Cause of all the mud I throw;

Listen to my side-pipes roar–

That's how you know I'm hard-core!

Yes, Zora loves me ...etc."

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
4/7/16 7:50 p.m.

Awesome - this will cheer up a buddy who just sold his red C3 cream puff 77 he had owned 23 years...

FooBag
FooBag GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/7/16 8:12 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

I believe it is in his plans to attend Nationals this year. If not, I'll try to drag him there. I mean, it's only ~2.5 hours away so there's no excuse.

In reply to Karacticus:

This was actually just north of Vinton as well, just east of Minne Estema Park.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/7/16 8:29 p.m.

So much winning.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/7/16 8:55 p.m.

Nice

Madhatr
Madhatr New Reader
4/7/16 11:52 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Yes, nationals are in the plans, I already have put in for the time off work! I learned of Rallycross just before nationals last year, but I didn't want my first event to be something that big. I didn't want to get in the way of people actually trying to compete. and I would have /really/ felt dumb coming unprepared and getting stuck on my first time out
Most of my co-workers think I am crazy for doing this. But I figure the late C3s are almost perfectly balanced, stock ride height is nose bleed high, and the price point for a driver is not out of reach. the only real down side is most have been neglected, need long over-due repairs and the rear suspension can be troublesome. I am curious why people told you it wouldn't work.

In reply to Karacticus:

Foobag beat me to the reply... but we must have been almost in your back yard.

In reply to 2002maniac:

Not a whole lot yet in the build tread... more like some history, but I will keep it updated as I am working. Later this summer, I am hoping to start the mods on a spare frame I have to mount C4 corvette suspension.
my build thread

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/8/16 7:41 a.m.
Madhatr wrote: In reply to Karacticus: Foobag beat me to the reply... but we must have been almost in your back yard.

Hell, I probably could have seen this from my house!

Kylini
Kylini HalfDork
4/10/16 8:22 a.m.

By the way, your car looked cleaner a few months ago. I don't know why. Must be the dirt!

I'm just glad everyone else got stuck before the Miata. Everyone expected the Miata.

P.S.: FooBag is David in the Neon (usually running the events) and I'm Kyle the crazy Miata guy.

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
4/10/16 8:56 a.m.

Awesome.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
4/10/16 5:09 p.m.

Madhatr
Madhatr New Reader
4/11/16 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Kylini:

Hey Kyle! I haven't got the chance to speak with you much at the events but it is good to here from you. I enjoy your runs, My friends and I are now like "watch the Miata!"

My car has really never been what anyone has ever called 'clean' but I think this the first time I have ever had corn stocks in the engine bay...  photo 20160409_183153.jpg

Autocross yesterday was a blast and a half, but one of these is not like the others...  photo 20160410_090319.jpg

Other than entertainment value, the grabbers did me no favors (not that I thought they would,its just the only full set of wheels I have right now). Looking at the times from yesterday I need A LOT more practice and not to be in a full on drift for most of the course

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BDvufELXJSsDuHdP1dUst0UInSjNjDVkrt2ySUzKjwHj3Ylj0kCYZ4VpRDWRRve0