Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
9/23/17 7:11 a.m.

On Subarust, which was a 2001 2.5RS there was one simple fuse to pull that the previous owner showed me.  I circled it with a Sharpie and before each event I pulled it with pliers.

Now with this 2002 WRX it seems like there are three different fuses, possible a harness.  I've read the 20A solenoid fuse is the ticket, but typical internet logic shows many different ideas.  I figured if anyone knew for certain it would be someone here.

EDIT: and what is EBD?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/23/17 9:28 a.m.

Electronic Brake Distribution?  Maybe...  Sounds like stability control, maybe.

Any fuse that ties in should murder it.  Pull one and see if it has any bad side effects.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/17 9:31 a.m.

You could always unplug one of the wheel speed sensors, which will disable ABS electronically.  Draco ran a switch to some spade-terminaled wires that plugged in to the fuse location so he could engage/disengage ABS at will.

EBD is electronic brake force distribution, basically a computer controlled proportioning valve.  EBD can be good or bad.  I kinda like it in the Volvo but it definitely takes getting used to, the pedal feel is different depending on how hard you're cornering and you can feel it kick in and out if that cornering changes while braking.  Then again its ABS works well on dirt too.

Running with/without ABS was one of the sticky points when I used to co-drive with Miles in his Outback Sport.  He ran with it disabled, i found i could get the car to rotate better with it functional because *that* car would lock up the fronts first, so you could play with it to get effectively a much higher rear brake bias.  (It did suck with the 2.5RS, and I never drove the 2.5i with ABS engaged to know how it works)

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/23/17 10:08 a.m.

I fail to see the need/desire to disable the nannies, at least in my Fiesta.   I ran it on our ice race track last winter and only saw the tc lite blink once.   Maybe the lack of power had something to do with it.

Knurled
9/23/17 10:15 a.m.

Subaru ABS can be... maddening.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
9/24/17 3:26 p.m.

I'm kinda thinking the ability to lock up the brakes on dirt would be a good thing.

Knurled
9/24/17 3:41 p.m.

Not really, no, and for the same reason it's no good on pavement: a locked up wheel can't impart any directional control. 

What's silly is, it's AWD.  You shouldn't really even need ABS with AWD because each wheel has not only a lot of drivetrain inertia attached to it, but it's also connected to all of the other wheels.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/24/17 9:13 p.m.

If your 02 WRX ABS is anything like the terrible ABS in my 04 Legacy then disabaling it is a must (I do this for the winter here as well, I refer to the ABS as the Anti Braking System). In my car it is a 30A fuse under the hood but I think the others are right that any of the fuses labelled for the ABS should do it. You'll know pretty quick if you got the right one and I don't think there is a lot of danger if you pull the wrong one.

Adam

ouchx100
ouchx100 Reader
9/24/17 9:42 p.m.

On my 2006 wrx I think its a 20amp fuse on the interior fuse panel. Left lower side of the steering wheel, disguised as a little pocket for change. Pull it out of the dash and pull the fuse out. ABS and brake lights will be on always and you will now be able to actually stop on the dirt! I've been doing this for 4..? years without damaging anything. These days if i forget to pull it.. Trying to stop from the top of second into a hairpin was scary! 

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
9/25/17 7:14 a.m.

One post I found said the 20A ABS Solenoid fuse was the ticket.  They also mentioned a 10A ABS Ignition fuse, both under the dash lower left.  Others talked about a 30A fuse under the hood with varying degrees of success, and someone mentioned unplugging a harness at the pump(?)  I'm gonna try the 20A fuse and see what happens.  "What could possibly go wrong?"

(I should also mention this is the first winter for me in this car, vs Subarust.)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pivlOgm4RRdXsF0gMmavCKwngWcdm9gkO2qve3V0UnULKVPF3K5fLnWGN9K9diz8