Apexcarver
Apexcarver New Reader
6/26/08 2:18 p.m.

OK, Ive advertised for a long time now... its time to give up and find the best way to get rid of this POS.

I speak of the Grandammit of course.

the vehicle in question is a 91 pontiac grand-am with <90k miles on it. It needs an exhaust and has non-structural rust issues (hole in the door type rust, subframes are fine)
the car has a almost perfect interior though

The tags expired over the winter and i havent bothered to renew them (due to inheritance framework, it could go on the road without inspection) frankly, the car is embarassing to drive.

I wanted $200 for it but got no takers (of course, i havent bothered with CL because i didnt want to mess with the hassle and i would have to ask more for the time i would have to take with bum buyers)

What is the GRM way of maximizing the monetary output of getting rid of the car with minimum time input. (parting isnt in the cards, who really wants grand am parts anyways?)

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/26/08 2:20 p.m.

find the scrap yard where all the guys with the ads in the paper for towing junk cars go.

right now up here steel is being paid out at 10 cents a lb for complete cars. so for a grand am you should get $320ish

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
6/26/08 2:20 p.m.

maximize seat time

24 hours of lemons

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
6/26/08 2:45 p.m.

^^^^ If you were anywhere near me, I'd already own your car for the next Lemons race.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
6/26/08 2:50 p.m.

I don't know what your aversion to CL is...but it sounds like you just don't want to advertise it anywhere because you don't want to take time to sell it.

Ways to minimize that include putting a detailed description of it with photos and exact location on Craigslist (or any other advertising medium of your choosing). Clearly state that they can look at it any time. Then have them call you when they're ready to bring cash.

It won't work perfectly...but there is always a market for a sub $1K car that runs. You'll have it sold pretty quick at $200.

Otherwise, donate it to your local community radio station (cartalk.com has links for you), salvation army, or other non-profit of choice that does that sort of thing. Junkyards will haul it off for free.

Clem

Hocrest
Hocrest New Reader
6/26/08 2:51 p.m.

Harry's in Hazelton, PA is giving $400 for any domestic that you can drive in. $450 for any import.

minimac
minimac Dork
6/26/08 2:52 p.m.

Do you have an aversion to DONATING it? There are lots of worthy causes that would be happy to take it-even tow it- and maybe you get a tax deduction to boot.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
6/26/08 3:08 p.m.
minimac wrote: Do you have an aversion to DONATING it? There are lots of worthy causes that would be happy to take it-even tow it- and maybe you get a tax deduction to boot.

+1 on donating. I should have done that with the POS I had in college that I couldn't sell.

Around here, NPR will take donated cars, as will a lot of children's charities.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
6/26/08 3:27 p.m.

put it on craigslist for $2000. You'll have more offers for $100-500 than you can imagine.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver New Reader
6/26/08 3:40 p.m.
skruffy wrote: put it on craigslist for $2000. You'll have more offers for $100-500 than you can imagine.

HAH! Kbb excellent (which this is not) is $1200

harrys in hazelton you say..

(reason i want to sell and not donate is that proceeds go to the mustang race tire fund, im a broke college student)

Apexcarver
Apexcarver New Reader
6/26/08 3:43 p.m.

as far as CL, I advertised my van for $500 and got more offers then i care to recall, all of them around $50...

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
6/26/08 3:57 p.m.

Go to the $2008 forum. Advertise to a GRM board member. Hand him or her the keys and take cash. Buy Mustang tires.

Hocrest
Hocrest New Reader
6/26/08 4:01 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote:
skruffy wrote: put it on craigslist for $2000. You'll have more offers for $100-500 than you can imagine.
HAH! Kbb excellent (which this is not) is $1200 harrys in hazelton you say.. (reason i want to sell and not donate is that proceeds go to the mustang race tire fund, im a broke college student)

If you've been thinking about making a run up there for parts, now's the time to do it... I'd say a little over 3 hours from Cumberland. www.wegotused.com

Or call around to some local yards, it's not like Harry is rich and just wants to give his money away... I'm sure other yards make as much on cars as he does.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver New Reader
6/26/08 4:56 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: Go to the $2008 forum. Advertise to a GRM board member. Hand him or her the keys and take cash. Buy Mustang tires.

attempted since last september http://archive.grassrootsmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=29306&p=1

lots of light interest back and forth with one potential buyer who had to back out.

i will take $200 from a GRM/BABE/LEMONS-er (BABE and LEMONS, i simply ask for pics to amuse me... )

If the magazine itself wanted it (and if it was going to appear in the mag) i would GIVE it to them (due to personal amusement derived from showing relatives who returned the car to me the article)

i think when i shot the video in the thread was the last time i started it, but i have no reason to think it wont now.

Jack
Jack SuperDork
6/26/08 5:59 p.m.

Live near a big city? Park it with the keys in it. Come back a week later to pick it up.

jib

integraguy
integraguy New Reader
6/27/08 6:55 a.m.

I agree with the 1 or 2 others that have said put it on CL but at a much HIGHER price. If the description above is truely honest...why only $200.00? If I saw an ad for a car with 90,000 miles and "some rust issues" for under a grand, I would assume the seller was hiding something BIG. Besides, at $200 you have no room to bargain, whether you really want to or not.

Otherwise, donate it.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
7/2/08 8:09 p.m.

I got $200 from the junkyard last december for a non-running 94 GA

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/2/08 9:00 p.m.

dude.. the CAT is worth $100-150 right now.

Cut it out.. Ebay it

then

put in a straight pipe..

Drive to junkyard, receive $400 or so. Scrap Clean Ferrous went for on average $730/ton last month on the commodity market. Projections are $1100/ton by the end of the year. Yes I work in commodities.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YYpJuGA6zOkGLcmndyKYiNEGsz4ZuDu3boQi6fJa9CFPyd6zwmOAUimUvQa7qT54