singledownloop
singledownloop
11/8/11 3:13 a.m.

Hi Guys and Ladies I have been a member of this site for almost as many years as it has existed.I haven't posted in quite some time so had to register again as I am old and forgot my original user name and password.

I am nearing 50,have a fabrication and manual machinist background and am currently collecting parts to build a streamliner to run in the automobile group (4 wheels and tires) powered by a blown KZ1000 engine.The 1 liter engine is just under the 1.015 liter maximum for I class engines.I at this point intend to use an mp45 eaton supercharger.

I have been in regular contact with Bonneville officials concerning the altitude as well as other topics.It has been suggested to either bring a lot of carburetor parts for tuning and with the KZ1000's 4 carburetors be prepared to spend a lot of time tuning them.

This isn't beyond my ability but due to nearly free fuel injection parts and even systems on the auction site.I see numerous Harley take off parts from 1.524 to 2.015 liter stock engines.I feel (correct me if I'm way off base) this would be a good match for initial parts selection to inject my blown engine that is being built by a close friend that built and runs a Kawasaki lay down chassis fuel drag bike.

My co-builders consist of a machinist and shop owner with 41 years experience much in various motorsports.A metal fabricator that owns his shop he opened in 1976.He has documented over 800 top chops on pre-1960 cars and trucks,built numerous phantom body styles,etc.The last key member is a professional wood worker who will use his skills to make a buck for us to form metal and aluminum flat stock to desired shape of body.

I realize this is a bit lengthy post but felt it needed so fellow members wouldn't mistakenly believe some dreamer lacking the needed talent and finances for this build.

So at this point I really need input from member experienced in D.I.Y. fuel injection systems.I am aware of megasquirt and minisquirt but have used neither.Thanks to all that have read this far. :>)

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
11/8/11 5:57 a.m.

First off, welcome aboard. We're all insane.

singledownloop wrote: So at this point I really need input from member experienced in D.I.Y. fuel injection systems.I am aware of megasquirt and minisquirt but have used neither.

I can't help you (....I haven't used m*squirt products, either) but you have definitely come to the right place. Send a PM to MadScientistMatt. He's definitely going to be able to answer any questions you have.

singledownloop
singledownloop New Reader
11/8/11 6:03 a.m.

I must be even more absent minded then I thought.I was looking through my word documents and discovered I have 22 pages covering a great deal of TBI injection.It includes a build using the Harley throttle body and all associated parts.It uses megasquirt to make it all work.I'm not computer wizard so the learning curve will be pretty steep for me to set up the megasquirt to control the list of settings he used for each function.Anyway still need someone to learn me megasquirt if the members think that's my best option or minisquirt if that will do the job I need it to.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
11/8/11 6:12 a.m.
singledownloop wrote: .Anyway still need someone to learn me megasquirt if the members think that's my best option or minisquirt if that will do the job I need it to.

Matt works for DIY-Autotune, one of the biggest vendors of M*Squirt products.

dlmater
dlmater GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/8/11 6:59 a.m.

You may already have it in your documentation, but in case you do not, a link below using Megasquirt and Harley throttle bodies to fuel inject an air-cooled Corvair engine for an experimental aircraft. Some good information on both.

Megasquirt Harley FI

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
11/8/11 8:17 a.m.

When it comes to selecting throttle body setups, for bikes, I would normally pick a set off a bike that makes a similar power level. Not sure how much horsepower a KZ1000 makes stock, but I suspect you may want a set of Hayabusa throttle bodies on this one.

The good news about EFI is that, unlike carbs, pretty much all your aftermarket EFI operates on the same mechanism until you get into mega-expensive stuff like Bosch Motorsports ECUs. The controller measures RPM, measures engine load (this could be throttle position, manifold pressure, or a mass air flow meter), then looks up how much fuel to inject on a table that looks kind of like a spreadsheet.

If the MegaSquirt manual is a bit intimidating for a beginner, Jerry (FoundSoul) and I put together a book on EFI for beginners:

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/performance-fuel-injection-systems-hp-books-p-436.html

singledownloop
11/8/11 4:32 p.m.

MadScientistMatt I now have the book you and Jerry put together on my buy sometime today list.I spent a couple hours reading different information sources to get numerous forum posts covering the minisquirt in differing grades of being purchased including a complete assembled minisquirt controller unless of course I'm mistaken.

Keeping in mind I know nothing about negasquirt or minisquirt from personal experience nor even had the chance to look at either unit other then online of course.For my needs would you feel the minisquirt was adequate or would you rather use the megasquirt?

The KZ1000 puts 105 horse power at the rear wheel which is significantly less then the Hayabusa.I am unsure ,as my notes are M.I.A., how much horse power the mp45 eaton I will set up to deliver the maximum boost my engine builder advises based on his extensive history with the KZ1000.

The eaton has its drive pulley on one end of the case and the opposite end is where a carburetor or throttle body injection mounts.The side of the case has a slot for the superchargers output to the engines intake ports.I planned to mount the supercharger very close to the engine with the cases output slot inline with the heads 4 intake ports.Then fabricate 4 individual plenums,each with a pop off valve,and run a plenum from the eaton to each intake port.

From notes I've taken this appears ,to me, to be the easiest to plumb,wire and trouble shoot if I have a single throttle body large enough for the job and as minimal amount of wiring possible for the functions required.

dlmater thank you for that link I must admit I've had it bookmarked for ever it seems due to the tech content.

PhilStubbs
PhilStubbs New Reader
11/8/11 4:40 p.m.

my first question is, why do you want to use a supercharger? a turbo would be much easier to package and run than a supercharger and spool time really isnt an issue since acceleration isnt so much your concern as top speed.

my 2nd question is, where are you located? i have tons of honda and gm tbi truck tuning experience under my belt and have always wanted to tinker with megasquirt.

my 3rd question is, what is your mph goal in this?

singledownloop
11/8/11 8:30 p.m.

The deciding factor for me to run a supercharger was largely based on past experience,though limited,working with them.I have also discovered,likely the last guy that didn't know, the wide spread availability and down right inexpensive eaton superchargers.I was reading about the m24 eaton a bit ago it is designed for a 1 liter fiesta.My engine is also 1 liter and unless mistaken a 1 liter engine with the eaton m24 turning twice the engine speed makes about 15 psi at sea level.The maximum rpm the m24 can survive is 18K so my shift points would have to be 1/2 max rpm so I would shift at 9000 rpm.

I do also have past experience with turbochargers.During the late 90's I ran a 1991 AWD Eagle Talon 5 speed that was turbocharged and intercooled from the factory.I can't recall the turbo I used to upgrade the stock much smaller turbo.I did some other basic mods everyone knows for these cars.I could consistently run a verified 132 mph but any faster the front end would start to lift and the car began to drift always to the left.

I am located in North East Missouri out in the middle of no where in the small city Kirksville.

I have no set mph goal I just want to start running at Bonneville every year possible.I do know that the streamliners I have collected detailed information on run or have all ran 150 mph+ and a few have joined the 200mph club.

I don't feel that 200 horse power and likely more is unobtainable with a pro built engine utilizing every bit of skill the friend building the engine has spent the last couple decades of hard earned trial and error with these Kawasaki big 4 cylinder engines.When you combine that level of engine detail with a supercharger Its my opinion it would be difficult to keep from breaking 200 horsepower.My engine puts out 105 RWHP from the factory.

The streamliner will weigh 900 pounds +/- total width of 44" and yet to be determined length.It will be just long enough to fit me,the engine and the minimum amount of required items to function and pass tech.

I have discussed the outline of this build with 2 different tech board chairman so far and neither had any issue with the build.

PhilStubbs
PhilStubbs New Reader
11/9/11 5:52 a.m.

It sounds fully doable, I'm not knocking it in any way. I would personally go turbo, just cause it seems easier to do on a motorcycle engine.

Too bad you aren't in Florida, I would really like to get my hands on mega squirt. I don't have anything to run it on, I have two Hondas and their stock ecu with slight modification works very well and I have a gm tbi truck that the stock slightly modified ecu works well enough.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GpazGJkmQrAlzSGQeOSKNpsxP1o10Xx35SQ3m7uzupsoITHFzpilsBmh9NGxFv7a