1 2 3
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/19 8:51 a.m.

I'm also interested in using sensors like this with a Race Capture Pro logger. A BLE receiver with a CANbus interface to bridge the two might work nicely.

MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
2/15/19 2:45 p.m.
collinskl1 said:
wvumtnbkr said:

Im dumb.  I want this but that was a lot of spark geek talk for an m.e.  just sell me a plug and play version for less than 1k.

QFT. I'm confident in my assembly skills, but the code has me sweating.

No coding neccesary! That's all done and dusted. You just connect the board with a usb cable and upload it as it is. There are a couple of steps to upload with a free program but I made a very clear step by step guide for it (on the github page)

Basic version is just soldering a few cables and you are done. Mounting it on the car takes some thinking of course, either make your own enclosure and mounting. Or 3D print the one I'm drawing in Fusion 360, I'll put all those files too up for download.

MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
2/15/19 2:46 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

I'm also interested in using sensors like this with a Race Capture Pro logger. A BLE receiver with a CANbus interface to bridge the two might work nicely.

IZZE racing has a CAN sensor similar to this.

MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
2/17/19 6:29 a.m.

First very rough testprint of main enclosure.

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
2/19/19 9:15 a.m.

Magnus,

I love the new board work, the case design, and the switchgear.

Thanks for letting me know I can run the board without installing the distance sensor.

My friend came over to my house yesterday to help me with an engine build.  We had not visited for a few months.  He is a professional IT manager.  One of the first things he asked me, was whether I had seen the HLT updates for the temp logger.

MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
2/20/19 5:41 a.m.

If anyone wants to mount the sensor separate from the box with the electronics I put this together. It can be mounted behind (a round 2,5" hole) or on top of a surface like the plastic inner liners in the fenders.

It can be adjusted in different angles (to fine tune where it hits the tire). Two small round holes are for helping aiming and there's also a rectangular hole where you can stick a screwdriver in just as a lever to help you change the angle of the sensor when adjusting it.

Files to download and print available at my site

MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
2/21/19 1:07 a.m.

Just having a bit of fun learning 3D CAD, have only been doing it for a few days now. How do I get a picture like a logo and text on to a part, well like this :D 

And no, it probably won't print very well, too small details, but fun to learn how to do stuff! 

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
2/21/19 4:56 p.m.

Nice.  I saw the new beta test display teasers on HLT's f**ebook page, and they were just little overlays down on the bottom of the video.  That's not very useful resolution-wise.  I was hoping for something big enough to differentiate edge heat from central tread heat.

MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
2/22/19 12:27 p.m.

Write a comment about it there! I was also a bit surprised. But viewing the video on a large screen will help of course. I mean video can be very high resolution nowadays.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/22/19 12:55 p.m.

This is really cool!  Curious to see how testing goes and if you make any improvements to the housings after testing. 

I would be willing to print and ship the enclosures to anyone in the US for material and shipping cost that wants one. If that's alright with you Magnus.

MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
2/23/19 8:46 a.m.

Have the round sensor housing and holder printed here now. It can be slimmed down a bit, it came out way stronger than necessary, so I'll tweak it a little :-)

MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
3/4/19 8:24 a.m.

Just showing the sensor housing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE59ScqV7YQ

MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
3/5/19 2:17 p.m.

Updated the github page with info on the PCB, component lists and.. stuff

https://github.com/MagnusThome/RejsaRubberTrac

MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
3/16/19 5:59 p.m.

Now that the separate sensor-only housing is done I'm finalizing the enclosure for the whole kit including snap off mounting to the car.

The sensor only housing:

Shrunk the sensor-only housing quite nicely from version 1:

The UGLY huge first try of the full mounting kit (I'm a beginner at this!) and the way smaller updated version

So this one contains rechargable battery, 12V input, temp and distance sensors and the cpu/bluetooth electronics.

It also  includes both adjustable (and lockable) aiming angle and snap in/out of the sensor housing: 

Files to 3D print yourself or using any online 3D printing service are up on the github pages. 

MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
3/16/19 6:04 p.m.

Harry's Laptimer is on the last beta stretch (I think, don't know the release time frame) and it now has video playback with overlaid 16 temp zones x 4 tires visible both in direct playback and in video exports.

MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
3/16/19 7:33 p.m.
MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
5/2/19 4:32 a.m.

Finally winter is over and I've been to this years first track meet and AutoX!!!!

Slow slalom (Toyo R888R):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06vPpV8Tmns

High speed slalom course (Toyo R888R):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOrpsQ6g-g4 (here you can see a bit higher temps at the end of the course)

First track meet (Normal street tires, a bit too low temps):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMsMUV9xTCw

- The OBD2 data, temps and video are not 100% in sync, it's a few tenths of a second off. Sorry for that.

- The tire temps are a bit low for the color scale in Harry's Laptimer, everything below 40 degrees celsius is just black. And the tire surface cools quickly on the straights. We'll probably see some adjustments on how the color scale is set up. But the colors need to take account for higher temp tires too of course.

- The sensors are mounted in front of the tires which results in a lot of side movement when turning. Mounting should be moved up more above the tire, hitting the top of the tire.

MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
5/5/19 5:37 p.m.

All data in sync in this one (there was a problem in the previous videos due to manual start of recording)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrYU6CJ73co

Chasing some Legend race cars on a tight test track.

MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
5/7/19 4:30 p.m.

Woohoo! Early Racechrono beta with support for my DIY open source tire thermo cameras:

Live timing:

Analysis tire temps:

Analysis suspension movements:

Yeah... only desktop racing this very moment :-D

10dsbrennan
10dsbrennan
5/15/19 1:53 p.m.

Sub'd this is awesome.

MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
5/16/19 3:49 p.m.

Harry's laptimer v23 is released!

Includes support for this kit of course :-)

https://www.facebook.com/HarrysLapTimer/posts/2146936698734765

MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
5/31/19 2:03 p.m.

I solved the mounting on my BMW M2. Perfect location right above the tire. This means minimal tire movement in the sensor's field of view during turning and perfect for measuring distance to tire. The 120 degree FOV thermal camera sensor is used, the distance is about 9-10cm when stationary so the full tire width is well inside the FOV. 

I made a small 3D printed snap-in holder and just a small hole in the plastic inner fender. 

I just open the hood and reach in to remove the sensor from the snap-in holder or turn it on or off. 

MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
6/17/19 5:25 p.m.

So are anyone putting together their own sensors?

I saw some people had ordered circuit boards from Pcbway and I have had some very few emails from different corners of the world but it would be so cool to know if more people are tinkering with this kit :-)

/Magnus

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/17/19 5:47 p.m.

I really want this on my new build...

I just need it in a kit form with clear instructions.  

How much for all 4 wheels and everything to use this with Harry's laptimes?

Want!  But not good at the integration.

MagnusThome
MagnusThome New Reader
6/21/19 12:45 a.m.

Maybe do a callout for someone with a soldering iron in your area?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3HSmvRj5pMdA811igmuRNFNMSIU5n9ZpOGSuvQqQnuMxCGSSNzpiWEv0tdKNBp4Y