1 2
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
9/28/16 8:11 a.m.

I started wrenching well before I was 10 years old. Like most of us, my time in the garage has given me my share of bumps and bruises, skinned knuckles and the like. It’s also left me with more than a couple of scars. I remember my first major incident: I was about 11 years old, and my dad and …

Read the rest of the story

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
9/28/16 8:38 a.m.

Great article as always. I know the feeling but it's a bit different.

I've been into weight/strength training for 30 years. I've found that if you have respectable lifts (strength), working on cars and trucks is much easier on the body ie: you use 50% of your ability breaking a rusted leaf-spring shackle bolt rather than 95% vein-popping-in-your-forehead force.

Being strong makes garage grunt work much easier on the body.

My problem is having pushed too hard through pain and beating myself up trying to lift odd objects on dares as a younger guy etc.

(I'm acting like I don't still do it, but I still do!)

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/28/16 9:08 a.m.

You know how hard and close to home this hits for me. Both ignoring and putting off pain and surgeries and even the football tie in. With my nerve issues and confirmed number of concussions in double digits, and being past 25 surgeries in 36 years, (though at the time of my participation I was still under 20 surgeries). I was invited to be part of a study looking at potential links between concussions, head trauma and protein being found in spinal fluid. The study confirmed a coorolation and is due to be published this fall.

Lastly a reminder to all, go to the freaking doctor to get checked out at least once a year. It's not going to kill you, but not going might. Think of it as routine scheduled maintenance on yourself.

car39
car39 HalfDork
9/28/16 10:12 a.m.

Wait until you get to 60. Need a new knee from jumping out of cars on lifts as a kid. Rotator cuff blown catching a tire / wheel that bounced out of an overhead rack. Numerous scars from burns, knife wounds from cutting door panels for speakers, arthritic ankles from life on a concrete floor, arthritic arms and hands from repetitive motion. Don't know how I'm still breathing, since you can rustproof a couple of hundred cars with the tar based stuff before you realize you need a mask. Real men don't wear breathing masks. Real dumb men. Asbestos? You got it! What did I learn? Not a damn thing. I still work on live circuits, don't wear eye protection, and take anti-inflammatory drugs like M&M's Be safe out there folks, or adapt to a life where if it's a joint, it makes noise and hurts.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/28/16 10:20 a.m.

One of the reasons I started building the Grosh at 37 was a discussion with my father in law about his new pole barn. He built his old barn by himself in his early 30's, no problem. When it was time to build another, nicer one in his early 60's, he really couldn't. Two destroyed knees, a handful of shoulder surgeries, he knew he was out of his league.
I'm working hard to keep myself limber and healthy (at 40 now) but I can't imagine I'll have the energy to build another building by myself when I'm over 50 and get another chance.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/28/16 10:39 a.m.

Hey, better late than never to learn the lesson. Thats exactly the reason I started to work out before work about 18 months ago (well, that and the doc told me I had some reason to be concerned about my cholesterol). I work out nearly every morning m-f, unless its a vacation day off, which is sleeping-in time. I knew if I didnt get in shape at 35, I would never get in shape at 40+.

I have really tried to work on my diet too, but the best I could muster is just eating less, not really that much better...Little Debbie oatmeal cream pies still sing their siren song for me, but I fall under their spell less often than I used to. But, since shrinking my belt size has about stopped (plateaued), I guess Imma hafta address that bit soon as well (boo )

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
9/28/16 10:42 a.m.

will you still need me, will you still feed me,When I'm 64. Now that I am 64 another Beatles song comes to mind, It starts; I'm So tired I haven't slept a wink, I'm so tired my Mind is on the Blink, I used to have friends that would always help but they are as old as I am. The Vette I am building May be my last, And the thing is a little over challange budget, so there is this Corvair down the Street.........

kb58
kb58 Dork
9/28/16 3:46 p.m.

Having taken 10 years to build Kimini, about 5 to build Midlana, and still messing with it years later, people ask what's next. While I haven't decided - or even if there will be a next car - the thought of aging and its limitations is now in the mix, when before it never even entered my mind.

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
9/28/16 3:55 p.m.

I just turned 71 and raced at the Runoffs, finishing 13th, in my EP RX7 that I had to rebuild in 6 weeks after a 100 mph crash at NJMP. I am not fanatical about it, but I watch my diet, exercise and get adequate sleep. A lifetime of working on cars has taken some toll, but not as much as if I didn't take reasonable care of myself. Be good to yourself! It will pay off.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
9/28/16 5:17 p.m.

Maybe I was more careful or just lucky. Other than a few sore fingers an bloody toes from dropping heavy things on them. Even breathing all of that dangerous dust, I breath just fine.

The dumbest thing I ever did ,as a teen ager, was flipping a hatchet. Made a nice slice on the side of my index finger, leaving a flap. It bled a little. Hel it close with my thumb until I got home an put a band aid on it. Healed nicely. I still have a small scar.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/28/16 7:05 p.m.

I steer clear of the energy drinks (and any caffeine 99% most of the time) but definitely feel the arthritis creeping in at 45. Gone are the days I get out of bed and move with ease, until I've had a hot shower.

D2W
D2W Reader
9/28/16 7:30 p.m.

Go hard or go home is what I've always lived by. It's what I'm known for. At 47 its starting to catch up with me, but I can't say I didn't know it was going to happen. And frankly don't know that I would change anything if I had the chance.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
9/28/16 8:15 p.m.

At 58 years old I developed a case of "indigestion". It happened every Sunday night while I was playing hockey after eating a plate of spaghetti. Of course I didn't go see the doctor for the 8-10 weeks I suffered with this malady. The odd thing was the triple bypass fixed the "indigestion" right quick.

outasite
outasite Reader
9/28/16 8:24 p.m.

I will be 70 before years end. I quit smoking and started serious exercise and eating better about 35 years ago. However, a recent experience is the reason for this response. Beware of long term usage of over the counter drugs. Do your research on effects of any long term over the counter drug usage.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/16 8:27 p.m.

I read that as I have 8 more years before I have to start taking care of myself...

captdownshift
9/28/16 8:47 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

I'm 36. Recalculate as needed.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/28/16 8:50 p.m.

I may not play as hard anymore, but damnit I'm still eating bacon.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/28/16 9:18 p.m.

I'm 33 and have been doing construction now for 19 years.

I work with a guy that has about the same mileage on him and he's pretty beat up, but I learned long ago that just cause I CAN so it doesn't mean I SHOULD do it.....no lifting the absolute limit of my strength etc....I get help if I need to

D2W
D2W Reader
9/30/16 11:57 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: I may not play as hard anymore, but damnit I'm still eating bacon.

There is nothing wrong with taking care of yourself, but there is also a point at which you can live too long. Very few people that I know that made it to 90+ are still enjoying life. Damned if I want to end up in a nursing home for 10 years just to be alive.

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
10/3/16 10:40 a.m.

I was shown a way to judge Life/work ability a while back and didn't pay much Heed to it until a few years ago. Take out your tape mesure and extend it to 72 inches ( current avg.lifespan )now stand at what equals your current Age,and count how many inches are left, Kinda Eye Opening.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
10/3/16 2:26 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: I may not play as hard anymore, but damnit I'm still eating bacon.

I used to have 5 strips a day with eggs and biscuits and gravy. Did that every morning in the company cafeteria, 5 days a week for 9 years. I referred to it has my edible heart attack. I wasn't far off the mark.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
10/3/16 4:09 p.m.

I found the secret to immortality, but I just can't go out in the sunlight now....

captdownshift
10/3/16 5:37 p.m.

I can't recommend swimming, Tai Chi, stretching, low weight high rep basic lifts that utilize full range of motion, with no iso work at all. And removing as much sugar from your diet as you can.

I'm 6'2 255, my blood pressure is 111/74 and my total colesteral is under 135, including triglycerides. Not bad considering from June-October 2015 I couldn't walk across a room without assistance.

The longer you have the I'm tough enough to gut it out, the harder it will hit you when it does. I used to deadline 780lb and squat 650. I miss having that power and explosiveness in my lower body, and the high that I got post lift. But I'd never be tempted to event rack up 135lb for old times sake anymore, even if there was a guarantee that my hip and shoulder would stay together.

outasite
outasite Reader
10/11/16 9:41 p.m.
GTXVette wrote: I was shown a way to judge Life/work ability a while back and didn't pay much Heed to it until a few years ago. Take out your tape mesure and extend it to 72 inches ( current avg.lifespan )now stand at what equals your current Age,and count how many inches are left, Kinda Eye Opening.

I didn't need to read this.

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
10/12/16 6:39 a.m.

In reply to outasite:Sorry about that! Life, It's about beating the odds.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KLhgZ5ak1Xet37w06jDXUsgPZ3Qd1WodzY238aJR3VVSh4jmxo1q1qmdStE6FYuW