rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Reader
10/20/17 9:28 p.m.

I haven't participated in any HPDE events in the past 10 years so I like to know what the organizers allow for driving a convertible on track. I know a roll bar is required but are you allowed to run an event with the convertible top up? If I remember correctly, It used to be that the top had to be down and window nets used or maybe it was some type of arm restaints.. I'd rather pick up a hardtop than run with the top down because of rain and cool unpredictable weather in the northeast. Should I start shopping?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/20/17 9:53 p.m.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.

A hardtop (or raised convertible top) provides ABSOLUTELY no safety in a roll over situation. Your local track/organizer will let you know what is allowed.

FOr instance, my local track will let you take a stock Miata on Hoosiers on track, if thats a risk you are comfortable with.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
10/20/17 10:07 p.m.

I do not like convertibles so I'd say an hardtop is mandatory.

I have no idea about HPDEs as they are way above my pay grade.

steronz
steronz Reader
10/20/17 10:49 p.m.

I don't have a hard top, I've never been turned away. NASA Mid-Atlantic made me run top down during a hurricane. OVR PCA made me run top up on a 90 degree day. Most clubs don't care either way. There's no consistency. Never been asked about arm restraints either. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/17 11:08 p.m.

Arm restraints aren't a bad idea if you're running without a top, but I'll admit I don't do it.

I've never been asked to run top up or top down specifically. I have hardtops on all my personal Miatas but that's because I like hardtops.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/20/17 11:20 p.m.

I thought I would hate arm restraints in racing but after the initial adjustment period of getting used to putting them on they're not noticeable at all for me. 

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/21/17 7:21 a.m.

I would invest in a hardtop, if you find an OEM one they keep their value very well. Also the car will flat out be faster due to the less drag

Kramer
Kramer Dork
10/21/17 8:54 a.m.

My signature pic is me at a NASA HPDE with only a roll bar.  Probably not within broomstick specs, either.  

Oops, I guess I have a different signature pic.  Try this one.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
10/21/17 9:00 a.m.

Adding Pics make my head hurt

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
10/21/17 9:20 a.m.

Locally NCM requires a hardtop on Miatai that do not have a roll bar.  Which is really, really stupid since a Miata hardtop might as well be made of paper mache' in the event of a rollover.

GroupSects
GroupSects GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/21/17 9:39 a.m.

I've got a NC Miata and no hardtop and I've been told to run top down always and top up always with different groups. No arm restraints either. I'm not opposed, but couldn't figure out what would/wouldn't work with stock 3 point belts. 

Rodan
Rodan Reader
10/21/17 9:43 a.m.

As noted, requirements vary widely depending upon the organization.  Your best bet is a good roll bar, it will cover most organizations (more than just a hardtop), and actually provide some protection.  Then you get into the rabbit hole of harnesses, seats, etc...

When I first started tracking our Miata, I enjoyed it with the top down (in good weather).  As the car has become more focused, and faster, I really prefer having a hardtop on the track.  For Sunday drives, I still prefer topless... wink

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/21/17 11:47 a.m.

The hard top is attached with 4 latches and a couple frankenstein bolts, and it's fiberglass.  In a significant rollover accident it'll be ripped right off the car, so most of the safety regs don't really change whether it's there or not.

The biggest reason you see so many Miatas at the track with hard tops is performance, it significantly reduces the aero drag and can be worth 5mph or so at the end of the straight.

Keith Tanner
10/21/17 11:48 a.m.

The hardtop will also help keep limbs inside the vehicle, and it's 'glass that's at least as thick as that on a helmet so it does have ablative properties. 

But yeah, they're faster too...

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/21/17 12:03 p.m.

A hardtop also allows for a slightly taller rollbar/cage than one that has to also support a soft top right?

Keith Tanner
10/21/17 5:48 p.m.

No, not really.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Reader
10/22/17 8:31 p.m.

Does the soft top get removed before the hardtop is installed?

I found a used top for $700 which doesn't sound too bad if I can only find time to go look at it.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/17 10:33 p.m.

Hardtop fits the car with the soft top installed, no need to remove the soft top unless you really want to...

$700 for one in decent shape with all the bits (including the rear mounting ears that occasionally break off) is a good price. Get thee to the seller before all the Spec Piñata guys show up.

Blaise
Blaise Reader
10/23/17 10:05 a.m.
rustybugkiller said:

Does the soft top get removed before the hardtop is installed?

I found a used top for $700 which doesn't sound too bad if I can only find time to go look at it.

That's a good price.

I removed the soft top on my track car. Big weight penalty to keep both but you can certainly leave it in the car.

I track with the hard top on. Better aero, keeps the sun/rain/etc out. You can't lose money on one so it's a no-brainer purchase.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kGbfwNZ4SJ14zdWHZXHMO1GZss4Vm2AeI3ZHdG2ECernMPpvojrHVrDucAa0WuF0