1 2
rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
6/1/19 9:47 a.m.

This one is pretty well known in the 5.9 Jeep community.  Strapped to a wall and probably in 4lo. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/19 10:29 a.m.
STM317 said:

Details please

LQ9, D1SC supercharger, methanol injection, water-air intercooler, and a lot of time and head scratching trying to make everything fit and work.  The front driveshaft center U joint wanted to be in the same place as the oil filter, for example, and trying to fix that would put the A/C compressor in the frame rail.  This also existed before the common availability of high flow pump surge tanks, which would have made the fuel system 100x simpler.

Private album:  https://s1073.photobucket.com/user/SPRTUSA/library/Green%20Monster?page=1

Note, I am no longer in the biz of doing this sort of thing, and I'm a bit happier for it.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
6/1/19 10:34 a.m.

I am embarrassed to admit that in 11 years I have never done a real proper burnout in the RX7. Some smokey launches, yes, but never a real burner.

Maybe it's time...

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/1/19 11:01 a.m.
TheRX7Project said:

I am embarrassed to admit that in 11 years I have never done a real proper burnout in the RX7. Some smokey launches, yes, but never a real burner.

Maybe it's time...

YES!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
6/1/19 1:05 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

I hear Hummers bouncing off the rev limiter allllll the time...cheeky

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/1/19 7:52 p.m.

This was my burn out on new tire day. Friend used his camcorder and ended up taking 2 stills that interrupt the video and the audio was sooooo loud I had to remove it from YT. 

daeman
daeman Dork
6/1/19 9:52 p.m.

This thread needs more Lynchy

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
6/1/19 11:38 p.m.

This is glorious on so many levels.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
6/2/19 5:34 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Agreed! I cringe every time I watch that and can practically smell that clutch.

And here I am again touting Roadkill. First one is their blown Impala that they built for the MCM crossover episode and the one below is three new Dodge muscle cars tied together:

Knurled.
6/2/19 6:08 a.m.
ShawnG said:

This is glorious on so many levels.

Corvette guy's lucky he didn't get the pressure plate so hot that it grenaded.

Pay close attention to what's going on in this video - same thing happened but with a different outcome.

Rear tires stop spinning and smoke comes out from under the center of the car as the engine bogs down trying to slip the clutch.

Also, if the escaping clutch parts took out the header, then they also had to go through quite a few layers of steel on the way out through the fender.  Also the steering box.

Knurled.
6/2/19 6:17 a.m.

Since I posted that one.

Apparently all the series 1s are in New Zealand.  Seems like any time I see a first generation RX-7 from NZ it's a series 1.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
6/2/19 6:48 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

That's because (aside from mechanically and electronically) S1s are the best... I may be a bit biased.

Are you sure that wasn't a flywheel grenading in the first (green) video? I've seen (videos/pictures) of a few rotary flywheel explosions... just because it will rev to 12 grand doesn't mean it should. Racing Beat even tells you never to go past 10,500 with their lightweight flywheels.

Knurled.
6/2/19 7:16 a.m.

In reply to TheRX7Project :

I am also biased, and yes S1 is best one.  ( I have/had two S3s, which are bloated pigs, and hopefully Soon my S2 will be mobile... it's kind of like an ugly S1)

I am going to assume that it was clutch because he overheated the clutch. He also wasn't revving it all that high anyway, even after the engine disconnected from the trans it doesn't sound like he topped 8k.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/3/19 4:51 p.m.

Well if we're going to post videos,  I'll add this one:

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/3/19 5:35 p.m.
kazoospec said:

Sadly for me, this is one of the rare cases where Miata IS NOT the answer.  

Yeah. Tried finishing off my BFG Rivals with a burnout in my 245hp Miata. They would get warm and then push the car through the front brakes. Also tried banging 2nd gear for more wheel speed but with the Rotrex powerband, it would be too low on torque to keep them spinning

Opti
Opti Dork
6/3/19 5:37 p.m.

First day on the new job at the tire shop. This was right after I bought this car, about 12 years ago. 

I actually just tracked down that old car. I sorted it completely and sold it, and now I want it back. Its had at least 8 owners in the last 4 years, not including those that floated the title. The new owner told me a few months ago it spun some bearings. If I wasnt in the middle of planning a wedding and preparing two houses for sale/rent, It' woudl already be back in my driveway.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ysz1Vbt0LPQTC9e4l6jx3aReuLjQEO7fVYjd3OunMFThjiq7yRSyoUk3D1XXJnuw