calteg
calteg Dork
10/16/21 10:27 a.m.

Last time I had to do this, I remember I went through 2 or 3 different adhesives before I found one that actually made the little metal part stick to the windshield. I remember using a 3M two part epoxy that lasted all of a day, but I can't remember which one actually worked...

Junghole
Junghole SuperDork
10/16/21 11:35 a.m.

wink it. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/16/21 11:41 a.m.

Sell the car! It will never stick lol, at least here in Florida its easier to get a new windshield. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
10/16/21 12:05 p.m.

Permatex 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/16/21 12:42 p.m.

I finally wound up going to a glass shop & having them do mine last time. I couldn't find anything I could buy that would last longer than 10 days.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
10/16/21 2:40 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

This. 

Permatex makes it in a single serving size. Make sure the windshield is cleaned within and inch of its life. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/16/21 2:53 p.m.

I went to a glass shop 3X, kept falling off.  The last time the wife came out and punched the guy in the ribs for trying to charge me again.  Last time he wiped it all down with alcohol and used a Lok-Tite product ( carefully concealing the label).

still there!  

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
10/16/21 3:13 p.m.

I did this recently, but I don't remember if I used some sort of Gorilla Glue epoxy, or just JB Weld.  It's still there, regardless.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/16/21 3:30 p.m.

The key is to clean, clean, clean both the mirror mount as well as the windshield glass.  In my experience the kits you get from the parts store will all fail eventually, but the cleaner you can get the parts the longer the stickum will last.  Avoid parking in hot direct sun if you can help it.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/16/21 5:09 p.m.

I think I used Loctite brand last time I did one. That was several years ago, and it's still holding here in Florida.

The key is all about preparation. I scratched up the surface of the mirror mount so that it wasn't smooth, and I may have even scratched the glass a little bit. Then I wiped it down thoroughly with 91% rubbing alcohol.

I glued it on early in the evening so it had time to set up before the heat of the next day, then left it taped in place and didn't drive it for a few days. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/16/21 7:52 p.m.

Loctite Rearview Mirror Adhesive. I've used it for decades and had it last that long.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/16/21 8:53 p.m.

I use a razor blade, alcohol, and fine grit sand paper, not necessarily in that order to clean up the window and the little puck. 

RacingGeek
RacingGeek New Reader
10/16/21 10:09 p.m.

I'll be moving the review mirror in the Corolla up a little bit since I'm tall and the roof is so low I can't see anything to my right. Have to give that loctite stuff a shot.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1KBKpwYP1kdiKHuyu8YzPxDtfTLSawXSH73cYSKm2YVd4x46jv1wkjR2qecqwhQu