1 2
NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
6/14/17 12:50 p.m.

Faster than an FRS in a straight line.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/14/17 3:37 p.m.

I kinda like the idea of that V6 stuck into my track only miata,nice sounding V6 with good power from the later gens and come complete with a rwd 6 sp bolted up.

All the swaps that use adapters and the oem miata trans still have the time bomb bolted to the new engine.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
6/14/17 3:58 p.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: All the swaps that use adapters and the oem miata trans still have the time bomb bolted to the new engine.

There's a fix for the K-series swap now.

I know that the Genesis garnered a bit of a reputation as a career-killer in Formula Drift. (I know, some people view that series as a dirty word)

Rhys Millen: Ran a Hyundai-sponsored twin-turbo V6 Genesis. Middling finishes for a season or two, one or two podiums but never the success he had in his Pontiac GTO and Solstice. Hyundai pulled sponsorship, he retired from Formula D.

Dennis Mertzanis: Ran an LS-powered Genesis built by ARK Performance. Had an absolutely horrendous season with it, lost his Pro license due to poor performance throughout the season.

Pat Mordaunt: Ran a supercharged V6-powered Genesis built by ARK Performance as a sister car to Mertzanis' car. Blew up the engine and 2 backup engines at practice for Round 1 of Formula D. Never saw it again for the rest of the season and Pat ended up renting the old Retaks LS S13.5 for an entire season out of pocket to keep his Pro license.

Odi Bakchis: Bought one of the old ARK cars (the LS-powered one), ran it under the Feal's Suspension banner. He did a bunch of work on it and alternated between it and his LS S14 for an entire season, then parked the Genesis and committed to the S14 for this season.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/14/17 4:10 p.m.

In reply to NickD:

Sure but that "fix' involves lots of parts from multiple makes to gather and assemble none of which are free.

Buying a complete V6 coupe writeoff to have everything needed from one package has some appeal to me at least.Part out what isn't needed,grab a mountless V8 roadsters front crossmember and break out the welder.

I ice race with a guy that was part of the 2 car team that road races them up here in the north,I should ask him if they pop them....not sure if they run the V6 or turbo 4's though.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/15/17 3:51 p.m.

Weird,around here mention of a miata engine swap usually involves lots of good view points not crickets...

maj75
maj75 Reader
6/15/17 9:31 p.m.

There was a red R Spec that used to show up pretty regularly at the Chin events at Sebring. Car looked good, but I could blow his doors off in my '95 M3. Guy wouldn't give a point-by for anything.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
6/16/17 10:43 a.m.

I like the Genesis Coupe, the facelifted car has a nice interior, improved from the early cars. It was a 3.8, and it handles well, but I would put square wheels on it for auto-x or track days, the example I happened to test drive had the rear wheels up front, making it handle better than "stock". It could also be the answer to people that think the GT86/BRZ are too slow or need a bigger back seat than that platform. The Genesis has really good seats, and I would buy it over most cars, including a 350Z.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/22/17 3:37 p.m.

Threw the question to the guy on the genesis road race team,he said they had trouble with the V6's when trying to ramp up the power and revs so they switched to the turbo 4's and have been very good ever since.

Stock'ish the V6's are just fine he said.

Tac1
Tac1 New Reader
11/19/17 3:33 p.m.

How are the first gen coupes in terms of chassis and steering feel? I'm thinking about trading in my mk7 gti for a 3.8. While I'm sure my GTI is more capable it isn't exactly a thrilling drive, too numb for my liking even on the track.

djsilver
djsilver Reader
11/19/17 4:20 p.m.

Have a friend that's very talented at autocross campaign the V6 version for a year.  He did OK, but not as well as he had/has in other cars and his main complaint is that there was no aftermarket shocks or suspension parts available at the time. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
11/19/17 11:23 p.m.

Seems to me a 6th Gen Camaro (V6 or 2.0t) is the better way to go.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7QB6NcueEf0g9fIIaI4I6CsNjQidi4r97ExHSccUXwE5IZz1AqpUT3SQPMibKcCZ