David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/22/16 11:25 a.m.

This year's Pinehurst Concours is going to feature a class for early Japanese cars, and it sounds like they're still taking applications. What kind of cars? Think stock versions of Japanese milestones: 240Z, Datsun roadster, RX-3, Cosmo, GT-R, Z600, early Civic, etc.

If you have a car that fits the bill, go here: http://pinehurstconcours.com/signup

Thanks and see you at the event.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/22/16 11:30 a.m.

Who here has the CVCC that was in a movie or two?

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
2/22/16 12:17 p.m.

Maybe it's a theme. The person I know in our SCCA group that helps run the Cincinnati Concurs told me late last year they were planning a Japanese theme this year, he was slightly interested in my MR2.

untchabl
untchabl New Reader
2/22/16 12:25 p.m.

Don't have a car but I'm definitely interested in trying to attend and check them out.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/22/16 12:27 p.m.
untchabl wrote: Don't have a car but I'm definitely interested in trying to attend and check them out.

It's a fun event--great setting, not so jammed full of people that you can't see anything.

Last year I judged Porsches. I'm hoping to get the Japanese class this year.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/22/16 12:49 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

I recall there is still a clean Nissan 240 in the Wallens family. That has to be, what, 25 years old? Good enough for AACA!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
2/22/16 4:04 p.m.

Japanese cars in Concours events is expanding... last year Sonoma... http://classicmotorsports.com/forum/classic-cars/sonoma-concourse-now-with-japanese-class/62625/page1/

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 HalfDork
2/23/16 1:09 a.m.

Think they'd take my $300 85 Celica? :P

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
2/23/16 7:21 a.m.
Jerry wrote: Maybe it's a theme.

I hope so. Car enthusiasts are getting younger and have a big interest in Japanese cars. Recent auction prices confirm that Gen X and Millennials are not as interested in LBCs or old American cars as Boomers are. Demographics like that are hard to ignore when you're trying to get people to attend your automotive event and that trend will continue.

On a side note, I wish CMS would move away from LBCs and feature more nostalgic Japanese cars.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/23/16 11:19 a.m.

If anyone wants to get in on the ground floor of obscure, there is a 1969 Price Gloria sedan for sale in Milwaukee. $11,400.00 and it's mint.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/23/16 11:57 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

That's been on there for months now I think. Was that their original price?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kBLNzamdICm5ZVhKTmKp7lnrZuVKJPP5tBknfKFd59m5ej0MbRojl7C2Om6UvBjI