1 2 3
java230
java230 Dork
11/4/16 10:14 a.m.

In reply to xflowgolf:

I think your right on the money here. Big trucks seem to be the new muscle car.

However I did thoroughly enjoy Diesel Power's Top truck challenge. Watching these massive torque/hp truck do 1/8 miles with a 10k lb trailer was quite entertaining

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NenSIjZCu0M

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/16 10:26 a.m.
Mister Fister wrote: Having just driven a Challenger "Scat Pack" there is no berkeleying way in hecking heck I would call that thing a Sports Car. That thing is a muscle car, through and through. It's built on a gosh darned SUV PLATFORM that they used for 4-door passenger cars, that they used for the two door Challenger. And then they took the regular Challenger, and without upgrading the suspension or brakes, shoved the biggest motor they had available into the thing at a reasonable price. That's the definition of a muscle car. More importantly - it handles like a muscle car. In other words, it moves like a drunken 350 lb man trying to complete a Ninja Warrior course.

LOL well you win this thread

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
11/4/16 10:58 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I guess the Challenger Hellcat is the closest thing to a modern muscle car. Has a fairly ridiculous engine that the brakes and suspension don't live up to, all built on a rather HEAVY platform.

FTFY

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
11/4/16 11:13 a.m.

I think it would be interesting to compare the performance of new "muscle cars" to the old ones, but with all of them on the skinny bias ply tires that the old ones came with. Obviously this is impossible because you couldn't get 14" wheels on the new cars.

A lot of the design philosophies from the 60's (ie. brakes aren't a big deal because traffic wasn't a thing, and give it a ton of under-steer because it's "safe") have been abandoned for a long time.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
11/7/16 1:40 p.m.
Robbie wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Let's consider the definition of a muscle car. In its day it was a big sporty 2-door car with a big V8.
Let me stop you right there. That sounds exactly like the mustang, cramit, and challenger.

Ya, seriously. The Mustang is huge. I own one and a R32 Skyline. The Skyline was a "mid-size" luxury car and is tiny next to my mustang. In fact on modern roads I feel dwarfed by everything around me, even E36 M3 like a Kia Soul.

A 3700lb car with a big v8 in it sounds exactly like a "muscle car" in fact it sounds like a 71 Mustang.

If you want to see a sports car now see Miata or FRS.

I think the problem is the term sports car evolved into any car people wants it to mean and the word means literally nothing anymore. However a 370Z vs a Mustang GT you can definitely see sports car vs muscle car right there. Just because a near 2 ton car handles well doesn't make it a sports car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jly9rJ1XopPAgWMosnlfqmDd1tWJPT0PHprAXI94hG3iEMaBmPUMFf1N7gXZS3II