1 2
EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
3/16/17 1:35 p.m.

Apparently, there was a class-action lawsuit regarding misleading ads from HF, regarding the phrase "compare at". If you have HF receipts from 2011-2016, or credit card statements, you are in the class. If you don't, you can try picking a number and not committing perjury.

It appears you will get 20% cash back or a gift card for 30% of what you spent.

Details here.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
3/16/17 1:52 p.m.

Did someone just ruin harbor freight? Great... now they'll start selling real Tools at real prices!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
3/16/17 2:41 p.m.

hmmmm.. is it worth my time to review online statements of debit/credit cards...

t25torx
t25torx Dork
3/16/17 3:15 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: hmmmm.. is it worth my time to review online statements of debit/credit cards...

depends on how hard it is to get access to that info. I can get about 4 years back with my Mint account. Shoot my wife bought me an 80 gallon compressor there, I'd love to get 20% back from that purchase alone. Time for me to start digging

Edit: just did a quick scan from Mint $1,491.39 in the last 4 years. At 20% that's $298.27 back. I'll need to do some more digging to get back another 5 years.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
3/16/17 3:25 p.m.

Just submitted. I couldn't find as much as I thought, but still a pretty good chunk for no work at all. They'll only give you 10% if you don't have itemized receipts, BTW.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
3/16/17 3:50 p.m.

I made 16 distinct purchases during that period starting in just August, 2015. Going back to 2011 and there's lost more Most of it is ammo boxes and so on, but I did buy a cement mixer and a miter saw, so that's like $300. Throw in all the small stuff and lets call it $600 or so during the period, which without receipts is $60 in cash or $72 in store credit. $60 is $60, but not worth going through all my old CC and debit card statements. Interesting case. There's a lot of thee floating out there. Anyone familiar with the Milk settlement?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/16/17 4:24 p.m.

I've bought lots off of them over the years stated, but I don't feel they have "wronged" me in any way. They can keep the money I spent, as I thought it was a good deal now, as I did then.

If they had caused me injury or harm---- yes, I'd want compensation. They haven't, so I don't feel entitled to any $$.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/16/17 4:40 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: I've bought lots off of them over the years stated, but I don't feel they have "wronged" me in any way. They can keep the money I spent, as I thought it was a good deal now, as I did then. If they had caused me injury or harm---- yes, I'd want compensation. They haven't, so I don't feel entitled to any $$.

Very well said, and my thoughts exactly.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
3/16/17 4:50 p.m.

My sister works at the Leesburg Fl store, I am with the others that will not be submitting for any money, I know how to read and feel they never miss represented any of their stuff.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
3/16/17 4:54 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearing:

Times a thousand.

Cactus
Cactus Reader
3/16/17 5:26 p.m.

I'd take the store credit option. I think Harbor Freight has taken more money from me so far this year than everybody except the government.

Willingly, I mean. Their best 1/2 impact is pretty ballsy. Too quiet, but it made short work of the rusted on lug nuts on my truck.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/16/17 7:54 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: I've bought lots off of them over the years stated, but I don't feel they have "wronged" me in any way. They can keep the money I spent, as I thought it was a good deal now, as I did then. If they had caused me injury or harm---- yes, I'd want compensation. They haven't, so I don't feel entitled to any $$.

X100. I have spent a couple grand at least in that period, have all my receipts, and don't need a dime from it as this is just another example of lawyers ruining things. My wallet would like $400, my conscience would not

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/17 8:03 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Exactly. Good or bad I always get what I pay for.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/17 8:05 p.m.

This, 100%.

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
3/16/17 8:23 p.m.

Harbor Freight & Northern Tool are super dangerous. Every time I go in I end up buying too much interesting inexpensive stuff that I know I don't really need but 1000% know I will someday find a use for. Poor impulse control I guess.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UltraDork
3/16/17 8:23 p.m.
Lawyer guy said: This lawsuit alleges that Harbor Freight violated the law by advertising merchandise as "on sale" or "comp at" that had not been sold at the stated regular or "comp at" price for 28 of the preceding 90 days.

So they are being sued because they never sold things at the "regular price" they list in the small print?

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
3/16/17 8:28 p.m.

Anything I have ever bought there I used in the time frame that allowed replacement,any thing that didn't work got replaced, I'm Happy,95 percent of my stuff is Snap-on Mac Matco and Craftsman,only craftsman had as easy of a replacement.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/17 8:37 p.m.

Thank You. I couldn't have said it better.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/17 8:45 p.m.
minivan_racer wrote:
Lawyer guy said: This lawsuit alleges that Harbor Freight violated the law by advertising merchandise as "on sale" or "comp at" that had not been sold at the stated regular or "comp at" price for 28 of the preceding 90 days.
So they are being sued because they never sold things at the "regular price" they list in the small print?

The ads say "compare at" and an inflated price for a competing part that isn't a piece of junk.

Yes, it's great that your E36 M3ty $100 impact gun is $100 compared to a $500 Snap-On gun, which is the absolute most expensive 1/2" impact gun on the market, and is coincidentally enough an even steamier pile (call it an E46 M3) because Snap-On mostly makes expensive junk for people who want to impress other people with how much money they can waste on garbage.

I'm not saving $400, I'm gambling $100.

I use real tools at work. Oddly enough, I tend to buy my real tools from NAPA anymore. IIRC you can buy the new "quiet" IR2135 from NAPA for like $250. My TiMax was $379 on sale when I bought it. Blows the Snap-On and Earthquake junk out of the water, even after ten years of hard use.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
3/17/17 6:35 a.m.

berkeley slimy lawyers and the idiots who hire them. I have spent a decent amount of money there over the time period and could dig up the receipts, but I refuse to participate in crap like this.

appliance_racer
appliance_racer New Reader
3/17/17 6:50 a.m.
T.J. wrote: berkeley slimy lawyers and the idiots who hire them. I have spent a decent amount of money there over the time period and could dig up the receipts, but I refuse to participate in crap like this.

This is where I'm at. In my opinion HF has done nothing wrong. This is just a rediculous technicality that some one is trying to make a buck on. I wish these people that pull these stupid legal stunts would learn how to WORK to make a living and not just steal it from some other hard working people.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/17 7:03 a.m.

I don't have the receipt for anything, ever.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
3/17/17 7:22 a.m.

Are they going to reduce individual settlements by the retail value of all the flashlights, tarps, multimeters, screwdrivers, and other "free gifts"?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
3/17/17 8:08 a.m.

Too bad there is not a class action suit against class action lawyers. I think I once saw an add where one made the claim "compares to a human" that seems like false advertising.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
3/17/17 8:35 a.m.

I might have the receipt from when I bought the 20ton press and that's the most expensive thing I've bought there. Will I actually go through with searching for it and filling out the form? nah...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ogLcjjndz1T9ET8ITI8fzqiEYtGnOHqMUKoQabdlDXohMMKlTnHbGh7XNQWgHt9t