1 2
Steve
Steve New Reader
1/28/23 8:10 p.m.

Just curious what the hive thinks about when they are shopping for a daily driver/commuter/family hauler. 

I see a lot of interesting cars on the market, or on the road, but not all (realistically) are as safe as others, even if the vehicle is marketed to a specific task (i.e. family hauling).

As vehicles on American roads seem to be growing in physical size every year, I grow increasingly concerned that one must fight mass with mass in our ever increasingly distracted world. I don't like it, but it feels like it is unstoppable.

My Passat wagon is low enough (and it is stock) that the LED headlights from every brodozer on the road cause quite a bit of grief. I occasionally drive our 100 series LX470 just to get my sightline above their axle line. But "safe" it is not, unless we're just talking about physical mass, which is certainly doesn't lack.

I'm in the midst of considering a switch from the Passat (2010) to something else to combat this, but what makes sense from a utility perspective (Mazda5 comes to mind), doesn't exactly score well in crash tests, which makes me question what is the correct path. It's likely there is not a "right" answer, but pulling on experience from others (the best I can do), I am curious what you all think.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/23 8:38 p.m.

My last DD was a 94 pickup so it didn't have an airbag.  It took me about a week to get over it, but it did cross my mind.  I have two cars from the 60s with just lap belts and a big steel face-punching steering wheel and that does cross my mind frequently.

When I get done with the restomods on both of them, they will have shoulder belts and likely a slightly newer, collapsing steering column, but that's about as far as I go with the safety stuff.  I also ride a motorcycle, which strangely doesn't phase me quite as much as it should.

I'm also divorced, live alone, never had kids, and squarely in the mid-life-crisis age range which may have an affect on my choices.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/28/23 8:54 p.m.

Safety is really far down the list of things I consider when buying vehicles.  Heck, I ride a motorcycle whenever the temperature is over 60 and I don't need my truck. I want seat belts and not sketchy handling and brakes but beyond that it's not really a consideration.

However, I would never criticize someone for making it a priority.  We all have different comfort levels.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
1/28/23 9:00 p.m.

I drive a MINI and a Miata in a world of 3 ton trucks and SUVs. I do have a GMC Canyon that I drive far less. I don't feel safer in it because it handles like a truck.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/28/23 9:11 p.m.

My Dad bought a new 1974 VW Superbeetle and drove it all over Chicago drumming up work for his new freelance engineering job he was doing.  I remember talking to people in high school later in the 70's.

if that thing slams into a semi truck you're instantly dead - never catch me in one of those.  

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/28/23 9:53 p.m.

Driving my home-built Locost Super 7 is certainly easier if you can square with your own sense of fate and mortality, and that ultimately, much of that is out of our own direct control.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
1/28/23 11:31 p.m.

For the daily grind I do consider safety but not beyond the basic side air bags.

In the post covid world I'm not sorry about that. I don't know how it's possible but folks drive worse then ever.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
1/29/23 5:29 a.m.

When it comes to street safety vs track safety I have different approaches.

On the track a car is pushed to its limits. So cage helmet fire suit ect are the safety.

On the street I feel the driver is more responsible for safety than the car. The safest accident is the ine you don't have. It's about not using my phone, not taking stupid chances and 8 hours bottle-to-throttle. A well maintained car with a careful driver will get you 80% of the way there.

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
1/29/23 5:42 a.m.

Honestly I watch dashcam videos sometimes and think about how to avoid the worst of the accidents, but not really about a car that I want to hit something or get hit in.  The biggest things I think are not to overreact when someone drifts into your lane, and chose cars with a low enough CG to slide rather than barrel roll on dry pavement. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/29/23 6:32 a.m.

I have an 88 Silverado that I drive occasionally to get it exercised, or when I need truck stuff. No air bags isn't the half of it, they didn't start reinforcing the sheet metal in the doors until 89.

Antilock brakes are in the rear only, and the headrest is a glass window. I'd replace it if I could afford it, and the lack of safety features is a factor in that desire. 

The big thing is that newer cars are universally safer, but upgrading the whole fleet is beyond my financial capacity. The wife's daily and family hauler is a Mazda 5, I daily an 08 civic coupe and obviously they're both way safer than the truck. 

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
1/29/23 6:58 a.m.

When I was looking for a fun vehicle I wanted a Suzuki TU250 to tool around on, but the wife was too concerned with that choice - from a safety perspective. So instead I bought a '79 MG Midget. On our roads and considering the 'quality' of drivers in general, I wonder if the motorcycle would have been a safer choice?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
1/29/23 7:21 a.m.

Absolutely. Side airbags are a requirement for my daily, but in general I'm a big fan of safe, modern cars for street duty. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
1/29/23 7:30 a.m.

Being an addict of dash cam videos on YouTube, my biggest take away is that cars rarely flip over but SUV/Crossovers do more often than not. Now, a rollover isn't as fatal these days with the way cars are constructed and the 47 airbags they have, but still...having rolled a car once I'd like to not repeat it.

Working in insurance claims/collision repair as I do the vast majority of vehicles are really safe. The smallest of the Asian brands are still pretty flimsy (Corollas come to mind) but anything Camry and larger is a safe bet.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
1/29/23 8:33 a.m.

Most EV's score really well in crash tests.  A low, centralized center of mass helps avoid undesirable kinetic motion. Not having an engine/trans in the front can allow for some interesting crash structures in pure EVs, and it means there's less to get pushed back into/under the passenger compartment in an ICE/EV shared platform.

Honestly, this is more of a concern for me when considering upgrading older vehicles than driving new. I'm generally ok with anything new enough to be designed since the mid 90s (crumple zones, airbags, collapsible steering columns). But with older stuff that had basically no thought put into crash safety when it was engineered, my focus shifts toward tech that might help prevent accidents in the first place. Things like improved lighting for better visibility, upgraded suspension/brakes to improve agility, weight balance for more predictable handling, safer fuel containment, etc.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
1/29/23 10:25 a.m.
ddavidv said:

Being an addict of dash cam videos on YouTube, my biggest take away is that cars rarely flip over but SUV/Crossovers do more often than not. Now, a rollover isn't as fatal these days with the way cars are constructed and the 47 airbags they have, but still...having rolled a car once I'd like to not repeat it.

Working in insurance claims/collision repair as I do the vast majority of vehicles are really safe. The smallest of the Asian brands are still pretty flimsy (Corollas come to mind) but anything Camry and larger is a safe bet.

This.  Having over a quarter century of experience looking at crashes all day, I completely agree.  Most modern cars are very safe.  I'd say even the small Asian ones are pretty good.  People get this false impression they're safer in some high riding SUV or bro-dozer.  Every time one of my staff alerts me to a roll over accident with injuries, my first question is "what kind of SUV was it?"  I'm right 99.9% of the time.

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/29/23 10:30 a.m.

For me, no. For a significant other, absolutely. No kids involved so I'll die on my own if something were to happen. I generally prioritize safety much higher if other lives are involved. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/29/23 11:07 a.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

Ditto.  Most modern cars are very safe.  Here in rural AZ, our rollovers are usually due to departing the paved roadway, but SUVs still get flipped in the occasional intersection collision.  Most of our serious injuries/fatalities are either unrestrained occupants, or two vehicle collisions at highway speeds.

Having ridden motorcycles for 40 years, and a 27 year career on the roads every day, I have a very well developed situational awareness, and a pretty good spidey sense for stupid drivers so I don't worry too much about what's in front of me.  What I worry about is being rear-ended...  I've only had it happen once, and fortunately we were in our dually, but you have zero ability to avoid if you're stopped and boxed in.  

parker
parker HalfDork
1/29/23 11:34 a.m.

No.  My first car was a 1963 CJ5, my second a 1976 MG Midget.  And a Honda Interceptor.  Anything is safer than these so it never crosses my mind.  Most of what the general public considers "safe" (SUV's and crossovers) are much more likely to be involved in an accident and roll than my FR-S.

I ride motorcycles and drive known dangerous domestic cars, never have really had a second thought. 

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
1/29/23 7:35 p.m.

I have a family that is more important to me than anything else, so yes safety plays into all of my vehicular decisions.

AClockworkGarage said:
On the street I feel the driver is more responsible for safety than the car. The safest accident is the ine you don't have. It's about not using my phone, not taking stupid chances and 8 hours bottle-to-throttle. A well maintained car with a careful driver will get you 80% of the way there.

Agreed. Situational awareness and being ready for the unexpected is the biggest factor, IMO.

I also feel like my ability to respond and avoid is quite a bit better in a small, nimble, light, low vehicle with great tires and brakes...and because it is small I have more potential escape routes...but what do I know? YMMV.

Edit: I think my many years of riding bicycles and motorcycles on the road informs my understanding of these issues. My approach involves presuming that everyone on the road is an oblivious idiot, and due to my choice of vehicle, passive safety is minimal, so avoidance is the best avenue. As such, I've got to be prepared to anticipate, avoid, respond, slow down, and/or evade, and therefore I always make sure my head is screwed on straight and I'm mentally prepared and focused and I know how to exploit my vehicle's capabilities before setting out. I'm not an expert, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I'm 46 years old with zero accidents/collisions in my life, FWIW. Not intending to brag, but simply wanting to provide counterpoint to the bigger/heavier/taller arms race that eventually harms all of us because everyone feels the need to be "safer" than the Joneses. Once again, YMMV.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
1/29/23 7:46 p.m.

I do give it some thought, but generally the vehicles that I'd pick as a reasonable daily are safe enough to not concern me.  And as others have said, good handling, good tires, etc. goes a long way for avoiding accidents.  I've had a few close calls when someone has done something stupid where good brakes, tires, etc. were likely the difference between "that was uncomfortable" and an unpleasant crunching sound. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
1/29/23 7:59 p.m.

I'm a fan of all modern safety features. I walked away from a head on collision in a Mazda CX-5 at 45 mph without a scratch on me.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
1/29/23 8:15 p.m.

Yes most definitely, as I position myself ahead of all the knuckleheads behind at every opportunity......(uh I don't drive defensively)....there's a phrase from a popular movie that describes this driving style......if I'm not mistaken.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
1/30/23 6:05 a.m.
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) said:
AClockworkGarage said:

Agreed. Situational awareness and being ready for the unexpected is the biggest factor, IMO.

I also feel like my ability to respond and avoid is quite a bit better in a small, nimble, light, low vehicle with great tires and brakes...and because it is small I have more potential escape routes...but what do I know? YMMV.

Edit: I think my many years of riding bicycles and motorcycles on the road informs my understanding of these issues. My approach involves presuming that everyone on the road is an oblivious idiot, and due to my choice of vehicle, passive safety is minimal, so avoidance is the best avenue. As such, I've got to be prepared to anticipate, avoid, respond, slow down, and/or evade, and therefore I always make sure my head is screwed on straight and I'm mentally prepared and focused and I know how to exploit my vehicle's capabilities before setting out. I'm not an expert, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I'm 46 years old with zero accidents/collisions in my life, FWIW. Not intending to brag, but simply wanting to provide counterpoint to the bigger/heavier/taller arms race that eventually harms all of us because everyone feels the need to be "safer" than the Joneses. Once again, YMMV.

I completely agree with you on the defense driving, that is one of the best ways to avoid an accident.  I will also say that the zero accidents part for you, while outstanding, is part skill and part blind luck.  Having witnessed countless accidents via dash cam, sometimes no matter how defensively you drive, an accident is going to happen.  Doesn't mean you need to join the arms race, it's silly.  However, safety of the vehicle is a major factor for me.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7pxrOx4eUMpZd1Fu40ZL1nimxCQwEVMnczAyo5xNadNZySQlh6cbUVIjwg7bfa11