1 2
P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/18/10 11:05 p.m.

Of course you do. Enjoy!

This is my friend Josh McCall's FC. It has an LS1 swap (5.7L, 300rwhp) and a widebody with freaking HUGE V710's. This is the 3rd fastest time of the day overall behind an all-out 914-6 XP car and Tom Kotzian in an SMF Cooper S.

And since you're there, you might as well check out my other videos on My Channel including one of me in the Miata from the door.

It was an awesome day!

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
4/19/10 6:00 a.m.

That was really cool!! What kind of camera and mount did you use?

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer Reader
4/19/10 6:42 a.m.

Cool! I need a car I car race w/o my wife objecting.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/19/10 6:55 a.m.

Love it.

speedblind
speedblind Reader
4/19/10 7:43 a.m.

Great video. I'm assuming this is shot with the same cam as the go-kart videos? Pretty impressive.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/19/10 8:03 a.m.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. A few questions, if you'll indulge me.

1. What suspension is he running? It was interesting to watch the suspension work but there seemed to be some tire smoke too.
  2. You mentioned a widebody. Did he add flares himself or aftermarket pieces? Any pics?
  3. Stock motor?

Thanks again!

P71
4/19/10 8:11 a.m.

Camera: GoPro Hero HD, mount is the suction cup that comes in the Motorsports kit. The whole shebang was under $300 on Amazon. Factory setting, I'm still learning how to mount the thing let alone adjust stuff.

Car: There are coilovers on adjustables (double, I don't know what brand, Koni maybe?), bushings, camber kit, FSB, and a Torsen. I can ask for specifics. The car has a fiberglass widebody kit (tasteful actually, looks stock in black) that he added (replacement fenders, bolt-over rear 1/4's, had to cut the wheelwells). I think he's running 285's up front and 315's out back? I'll ask again...

And yes, it is a STOCK 98-02 F-Body LS1 including cast iron manifolds, cam, and accessories (except A/C)! It has a cone filter on the inlet tube and a pair of eBay mufflers on the back!

P71
4/19/10 8:12 a.m.

PS - GoPro advertises this exact camera kit in GRM, which is how I knew about and decided to buy it.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/19/10 8:38 a.m.

I simply must know more about the Cooper S that beat him.. What has been done to that thing?

P71
4/19/10 8:43 a.m.

It's a former Prepared car that moved to Modified. It's at the absolute rulebook limits, trailered-only race car. Huge flares, A6's, complete adjustable suspension, bigger turbo, cage, EMS, etc, etc. The owner of the car didn't beat Josh in it, it took multiple National Champion Tom Kotzian to do it. While they spent a half hour loading it back on a trailer Josh drove home through downtown Portland traffic and potholes.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
4/19/10 10:21 a.m.

Almost looks to me like the tire smoke in the rear is caused by the tire rubbing the fender.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
4/19/10 10:44 a.m.
Armitage wrote: Almost looks to me like the tire smoke in the rear is caused by the tire rubbing the fender.

I thought the same thing.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/19/10 11:03 a.m.

I agree...that's why I asked about the suspension set up.

speedblind
speedblind Reader
4/19/10 12:40 p.m.

Just bought a GoPro setup. Right off their site for $310 shipped.

I wonder how slow things will look in an E30? I guess I'll just have to mount it as close to the ground as possible.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
4/19/10 6:00 p.m.

That car gets my "Full Gnar 5 Star" rating.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
4/19/10 6:11 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
Armitage wrote: Almost looks to me like the tire smoke in the rear is caused by the tire rubbing the fender.
I thought the same thing.

+1 Potential disastrous setup, especially with how quick that sucker is.

P71
4/19/10 10:24 p.m.

Remember those quarter panels are fiberglass, they're likely giving in before the rubber...

I'm quizzing Josh on the specifics of his setup.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/3/10 9:04 p.m.
P71 wrote: Remember those quarter panels are fiberglass, they're likely giving in before the rubber... I'm quizzing Josh on the specifics of his setup.

Bringing this thread back. Any chance you can get Josh on here to answer some questions? I'd love to see some photos of his car too.

josh18_2k
josh18_2k
7/7/11 2:24 p.m.

Just stumbled upon this thread... As mike said, my car is 100% stock ls1, near full weight. Fiberglass f/r fenders, oem aluminum hood, and no rear interior is it for weight redux. I'm guessing it's ~2700 w/o driver, I'll find out next mOnth at packwood national tour.

At the time of the vid I was on double adjustable konis from tripoint. The fronts were 8611's and the rears are modified yellows. The 86's are awesome up front, but the rears were too stiff in low speed rebound even on full soft. As a result the car was really tricky in transitions and bumps. I bought them used, and rather than dump more money in, I sold them and went for cheaper setup.
I'm now on bilsteins- 3000gt strut insert up front in homemade housings, and 46mm NASCAR shocks in the rear. Bthe rears are AMAZING, but the fronts are a bit soft. That's fine- the car is much easier to drive now, and results show it. I'd say I'm ~2s faster on a 60s course vs the konis.

I'm running v710s- 285/30/18 fronts on 18x10s and 315/35/17 rear on 17x10.5s (mustang wheels). Why the kumhos and funny stagger? Because I'm poor and I can find these tires dirt cheap used :-)

josh18_2k
josh18_2k New Reader
7/7/11 2:31 p.m.

In regards to tire smoke- the rears rub inside and out lol. The fenders aren't quite wide enough... It only affects to corners, which aren even used on 710s, so I don't really care.

I'm runny 600/400 springs with susp techniques sway bar uP front and no rear bar. I really need to fab roll center correction up front, then I shoul be able to even out the springs, or maybe ditch the front bar.

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/8/11 4:41 p.m.

stupid noob question but can the GoPro Hero also take stills?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
7/8/11 4:45 p.m.
P71 wrote: It's a former Prepared car that moved to Modified. It's at the absolute rulebook limits, trailered-only race car. Huge flares, A6's, complete adjustable suspension, bigger turbo, cage, EMS, etc, etc. The owner of the car didn't beat Josh in it, it took multiple National Champion Tom Kotzian to do it. While they spent a half hour loading it back on a trailer Josh drove home through downtown Portland traffic and potholes.

Pics?

Oh, and yes, the RX7 is awesome for sure!!!!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/8/11 4:59 p.m.

All the pics you can handle: pacnwracingscene.com

Go to 2011 Event Pictures for the latest shots of it (newest album, ORPCA AX #4), or 2010 for the shots of it when this video was taken.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
7/8/11 5:41 p.m.

No pics of the Mini in there. Lots of pics of the RX7, though... ME LIKE

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/8/11 5:48 p.m.

You wanted the MINI? Snooze!

There should be shots of it in the 2010 section, I haven't seen it out yet this year. It's Blue.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DbZHn9h7d8rgiLNQrSb5ZBtGyRGoizFNgS8199QgvqHCLwSJaMC75MTFCjwj2Rbd