1 2 3 ... 7
Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
4/11/17 8:04 p.m.
Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
4/11/17 8:13 p.m.

"The NHRA confirmed the drag time, and then banned the car from competition."

WTF MAN!

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/11/17 8:13 p.m.

It's an amazing car, for sure....but with all the ado about the Hellcat and now the Demon, it's easy to forget that there is no buzz whatsoever about anything else with the Dodge name on it.

Seems to me that the car companies that are actually the most successful and profitable are the ones that are spending their money and skills to make their mass-produced cars better, more reliable, more desirable. YMMV though...Meanwhile, pretty sure Dodge is still the least relevant major car brand being sold in this country (especially now that Ram has spun off the truck line and it's technically not "Dodge" any more, right?)

Put some of that awesomeness into the Dart so it's something more than a mediocre also-ran compared to its competitors....

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/17 8:18 p.m.

The Demon is supposed to be a Dart with some fancy pinstripes.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/11/17 8:38 p.m.
irish44j wrote: It's an amazing car, for sure....but with all the ado about the Hellcat and now the Demon, it's easy to forget that there is no buzz whatsoever about anything else with the Dodge name on it. Seems to me that the car companies that are actually the most successful and profitable are the ones that are spending their money and skills to make their mass-produced cars better, more reliable, more desirable. YMMV though...Meanwhile, pretty sure Dodge is still the least relevant major car brand being sold in this country (especially now that Ram has spun off the truck line and it's technically not "Dodge" any more, right?) Put some of that awesomeness into the Dart so it's something more than a mediocre also-ran compared to its competitors....

no that would be Chrysler since at least dodge have vehicles people talk about. And yet again Jeep is the only thing keeping FCA afloat

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/11/17 8:39 p.m.

As a mopar guy i am proud of what they are doing with the hellcat and demon.

I am ashamed at the rest. The only new Chrysler mainline car that i would even consider is the caravan. Which is sad, really.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/11/17 8:58 p.m.

Where is my SRT4, dammit?!?!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/11/17 9:02 p.m.

The viper generated a E36 M3pile of buzz and put eyes on Mopar 30 years ago. They're doing it again. Remains to be seen if it works again.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/11/17 9:04 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: As a mopar guy i am proud of what they are doing with the hellcat and demon. I am ashamed at the rest. The only new Chrysler mainline car that i would even consider is the caravan. Which is sad, really.

im only considering a wrangler because it is literally the only new vehicle still sold with decent offroad performance. Sub 30k

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/11/17 9:04 p.m.

Is that a car that can wheel-stand out of the dealer lot?

Gotta be a first for everything, right?

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
4/11/17 9:06 p.m.

It's an amazing car, but it's no Prius!
Anyway, I'm glad they are producing it, it'll make Ford and Chevy up their games, that's a good thing. But yes, I would sure like to see FCA introduce a new car and ditch the MB chassis that the Germans forced on you after the 'merger of equals' many moons ago.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
4/11/17 9:07 p.m.

840hp and runs nines, it must still be heavy as hell.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/11/17 9:22 p.m.
Robbie wrote: Is that a car that can wheel-stand out of the dealer lot? Gotta be a first for everything, right?

i give it less than 2 hours for one to be totaled

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
4/11/17 9:46 p.m.

Awesome, I love it. What a beast.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/11/17 9:51 p.m.

Robbie wrote: Is that a car that can wheel-stand out of the dealer lot? Gotta be a first for everything, right?
loosecannon
loosecannon HalfDork
4/11/17 10:07 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: "The NHRA confirmed the drag time, and then banned the car from competition." WTF MAN!

The NHRA has safety rules for every level of 1/4 mile times and at 9.65 seconds, the car is required to have a roll bar, external battery cut off switch, driveshaft hoop, scattershield, etc, etc. With my MGB, as soon as I ran 11's, I was required to have straps to hold my hands on the wheel. The two things that most impress me are the 0-60 mph time and that the car can pull the front tires off the ground when launching. It's a good time to be a car guy.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
4/11/17 10:17 p.m.

Wait straps for your hands?

That seems like a good way to break your wrists.

I'm not sure what I enjoy seeing more, the people who make poor attempts at E36 M3ting on the car because it's a dodge, the ones who don't understand the point of a halo car or the ones who apparently don't understand that "purpose built drag car" implies poor turning.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/11/17 10:29 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
Robbie wrote: Is that a car that can wheel-stand out of the dealer lot? Gotta be a first for everything, right?

Touche. but that is a - shall we say - loophole.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
4/11/17 10:54 p.m.

Finally Dodge makes a bonkers muscle car that's actually as bonkers as people want to think it is.

loosecannon
loosecannon HalfDork
4/11/17 11:25 p.m.
Grizz wrote: Wait straps for your hands? That seems like a good way to break your wrists. I'm not sure what I enjoy seeing more, the people who make poor attempts at E36 M3ting on the car because it's a dodge, the ones who don't understand the point of a halo car or the ones who apparently don't understand that "purpose built drag car" implies poor turning.

Yes, in case I lost control and the car flipped, my arms wouldn't be flailing about and getting torn off 'n stuff

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/12/17 12:54 a.m.

Impressive car. I wonder how much normal front wheels would slow down the 1/4 mile times? I never liked cookie cutters on street cars.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/17 1:10 a.m.
dropstep wrote: 840hp and runs nines, it must still be heavy as hell.

Probably not so much compared to other modern Chryslers. On street tires, we figure a thousand HP is mid-low tens for a 3800lb car. Less power and lower ET means it's got to be lighter and the chassis hooks harder... and those tires have got to be pretty gummy.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
4/12/17 5:30 a.m.

I am curious to read about how competition use may effect the warranty.

Some of the claims are curious to me too. I wonder how many of their numbers were achieved on prepped drag strips versus good pavement.

Didn't the ford lightning use the a/c to cool the inter cooler? Was it somehow different from what dodge is doing so they can claim first.

Anyway, I am glad this car exists.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/12/17 5:45 a.m.

I like it. I'm glad Dodge is building it. There are a LOT of Chargers and Challengers and trucks running around, so they must be doing something that people like.
And don't forget, they also released the info on the Grand Cherokee Trailcat a couple days ago. Your 707hp AWD family hauler has arrived.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/12/17 5:55 a.m.
pushrod36 wrote: I am curious to read about how competition use may effect the warranty.

without tons of saftey mods its banned from nhra events so you will get maybe one pass before most tracks will ask you not to come back without the proper safety gear. There are certain exceptions for certain Stock classes and the Z06 vettes and gtrs but those are all running slower than high 10's.

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GfhlU8agSGVAh2zRGpBxePXNic8CvnH5NpcDmTrBLFUH7OR05uYgVZy14Vrflmht