FlightService
FlightService Dork
1/26/12 3:10 p.m.

Why does the Lancer and the Dart look so similar in the A, B, and C pillar region? The flares on the fenders even remind me of the Lancer.

Anyone know? I know it wouldn't be the first time.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/12 3:12 p.m.

Because 99.9% of cars are built the same way. Nearly everything has the fender cut up in the A-pillar now, and there hasn't been a B-pillarless 4 door (besides that 1 Benz) since the late 70's.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/12 3:17 p.m.

There is a slight difference in the way they drive I bet...

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
1/26/12 3:28 p.m.

All I know is that I was quite impressed with how it looked at the NAIAS. The R/T trim level is pushing 190 HP... And I hope that there will be a SRT4.

I kept thinking to myself, "Thank the Lord that it's not another Caliber! Way, way better!"

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
1/26/12 3:29 p.m.

you forgot "Dodge Colt"

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
1/26/12 3:49 p.m.
FlightService wrote: Why does the Lancer and the Dart look so similar in the A, B, and C pillar region? The flares on the fenders even remind me of the Lancer.

Because the first generation Mopar A-body was called the Lancer?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/12 3:50 p.m.

For a entry level econo-sedan, the Dart's pretty good looking.

Coupe please!

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
1/26/12 4:00 p.m.

The Dart and Lancer/LanEvo engines are based on the GEMA architecture that Dodge, Mitsubishi, and Hyundai co-developed. That's the only official link I can find between the Dart and the Lancer.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
1/26/12 4:07 p.m.

Er, I don't think that is right. The Dart is based on a Alfa/Fiat chassis or some such shenanigans,.

Giulietta platform

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-57355281/new-dodge-dart-compact-has-alfa-romeo-dna/

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
1/26/12 5:07 p.m.
Javelin wrote: ....there hasn't been a B-pillarless 4 door (besides that 1 Benz) since the late 70's.

929 Hardtop:

We did not get it here.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
1/27/12 7:15 a.m.

All cars today look the same...Were becoming NASCRAP.... Looks kinda Focus like to me..

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
1/27/12 7:17 a.m.

In answer to your question, they look similar for the same reason all other cars look similar. In the hunt for every chunk of fuel economy, the wind tunnel styles the car.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
1/27/12 7:32 a.m.
44Dwarf wrote: All cars today look the same...Were becoming NASCRAP.... Looks kinda Focus like to me..

If its as much as improvement for Dodge as the new Focus is over the old one, Dodge has a serious winnar on their hands.

I think this Dart is certainly styled better than the Focus, lets see if they get the rest of it right..

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
1/27/12 7:53 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Er, I don't think that is right. The Dart is based on a Alfa/Fiat chassis or some such shenanigans,.
Giulietta platform
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-57355281/new-dodge-dart-compact-has-alfa-romeo-dna/

OTOH, the Caliber was based on the Lancer. So was the Jeep Compass, which was supposed to be "rally car inspired" - why they never built a Compass EVO has always baffled me.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
1/27/12 10:24 a.m.

Well, you'll see an awd Dart with 600hp at Global Rallycross if that makes you feel any better ;)

FlightService
FlightService Dork
1/27/12 10:29 a.m.

In reply to HiTempguy:

Why yes, yes it would Make me feel better

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TvgWBgoFs3j3rK3rJYybGGb9SvznexRRrbSOhWd0huljDZfGoTdxSGBNa8f8woQ5