1 2 3
NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
9/3/15 2:12 p.m.

Stealing from the Retro Rides board,this guy gets my award if he shows up at the challenge:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/152399/cornering-hard

Now this guy, I just dont have a clue what or how he is up to?

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/3/15 2:15 p.m.

On the 2nd methinks a spin trying to save it and now about to roll over(right to left in the pic).

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
9/3/15 2:41 p.m.

Not really:

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
9/3/15 2:53 p.m.

Nobody does this better than the French!

Burrito
Burrito Dork
9/3/15 3:04 p.m.

That is one of my favorite threads on RetroRides.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/3/15 3:25 p.m.

Hey, that first picture is mine! It must have been hotlinked from GRM (I guess I should have watermarked it, I don't really care though). It was taken at the Ventura CORSA Corvair Convention. I have a few more of that Greenbrier (not as extreme as the top one though):

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/3/15 3:52 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:

There's one of those Corvair Greenbriars that lives somewhere between my home and work. I see it most Fridays on either my way in or home during the warm months and have ended up following it on a few occasions. Man, does that thing have some serious body roll, even under normal cornering. Can't imagine trying to autocross one but that's awesome that you do!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/3/15 4:10 p.m.

No no. Not me IN the car. I just took the picture.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
9/3/15 4:23 p.m.

I remember feeling like I was gonna scrape my door handles on my spring-over Samurai with sway bar removed if I ever turned aggressively.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/3/15 4:39 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Now this guy, I just dont have a clue what or how he is up to?

That's kinda what it felt like in Evan's Miata when I hit the rut that knocked the upper ball joint out of the control arm...

Knurled
9/3/15 4:41 p.m.
flatlander937 wrote: On the 2nd methinks a spin trying to save it and now about to roll over(right to left in the pic).

Nah, if you look at the cones, I have a feeling he was in a full opposite lock powerslide around a left hand corner coming down off the curbing, and the cameraman got his "click" right at the moment of "jump drift".

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/3/15 5:04 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
flatlander937 wrote: On the 2nd methinks a spin trying to save it and now about to roll over(right to left in the pic).
Nah, if you look at the cones, I have a feeling he was in a full opposite lock powerslide around a left hand corner coming down off the curbing, and the cameraman got his "click" right at the moment of "jump drift".

You can drift an Imp?!?!?!?

NickD
NickD New Reader
9/3/15 5:09 p.m.

Boy, and I thought my Miata had some body roll

Side note: Help, how do I photo?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy PowerDork
9/3/15 5:11 p.m.

No, it does not. But it sure as hell was fun!

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/15 5:34 p.m.
NickD wrote: Boy, and I thought my Miata had some body roll Side note: Help, how do I photo?

Knurled
9/3/15 5:47 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/15 6:09 p.m.

Why yes, yes it does.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/15 6:33 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Nobody does this better than the French!

Wait you mean the way cars act in the Movie Cars is real?

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
9/3/15 6:49 p.m.

If your right foot works right.

Gary
Gary Dork
9/3/15 9:22 p.m.

In reply to JohnInKansas:

That's a great picture! I think it's great that people still set up old VW's to handle well (to the best of their ability by today's standards anyway). I published a book on that subject around 35 years ago titled "The Beetle Handling Book." Even though I have a Library of Congress "ISBN" number for it, you won't find it by Googling it by title. It was self-published and drifted out of print in the early eighties. But I put a lot of time and effort into creating it (research, artwork, text, etc.) There might be used copies available out there somewhere, but I don't intend to reprint it. I do have an original copy, as well as all the original artwork, which I created myself.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
9/3/15 9:47 p.m.

My stock suspension on my old EG kinda had a bit of roll to it. Still miss that car, damn you Canadian winters and your dirty salt.

<a href="blk_rims_civic">Civic

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/15 11:11 p.m.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
9/4/15 9:42 a.m.

On thing about those cars with the drive wheels in the air.

It will slow their exit speed.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/15 9:56 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: I remember feeling like I was gonna scrape my door handles on my spring-over Samurai with sway bar removed if I ever turned aggressively.

Yep I drove it like that once. It hardly felt like a wheeled vehicle, more like a self-propelled beanbag chair.

I have some pics of my 'rolla dragging the doors through the corners from when it had stock suspension, I'll have to see if I can dig them up.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/4/15 10:06 a.m.

No.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dbLRqSktuTvexr3EOa19n9Yot9KsUVxVjSznPWXDTGmklAuxNebTaTm5qEREBh62