1 2
GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
5/14/22 9:09 p.m.

If drag is going to remain important to you when you get 200TW tires do some research or ask around on here to find ones with softer sidewalls. You'll give up a little lateral grip and transitional ability for improved launches especially when aired down. I know the NT05s marketed their softer sidewalls and lack of void as making them a borderline drag radial when aired down but those have been discontinued and were barely in the autocross conversation for a few years before discontinuation. I know ECSs have what's considered softer sidewalls but they have a lot of void as a concession for wet performance. They also run "short" which in theory is bad for drag since height adds more to forward bite than width. But they do lower gearing and with AWD maybe it's not so bad. Also treadwear 340 not 200, but wear almost like a 200.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/22 9:19 p.m.

In reply to GCrites80s :

They wear like iron IME smiley

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
5/14/22 9:39 p.m.

I haven't had mine long enough to wear them out so I'm going off of the mixed wear reports of others. And they are mixed. I've got a couple months before I can really try to waer them out.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/22 10:53 p.m.

I have maybe 30k on mine and they are still at about 5-6/32" of depth.  Love 'em.  Deep water is not as good as the gForce SC2s but everything else is great.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/15/22 6:29 a.m.

Mph is there for a high 12s pass. 60' has to to be sub 2s though. I have seen that done on street tire r32s but don't know much about the newer Rs. Any way to log haldex lockup data? Wheel speeds? This use gen2 or gen5? 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/16/22 4:44 p.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

I think gen2.No way to currently log haldex, but the guy behind me said I spun all four and needed better tires.

There was an R32 there as well running about a tenth behind me, sadly we did not line up together. That would have been fanboi cool.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/16/22 8:12 p.m.

Spinning all four sounds like there was no track prep either. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
5/16/22 11:47 p.m.

The launch makes a HUGE difference on an AWD car. Not only does a good launch lead to good 60' times and a good ET, a bad launch results in a bog and a big drop in ET. I found that my runs were in separate groups, good runs or throw aways without much cross over. It took me a while to get used to launching my DSM. The key was when a friend told me to stop trying to time the throttle with lifting the clutch like in regular driving- floor the gas a split second before lifting off the clutch. And hold it there, don't lift if you think you are spinning- a little spin can be quicker. I cut almost 1/2 second off my 60' and almost a full second off my 1/4 with that change alone. The 1-2 shift is also extremely important. Reading the article you linked, it said that the AWD system should be able to transfer as much torque as the rear will take. At your MPH, you should be right in the 13 flat- high 12 range with a good launch. I wouldn't worry about stickier tires yet, unless you are getting crazy wheel spin and wheel hop. An AWD with a little spin is quicker than one that bogs. I know lots of DSM guys that went 12's with all season tires and similar power to weight. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/22 4:44 p.m.

Today as I played with the traction control button while sitting in traffic made me wonder if it dupes the rear into not engaging if the TC takes care of the slip.

Not hitting the track this weekend because PUPPIES, but will likely go next Friday.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
21kxAhIG0ySClYP1zKkzWPtPZx4WSnD6vsOpgQ33QKpMaq8yULUcwUnGuVKymf0M