1 2 3 4
TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/24/19 7:58 a.m.

Hey guys! It's been a while. 

Hopefully there is not a thread for this already. So who's excited for Drag Week 2019? Who's going? We are 7 weeks out. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/24/19 8:03 a.m.

My Dad and I are going with a 1981 Ford Fairmont. Some of you are probably already following the build, but for those of you that aren't...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/19 8:10 a.m.

I didn’t realize it was so soon, hope all the queens are ready!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/24/19 8:24 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

This is you right now.

I'm out.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/24/19 10:59 a.m.

What's the deal with Fairmonts recently and why is every LS builder using them?

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
7/24/19 11:06 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

Cheap still and g-bodys are getting expensive for no good reason.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/24/19 11:33 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

Relatively light weight, very cheap buy-in, plenty of room in the engine compartment for turbos and intercoolers, and the rear suspension is pretty easy to get traction.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/24/19 11:36 a.m.

Holy cow, they ARE light! Wikipedia is saying 2,900 lbs. That's lighter than G-body's, which I agree are getting way too expensive. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/24/19 11:56 a.m.

Isn't that vintage Fairmont a Fox chassis? So all of the mustang drag suspension stuff goes on them cheap and easy. 

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/24/19 12:11 p.m.

Is there a thread for the fairmont build? I went looking, but no luck.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
7/24/19 2:00 p.m.

In reply to bluej :

https://www.youtube.com/user/Nivlac57

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
7/24/19 2:20 p.m.

Nice, hope they live stream it again this year.  I’ll keep my eyes open for you guys.  Got a soft spot for Fairmont wagons, as I spent a good part of my childhood riding around in one.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/24/19 2:51 p.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Twin Turbo LS... what kind of power are you expecting out of that?  

And since I'm too lazy to find the build file- was the car choice because of lightness or because of cost?  Which brings up another follow up question- if this was a budget build, what did you guys do to the LS to match with the turbos?

I'm quite interested in hearing how fast that thing ends up being.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
7/24/19 3:22 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Calvin is shooting for 8.50 second passes. When I asked about power needs to do that the number 1000 came into the conversation. cheeky

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/24/19 4:08 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Other than the two turbos, what's done with the engine?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/24/19 4:24 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to bluej :

Watched the PW/ Duty Cycle video.  One suggestion- using a/f can be misleading- it assumes a specific fuel.  And I know lambda or gamma (can't remember what GM has) is in there.  One other reason for the lower peak duty cycle is so that you can be somewhat robust to alternate fuel- especially if it's closed loop control using a WB sensor at WOT (which I'd 100% recommend).  

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
7/24/19 5:22 p.m.

I’ve been watching your build on YouTube, started watching with your turbo atlas stuff. You’re doing great work and fast.

I'm a big fan of drag week and love watching the coverage. Will be following along watching the livestream for your car.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/24/19 6:34 p.m.

I caught your Nova on Sloppy's Youtube channel the other day. OH MY GOD does that thing sound amazing!

https://youtu.be/xoLX-mjY__o

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
7/24/19 8:17 p.m.

And the Atlas turboStudeBkr is .......just a memory???????

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/24/19 8:36 p.m.

Thanks for the love everyone. We chose the Fairmont for a variety of reasons.

• It is not a Mustang
  • Anything that bolts to a Mustang, bolts to a Fairmont
  • It is relatively light. 2910 from the Factory with the 200 six. The class I wish to participate in requires that the car weigh 3200 pounds with driver, so we should be able to get close to that with relative ease.
  • It had super low miles, 26000
  • It is one of the least rusty cars I have ever worked on.
  • Extra cargo space. Really nice to have on drag week.
TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/24/19 8:37 p.m.
759NRNG said:

Absolutely not. I drive it fairly often. I plan to make a few more videos soon and go for the 500whp mark once the Fairmont is done.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/24/19 8:39 p.m.
alfadriver said:
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to bluej :

Watched the PW/ Duty Cycle video.  One suggestion- using a/f can be misleading- it assumes a specific fuel.  And I know lambda or gamma (can't remember what GM has) is in there.  One other reason for the lower peak duty cycle is so that you can be somewhat robust to alternate fuel- especially if it's closed loop control using a WB sensor at WOT (which I'd 100% recommend).  

Yeah. It's just what I'm used to seeing. Lambda is more accurate terminology, but I can look at "AFR" that is based off gas stoich and instantly know it's right or wrong. I think that is important when you are going down the track and are trying to make a quick glance at the gauges.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/24/19 8:41 p.m.
Furious_E said:

I caught your Nova on Sloppy's Youtube channel the other day. OH MY GOD does that thing sound amazing!

https://youtu.be/xoLX-mjY__o

Thanks bud. It is super loud. Standing next to it while it is on the 2-step is painful. Ear plugs are an absolute must.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/24/19 8:44 p.m.

To the engine questions. It is an LY6. IRON 6.0l with Square port heads. It is a stock bottom end. Gapped rings and a Sloppy Stage 2 cam. PAC 1218 springs.

We've figured out how to make them last. Only time will tell with this one. We'll be close to home, so should be alright.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
7/24/19 8:53 p.m.
TheV8Kid said:
759NRNG said:

Absolutely not. I drive it fairly often. I plan to make a few more videos soon and go for the 500whp mark once the Fairmont is done.

And will there be an update on it?? there's another thread here with a 64 Rambler with C4 underpinnings sporting an Atlas also, would hope that y'all could commiserate wink

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zALzuSSYvtGDLYTaiPKmE2WeXvhBPLRpcWJ0GegzZsaLuNjzSgu4ehLf0TQcJ4fO