1 2 3 4
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/25/19 6:21 a.m.
TheV8Kid said:

To the engine questions. It is an LY6. IRON 6.0l with Square port heads. It is a stock bottom end. Gapped rings and a Sloppy Stage 2 cam. PAC 1218 springs.

We've figured out how to make them last. Only time will tell with this one. We'll be close to home, so should be alright.

Stock bottom end as in stock compression?  I can understand stock crank, perhaps stock rods- as I know they are commonly overbuilt.  But I can't really understand keeping stock compression.

Given how much boost you need to get 1000hp, this needs further explained... smiley

(PAC springs?  did you guys develop springs or is there another PAC racing out there?)

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/25/19 6:57 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

We are PACC Racing. PAC springs is another company. I like the name though.

Yep. Stock crank. Stock rods. Stock pistons. Stock rings (that have been gapped). Stock compression.

It is very common to see boosted engines with 10:1 compression these days. The head flow like 300cfm. It won't take much boost to make a lot of power. I'm planning on around 20-25 psi. We'll work out way up to that gradually.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/25/19 7:16 a.m.

As someone who grew up with 80's turbo cars, I love the fact that modern engine controls make 20-25psi "low boost". Not too long ago that sort of thing was dancing with the devil unless you were running some very strange fuel. 

I'm looking forward to following along with you guys this year. How does an 8.50 measure against the fast times you and your dad have run in your current cars?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/25/19 7:18 a.m.

But modern 10:1 boosted engines also have direct injection.  At least the ones I work with.  You are running a re-calibrated GM controller, right?  That's what I saw when you guys did the duty cycle explained video.  So I would expect you to have knock sensing, right?

LOL- only at GRM is 20-25psi not a lot of boost- that's almost 2 ATM.  But that's pretty much what I would expect you would need to go from (presumably) 400hp to ~1000hp.

This will be fun to watch.  

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/25/19 9:04 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

The class we are participating in is Small Block Street Race Power Adder. The class prohibits funny car style cages. Therefore you can only legally run an 8.50. The key is consistency in the class. Cars that are at the top are trying to hit that 8.50 mark as close as possible. I think the team that won it last year averaged an 8.52

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/25/19 9:06 a.m.
alfadriver said:

But modern 10:1 boosted engines also have direct injection.  At least the ones I work with.  You are running a re-calibrated GM controller, right?  That's what I saw when you guys did the duty cycle explained video.  So I would expect you to have knock sensing, right?

LOL- only at GRM is 20-25psi not a lot of boost- that's almost 2 ATM.  But that's pretty much what I would expect you would need to go from (presumably) 400hp to ~1000hp.

This will be fun to watch.  

On this car we will be running a Holley Terminator X, which has knock sensor support. There is a guy making 1200whp with a stock bottom end 6.0L right now. People have figured out how to tune them and make them last. He's probably made 30 passes like that. There is a reason people are swapping these engines into everything.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/25/19 10:15 a.m.

Took this last night. We are getting closer.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/25/19 6:42 p.m.

Car looks good, and has the right recipe for SRSBPA. I will be watching for you on the live stream.

Long shot here, but did you end up scrapping that 200? I have a good friend who runs SRSBNA and will be on DW19. If that 200 is a low mount starter, and it hasn't been scrapped, maybe we can setup an exchange at DW?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/25/19 8:39 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

Unfortunately, I did. Sorry man. It did have the low mount starter too.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
8/13/19 6:10 a.m.

Went to the dyno over the weekend....

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/13/19 6:20 a.m.

Nice!  So on those short pulls, how is the boost pressure control?  Curious more for the longner pulls in higher gears on the drag strip...

And are you planning on 27psi to break 1000 WHP?  

One other thing that wasn't totally clear from the videos- how much of the intake system is 3D printed?  Are some of those parts under pressure?  And if they are, can you share the secret material that makes the printing so strong?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
8/13/19 7:02 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I'm thinking about pushing to 30psi at some point. We ran out of pulsewidth on the boost controller when we were on the Dyno. If I put a 5 pound base spring in it, it would allow for more boost up top. That will likely be after drag week. Wastegate control was beautiful. My dad and I made sure to get the placement right.

Only the inlet to the turbo parts are printed. Nothing is under pressure. I was thinking about trying something that would have to take some pressure but changed my mind at the last minute. Maybe later. I'm using polycarbonate. For the pressurized parts I plan to use carbon fiber reinforced poly carbonate.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/6/19 4:44 a.m.

TheV8Kid's been busy getting ready the last few weeks...

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/6/19 4:48 a.m.

also, Bring it Muscle cars is doing a late mad-rush prep thing...

They (or Jared and the G8) did OneLap this year.  Wheels/V8Kid, you might give them a wave... they've apparently had a rough reception from some DW people on FecesBook.  Although, I'm not sure the above video does much to burnish their cred (do the kids still say that?)?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/6/19 11:35 a.m.

I'll have to keep out for the Bring It Muscle guys. Thanks for the support!

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
9/6/19 1:21 p.m.

Glad to see things coming together. Hope to catch you guys at Cecil.

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/9/19 2:42 p.m.
hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/19 2:56 p.m.

Saw Pat Culkin take his pass today in his Shadow.

This almost didn't happen. When he was taking a pass yesterday his brand new turbo ate itself. Andrew Nelson loaned him his enclosed trailer to get the car back to Pat's house in Maryland where Pat and a buddy thrashed to get an older turbo on the car (including downpipe mods, etc., etc.). They supposedly got a bit of shut-eye before getting up early and driving the car 150 miles back to the track for their first timed run. Great to see him still in the hunt. One of the SDAC GLH's ran a 10.10! 

Looking forward to seeing how Calvin's first run went!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/9/19 3:01 p.m.

I bounced around the video above a bit and at the 18 minute area the Aussie MCM Cressida goes.  

At about the 27 minute area Calvin goes for a 9.081 second run.  

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/9/19 3:04 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

Thanks for the background on that!  I also watched that part of the livestream... just out of happenstance; although, I’m weird and ‘generally’ enjoy the Street Machine Eliminator cars the most.

but, now that I ‘know’ the Nelsons a tad more... I’ll also have to dig back and check out what I can of their runs.

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/9/19 3:05 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Apparently there might be two MCM-affiliated cars this year.  One the Cressida, the other a Barra-engined Mustang.

edit:
looks like it's a black one, with a tall hood bulge, SC plates, and an aussie flag on the front fender.  I think Al/TurboYoda built it, or is driving it?  (skid factory had a background video on it last week, detailing their Aus-based pre-fab for the swap)

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/19 3:27 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Right after Calvin's run, a Nova wagon sprayed down the entire right lane. Damn Chevys. wink

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/9/19 5:25 p.m.

Here's some background on the Aussies this year... looks like I got some of the details a bit off..

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/9/19 10:02 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

At 18 and 27 its just Dave and Brain. Am I looking in the wrong place?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/10/19 5:35 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Strange. When I wrote that the video above was a 4 hr video.  Now it is a 6 hr video and I can not find them either.

Edit:  Now look at exactly the 3 hr mark.  It is Jeep XJ, then Orange 5th Gen Camaro then Calvin in white Fairmont wagon

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
utL3x11jYcyDSBuglS183RGmQgKMQxz9WiXf1bD0Is61I4leVLVcwLGXNwZGLZeg