1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/21 3:47 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Has anyone ever removed the rubber covers and just run skateboard grip tape?

Yes but it was black oxide waterproof sandpaper with epoxy

Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell New Reader
9/3/21 4:59 p.m.

I really really like the OMP pedal set I went with --- excellent feels + everyman affordability.

Actually bought 2 sets so I could use another gas pedal to modify position and raise the dead pedal to be closer to the clutch pedal, stock R53 dead pedal is a bit too short for my comfort. A couple of aftermarket deadpedals are available but they block the fuse panel and require removal just to open it up, so a good side benefit of using the OMP is that is slightly offset enough which allows easy opening of fuse panel door.

In this pic the deadpedal appears to be magically levitating...

...but it's just because I painted the extender spacers black and they steathily disappear! LOL

Had to go hobo with Home Depot fasteners and not happy about the phillips head but hey whatever, meant to change them but I'm lazy, was also intending to fit a black R50 cover plate to pretty it up, but again, too lazy and more pressing issues seem to pop up.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/3/21 5:02 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) said:

The rubber covers on my clutch and brake pedals died, so I stuck on some skateboard griptape I had sitting around. Works great.

yes cheeky 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/21 5:11 p.m.

One of the early 70s corvette roadracers we restored at an old job had coarse steel mesh tack welded to the brake and clutch pedal. No one was sliding off them. 

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/3/21 5:16 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Don't care one way or the other. What is much more important is grip between your shoe and the peddle. I really like these. They have hard robber nubs that grip to just about any shoe superbly. 

This is similar to a stock 987 Cayman. Add a pair of slip on Vans and you'll be in heaven.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
9/4/21 9:26 a.m.

Running celica gts brake and clutch, they're the aluminum with rubber bits. I like them.

I picked up a lexus is300 throttle pedal to match, not installed yet. Im lazy, parts pile up.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/4/21 9:59 a.m.

From the factory?  Yes

after market? No, yes, no.  Well, yes  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/4/21 1:06 p.m.

David, I've done skate board tape once.  It was grippy, too grippy sometimes when your feet are flying from pedal to pedal.  I've also cut grooves in the pedals (no rubber cover) and more than once covered them with thin aluminum diamond plate.  Nice looking nubs that work well; I've actually sent some of that material out in the annual Christmas box swap.  Hang in there, you may end up with it some year.  =~ )

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
9/4/21 1:14 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

One of the early 70s corvette roadracers we restored at an old job had coarse steel mesh tack welded to the brake and clutch pedal. No one was sliding off them. 

I've seen that too - extruded metal.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/21 10:01 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I've seen that too - extruded metal.

It's a great idea, would be easy to wrap some chicken wire around a pedal and tack it on.

billy69
billy69 New Reader
9/29/21 2:16 p.m.

whats the fix when you have a size 15 shoe and on a automatic i hit the brake and gas at the same time (very scarey sometimes) on a clutch car my toe hits the bottom of the dash close out!! 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/29/21 3:09 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I do this with almost everything I own.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/29/21 3:48 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

We actually did some testing on ours, and they have more grip than rubber or smooth metal pedal when you have wet shoes. 50% more grip when dry and 30% more grip when wet. The important thing is that they're not just drilled, they have ridges.

Square left in 50 caution ocean! - Author of How To Build a High Performance Mazda Miata

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/30/21 3:25 p.m.

I don't remember the pedal covers that I installed being that grippy back in the day, and figure that I was wearing Vans then, too. But I'm still happy with them. 

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/30/21 5:04 p.m.

Another +1. For the skateboard grip tape.

Works good, I like it!

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/1/21 8:10 a.m.

They're great for cars that have skinny OE pedals when you like to drive around barefoot.  Other than that, primarily aesthetic. 

Grip tape will save your life in the rain and cut a lot of time off driver changes when applied to the floorboard of a race car, though.  

David S. Wallens
10/5/21 11:44 a.m.

In reply to Tyler H (Forum Supporter) :

That is a good point about grip tape on the floor. Nothing graceful about trying to get in or out of a race car and having your feet slip out from beneath you. 

David S. Wallens
11/5/21 5:01 p.m.

Update: I figured out the source of the pedal covers. 

BITD, I worked in Atlanta for a company called Automod. We were a warehouse distributor for companies that sold parts for race cars and sports cars--think Momo, Nardi, Hella, Koni, K&N, Weber, Pace Setter, Kamei, Zender, Amco, etc., etc. 

There was another company in Atlanta called Sport Auto. I'm pretty sure they were one of our customers. Anyway, I came across their catalog yesterday while looking for an issue of Sports Car Graphic.

And that's when it hit me. 

No idea on the brand, but now I remember getting the covers from them.

Just for fun, some more pics from the catalog.

David S. Wallens
1/14/22 8:56 p.m.

So, I'm pretty sure that I found the manufacturer of the Miata's pedal covers: Razo. 

I was looking for something else and came across their old catalog online. You can read the company's history here

Plus their instructions seem to jibe with what I have. 

Interesting that the photo in the Auto Sport catalog shows the brake and clutch reversed from Razo's catalog. Do I swap the covers? I dunno.

I didn't install the gas pedal cover because it's kind of a pain and I'm happy with the stock Miata cover. Maybe one day. 

David S. Wallens
1/14/22 8:59 p.m.

In 2005 I visited Razo/Carmate while in Japan for the Tokyo Auto Salon. We got the nickel tour, played with r/c cars in their warehouse, and went for rides with some people (employees?) through the neighborhood.

Here are some pics:

David S. Wallens
1/14/22 9:01 p.m.

And here are pics from the drive through the neighborhood:

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/15/22 1:41 a.m.

Razo!? 

It's been a long time since I've heard that name!  They we're pretty popular back in the late 90's/early 2000's

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
1/16/22 8:49 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

No idea on the brand, but now I remember getting the covers from them.

Interesting part numbers.

Worker: "Thanks for calling Sport Auto! How may I help you?

Customer: "I want BQPEDALAUT! And SKMMSUE!"

David S. Wallens
1/18/22 12:06 p.m.

In reply to GCrites80s :

Okay, so someone else noticed the part numbers. Yeah. Auto Sport was our local source for SuperTrapps, too. Pretty sure that's where I got mine. 

David S. Wallens
1/18/22 12:07 p.m.

In reply to BA5 :

Razo was at SEMA a few years ago--like, I believe about five years or so ago.

I had their round leather knob in my EG Civic. It was perfect. I have one or two of the resin round knobs on the shelf. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tkkpj7rley8CCM6RS6hoWy39UZHzyCPop9dh2ZQdH7a2Rywiqb51veX57RDsvDOi