1 2
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/9/21 8:54 p.m.

For all it's faults (and there are many), our little burg of Holly Hill has had a major win over the past year with the opening of a world-class pickleball facility right across from our office. Of course, we never go to our office anymore, but there are lots of business right in our general area that a chock full of give-a-damn, and it's nice to see. The pickleball center is on pace to double in size starting this fall, too, including adding a stadium court that will double as a concert venue. Yeah, the 'Hill is kind of a cruddy little town between other towns, but it deserved a win and it's gotten a few in the last few years.

As for stuff to do in the area, there's a few state parks nearby that are all worth a visit. We're also less than an hour from LOTS of other cool stuff, like the Kennedy Space Center, St. Augustine, lots of swimmable springs, and lots of great beaches. If you're into wildlife, the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey is like 45 minutes away on the near side of Orlando and is a super chill visit since they're seriously limiting capacity with C19 precautions. So you basically make an appointment and you practically have th eplace to yourself for an hour or two.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/9/21 9:23 p.m.

Seconding the suggestions:

IMO, Kennedy Space Center is a "not miss" on any trip to central Florida.

St Augustine is really remarkable too.  It's hard to believe that you can tour a  Renaissance era fortress here, but it's the real thing. 

Also a couple of cool things right here in Volusia County:

During cold days in the winter, Blue Springs State Park is packed with manatees. 

During the summer turtle nesting season, you can make reservations at the Visitor's Center at Canaveral National Seashore. You get to stay after the park closes for the night. 

They do a very good sea turtle presentation while the volunteers are monitoring the beaches for the female turtles to come ashore and lay their eggs. When (if) one is spotted, the rangers will take you to the site and you can watch them lay their eggs, cover the nest, and return to the ocean. 

It's about two hours away, but anyone who has never attended a National level NHRA event could go to the Gatornationals. Anyone interested in any form of Motorsports should experience this at least once. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/9/21 9:35 p.m.

Cocoa Beach = Ron Jon surf shop. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
8/9/21 10:52 p.m.

I'm going to be in the Daytona neck of the woods weekend of October 22nd. Planning to do the Daytona tour that Saturday and looking for other things to fill the day while Mrs. DX has a conference. Any good breweries around Daytona?

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/10/21 7:34 a.m.

#keepflordiashady 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/10/21 11:08 a.m.
dxman92 said:

I'm going to be in the Daytona neck of the woods weekend of October 22nd. Planning to do the Daytona tour that Saturday and looking for other things to fill the day while Mrs. DX has a conference. Any good breweries around Daytona?

Visit our friends at Ormond Brewing.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/10/21 11:47 a.m.
dxman92 said:

There is also this little event happening over in Gainesville October 22-23 - GRM Challenge

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/10/21 11:51 a.m.

Back when I lived in the Daytona area, there was always stuff to do, but I was a student then and fun was cheaper because I made fun out of whatever I did. There are some seriously sketchy areas for sure.

Holly Hill had the best breakfast place way back then too. Not sure it is still the same (probably not), but the the Holly Hill Diner was on the schedule every Sunday morning. They knew what we were ordering before we sat down.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/10/21 12:20 p.m.

I'll also second or third Kennedy Space Center. Spend the day there and, if possible, tour the launch complexes. It cost a few extra bucks but was totally worth it.

Also, while down that way, check out Orlando Wetlands Park--lots of critters and stuff. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
8/10/21 5:26 p.m.

The challenge being that weekend is very tempting. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NYdz2Efw05Cp88mdw7qxrn0WgJlSaMrJQZiD5NegzCvYZw2mkJ5hVDLkv7BJVyuj