93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/7/15 1:07 p.m.

I am trying to decide which of these two tires I want to put on my daily driver Civic Si.

Which would you go for? Anyone had either?

aw614
aw614 New Reader
1/7/15 1:50 p.m.

I was happy with my Comp2s when I had them on my Integra, the rain performance was good during the Florida rains and for a street tire grip was pretty good. I did only get 10k miles out of them since the last 5k miles or so was an autox every month on a concrete site. I assume for dailying they would last probably 20k.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/7/15 2:05 p.m.

I've been running BFG Comp Sport 2s on my E36 M3 and have been pleased. Low noise, comfy ride, great in the rain (seriously, one of the best rain tires I've had) and decent grip in the dry.

They aren't the stickiest auto-cross or track tire, but will handle both well. I ran a track day at Road America and they performed well. They did start to chunk after 40 laps or so......but that's asking quite a bit from a street tire. I've been pleased and impressed.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the Dunlops, so hopefully someone who does will chime in.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
1/7/15 7:41 p.m.

I wrote a review on the Direzza DZ102s, so you must have missed it. I recommend the BFGs because the 102s have a stiff sidewall and gives the car a moderately firm to slightly harsh ride. They are on my E36 328i, so some of the BMW "magic" is gone. The hydroplaning resistance is average to slightly below average. Wet braking is a little below average. Dry handling and dry braking are good. They can handle autocross duties, but only if you're a beginner because they're not soft enough to win. I would give them a 6 out of 10, and I don't recommend them.

chili_head
chili_head New Reader
1/7/15 8:21 p.m.

Love the Comp2's on my MINI. great in the wet.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/7/15 10:40 p.m.
iadr wrote: Conti DW's over either of those, IMO.

I don't think Conti DWs come in the size I need.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/7/15 10:41 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Clutch42:

Cool. I guess I missed it. The ride in the lowered Civic already isn't great. Not autocrossing this car.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/8/15 7:46 a.m.

I'd go BFG. Have a set of Comp-2's on my Challenge Firebird and very happy with them.

bmwbav
bmwbav Reader
1/8/15 9:06 a.m.

Yet another happy bfg comp sport 2 owner here. Have only had them on my BMW for about 2 months, but they have great traction and a good ride for this type of tire. I'll give another review after my track day next weekend.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
1/8/15 12:10 p.m.

Just put Dunlap Direzza DZ102 on the RX8 today. On sale at Tire Rack last week. Which was why I bought them. Was going to go BFG but the DZ102's were less than the BFG. At least in the size for the RX8.

Have BFG G-force Comp Sport 2 on the Opel GT. Don't push the Opel but are smooth, quiet and are more than grippy enough.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
1/8/15 1:24 p.m.

After a few days, tell us how you like them.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/8/15 3:07 p.m.

The BFs are $6 more per tire. I am just going to go with the BFs.

beans
beans Dork
1/8/15 10:21 p.m.

I like the BFG's on my accord. Glad I went with them instead of the DZ102's. That being said, with my 7" wide wheel, I wish I would've done the 205/55/16 rather than the 225/50/16 I went with. They're WIDE, much too wide for a 7" wheel, even though they look damn cool. I'm looking at 195's or 205's next in a more aggressive tire. These are too floppy for me during autox. Excellent on the street though. Very good in rain. Suck in cold/snow, but that should be a given.

ouchx100
ouchx100 Reader
1/8/15 10:44 p.m.

I like the comp 2s. I've had them on my wrx for about 15k miles and they are supposedly ~55% when I had the alignment checked last month. Sidewall feels a bit soft for autocross, but they were great on a 3k mile road trip. I live in San diego and have awd so.. Sure grip with them is great haha

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
1/9/15 4:46 p.m.

I have some Comp2s but they are on a stock Honda Insight so it's hard to say how much better they are then the car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sMtEVpxET87joiFnQtiDiLKO5MTRBnkDmu9UX64I6F7DRrMkhHvqdlOXyz6Lwe4m