Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/24/23 9:49 a.m.

The Honda S2000 needs new tires.

I always bought whatever flavor of 200 threadwear rating was easiest to get, currently wearing Dunlop Direzza ZII. I can get the ZIIIs through Tire Rack and drive 60 miles to my prefered installer or Coscto, which is 10 minutes away from my house, has Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S for about the same price. The Michelins have a threadwear rating of 300.

Anyone knows how the Michelins compare to a 200 threadwear tire? I do not drive the S2000 much, but when I do, I drive it somewhat spiritedly ... Any input?

versus:

karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/24/23 10:04 a.m.

The PS4S came stock on my G70 and it's a great tire for spirited street driving. My G70 used up the rears rather quickly while the fronts look new (at 33k miles now). The turn in is crisp and breakaway is predictable. The current issue of GRM has a tire review article and the PS4S is 'the' 300TW tire to have. 

Edit: Not all 33K miles were on the PS4S. Probably 20K which I'm OK with on a 300TW tire.

dps214
dps214 Dork
2/24/23 10:08 a.m.

It's probably the tire you actually want for your use.

There's no "h" in "treadwear".

Berck
Berck Reader
2/24/23 10:13 a.m.

I currently have the ZIIIs on the Miata and the Pilot Sport 4S on the Focus RS. Very different cars and tire sizes, so not really a back-to-back comparison...  But for spirited street driving, I think they're pretty similar.  I've driven both on the track, and the Dunlops probably have greater total grip and would be my choice for an S2000, but I doubt you'd be disappointed in the PS4S on the street and will probably last longer.  The difference between a 200 and 300 treadwear tire is significant on the track, but less noticeable on the street.  

Slippery
2/24/23 10:52 a.m.
dps214 said:

There's no "h" in "treadwear".

Doh! I am learing two things from this tHread, lol.

Slippery
2/24/23 10:54 a.m.

Mileage is not much of a concern to me as I do not drive it that much, they Direzzas would last 3-4 years.

One more question/curveball ... what if the car is supercharged and has around 400 rwhp? Does that change things or the Michelins are still a good go to tire?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/24/23 11:03 a.m.

PS4S is the best genuine all-around (well, except snow) street tire I have ever driven.  They are quiet, responsive, comfortable, and have very good grip in both wet and dry conditions -- not quite to the level of most of the 200 treadwear options, but they are close and much more civilized.  I wouldn't take them to the track, but for real street driving they're great.  They do tend to be expensive though.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/24/23 11:11 a.m.

The E39 530i is currently wearing the PS4S, purchased and installed at Costco with $150 discount.  Fantastic street tire.

Every single Dunlop tire I've ever owned or heard about from people I know that bought them cannot be properly balanced because Dunlop has never produced a tire that doesn't possess massive amounts of runout.

So for me, it's no comparison.  Michelin PS4S all the way.  Dunlops are trash, IMO.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/24/23 11:30 a.m.

PS4S on my Cayman multiple times. I love them.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
2/24/23 11:32 a.m.

Michelin knows how to make a good tire. That's my vote. I don't think you'll be giving up much grip in street driving.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/24/23 11:39 a.m.

Another tire to consider is the Bridgestone Potenza Sport.  That's their direct competitor to the PS4S, and is almost-but-not-quite as good.  It's a bit cheaper, and sometimes more available (I have them on my Audi right now because I the Michelins were on back order when I needed them)

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/24/23 11:47 a.m.

A couple points on the D*.

The D* have much stiffer sidewalls compared to the PS. The ride like stone on rough roads. 

The DII need heat to get into their maximum grip level (~150F) They are more of a endurance tire than an AutoX tire. 

If you want a cheaper 200TW tire I'd lean towards the RT660. It will be in its temperature range around 100F.

if you want a cheaper alternative to the PS I'd look at the new ECS02:

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/23 11:56 a.m.

I've had both Z1SS and PS4S, I think the Z1SS was only slightly stickier and handles heat better, the PS4S is better in the rain and doesn't wear so quickly, but they tend to chunk a bit on track days.

I recently did a detailed tire comparison and found that as a long-wearing autox+track+weekend tire, the PS4S is actually the 2nd most ideal choice next to the Continental ECF.

Slippery
2/24/23 12:12 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Every single Dunlop tire I've ever owned or heard about from people I know that bought them cannot be properly balanced because Dunlop has never produced a tire that doesn't possess massive amounts of runout.

So for me, it's no comparison.  Michelin PS4S all the way.  Dunlops are trash, IMO.

I mean, I could not test them through the whole speed range, but the ones I got balanced OK ...

Slippery
2/24/23 12:15 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

Another tire to consider is the Bridgestone Potenza Sport.  That's their direct competitor to the PS4S, and is almost-but-not-quite as good.  It's a bit cheaper, and sometimes more available (I have them on my Audi right now because I the Michelins were on back order when I needed them)

Only reason I am considering an alternative to a 200 TREADWEAR tire is because of the convenience of Costco and that is the only one out of the three they carry I am even willing to consider.

I think I have made up my mind ... PS4S it is ...

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/24/23 12:54 p.m.

I recently bought a set of the PS4S for my Cayman. They  have the best combination of sticky, smooth, and quiet performance tire I've ever experienced. I think you'll be happy.

sergio
sergio HalfDork
2/24/23 5:13 p.m.

The Dunlops will ride stiff and won't have much grip in the wet.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro SuperDork
2/24/23 6:22 p.m.
Slippery said:

Mileage is not much of a concern to me as I do not drive it that much, they Direzzas would last 3-4 years.

One more question/curveball ... what if the car is supercharged and has around 400 rwhp? Does that change things or the Michelins are still a good go to tire?

The 2nd gen CTS-V owners love the Michelin PS4S, so they are good at that power level and higher. I have the Conts Extreme contact sports on my V and they perform very well in both wet and dry. 

Slippery
3/11/23 1:24 p.m.

Got a call from Costco yesterday, took them almost 2 weeks to get the tires

Drove straight home so not much to report but they were quiet when pushed, but felt somewhat funny. 

Looked at them when I got home and the front driver's side was extremely low. Checked, 15 psi, no wonder it felt funny.

Checked for nails and nothing, seems that the clown at Costco decided that putting air in 3/4 was good enough and a passing grade. 

This is the first time since I picked it up with 3 miles than anyone other than me or my wife have driven the car lol. I am off to remove all wheels and re-torque them as the guy probably tightened them to 1000 lbs-ft with his cool air gun. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/11/23 3:31 p.m.

Wow, that's unusual.  I've never had an issue with Costco tire service.  They are meticulous with their torque wrenches.  Our local Costco does not use an impact to torque lug nuts.  Period.  You should share your concerns with the counter guy.  They'll want to know.

Slippery
3/17/23 11:40 a.m.

Alright. I put 32 psi and checked for nails when I got home after the install. Did not use the car since. 

This morning, it was at 27psi. Hmm. Kids are off for spring break so let's go for a drive towards Costco. 

By the time I was 3 blocks away the car was pulling quite strongly towards one side. I slowly made my way to Costco and told the guy at the counter what had happened. He was quite apologetic and went to check it out. I told them no big deal, but I wanted them to unmount the tire and check for damage as I had driven it low for a couple of miles. 

Anyways, the problem ended up being the schrader valve. The guy said it was, dirty. Alright. Tire was good and they DO use torque wrenches!

I have to say I am quite happy both with Costco and the tires. Might get a set for my e46 M3.

Thanks guys!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/17/23 12:01 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Yay!  yes

Slippery
4/13/23 7:04 p.m.

We got 24" of rain in 6 hours. 

Fort Lauderdale International airport has been closed for over 24 hrs and will remain closed for at least another 12 hrs. Unheard of. 

The PS4S are fantastic in the wet. I am honestly impressed and happier the more I drive on them. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
4/13/23 8:26 p.m.

If I wasn't tracking my car, better believe Pilot Sports would be on everything. Just fantastic grip and very comfortable at the same time. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qDySWv5beOhMnGJGlNyLS56KQsKSHpDlV07dRED8uUmG1PQOEkRb8BwOMqaJfH0B