ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 New Reader
2/29/20 11:11 p.m.

In reply to Brian :

I don't know anyone who even turns rotors nowadays. Just slap new ones on

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/22 1:28 p.m.

An update since someone asked in another thread. 

I've mounted almost 100 sets of tires since I bought them. At $20 a tire that's just shy of $8000. The machines were right at $1800. 

Just the time savings from not having to deal with tire stores makes them worth having. 

If you are considering buying a set, do it. 

Toyman!
4/15/23 4:21 p.m.

7 - 19.5 inch truck tires mounted today. Those are a workout to say the least. The tire machine did not like changing them. The sidewalls are so stiff it would pull the wheels out of the clamps unless you grabbed them from the outside. 

They would not fit on the balancer. I tried mounting them dish out and they were so heavy they would tip the machine over. We ended up using balance beads instead. 

I'm tired. 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/15/23 5:35 p.m.

I do not envy you, one of my shops has a delivery for 17.5 and 19.5 mounted tires....30 or so a week. That's a TON of work.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/23 6:14 p.m.

Do people balance those tires?  I thought people just slapped the tires on and shipped 'em, as they generally rotate too slowly for vibrations to really be a problem.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/15/23 6:33 p.m.

Absolutely they balance them, they can beat you to death. And if you've never changed a 17.5 or 19.5 showing a video of a 22.5 is not the same at all.

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/15/23 7:00 p.m.

I've changed 19.5s smiley

TBH I use the tire machine to just hold the wheel and use prybars, seems easier with the kind of machines I'd been using.  Plus it feels a lot more therapeutic to be forcing 3' long chunks of steel, rather than stepping on a pedal and getting annoyed that the tire fell off of the slipper shoe. Again.

Toyman!
4/17/23 8:01 a.m.

I balanced my RV tires. The old set bounced a fair amount. The balance beads settled it down nicely so we figured the beads would help these as well. 

These tires wouldn't slip over the wheels like the 22.5" tires in the video. I tried. I wonder if the RV wheels aren't a little different than a standard truck wheel? The machine would mount them but the inside camps wouldn't grab the wheel because of the way the bead area on the wheels was tapered. As soon as you put any pressure on the wheel it would pop off the clamp. Grabbing the outside of the wheel solved that problem nicely. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/17/23 9:12 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I always grab wheels by the outside.  For one, it won't damage the bell.  For two, if you mount steel wheels, clamping from the inside wears out the jaws, which leads to: For three, catching a half-mounted wheel and tire in the junk sucks...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vSBbLdsSnqw1vwMuNeEOo5Dvr9uzznOLlSQxmDNF56pqTyW9iuHz18oS2u3t3IO9