Robert Bowen
Robert Bowen Editor
3/17/22 11:20 a.m.

[Editor's Note: This article originally appeared in the October 2012 issue of Grassroots Motorsports.]

The BMW M5 is one of the storied models of the automotive landscape. At its most basic level, it’s a four-door sedan that marries an understated appearance with a full host of luxury features, a massive powerplant, uprated suspension and performance that would humble most sports …

Read the rest of the story

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/22 11:27 a.m.

The E39 M5 introduced two things to the world that have stuck around: a Sport button (changed the throttle response and steering assist) and angel eye headlights.

Owning one is a bit like owning a supercar, it demands a lot of attention. Working in the engine bay is expert level mechanicing, definitely not for beginners. Just getting the driver's side valve cover off requires at least four dimensions of manipulation.

But they feel special. You can tell the engineers got their way.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
3/17/22 11:35 a.m.

The s52 is one of my favorite engines ever. The power delivery and sound are terrific. Also, the e39 in today comparison of car sizes is a sweet  svelte sedan. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/17/22 11:37 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

That's interesting that's where those two features originated. I kind of feel like the angel eye headlights are sort of like a more modern version of the Altezza taillights in that I've seen them put on a lot of different cars–with varying degrees of success.

Keith Tanner
3/17/22 11:40 a.m.

Agreed on the angel eyes these days. They're absolutely everywhere. It's a good way to give a car's face character while also providing DRLs. There are all sorts of aftermarket upgrades for the M5 to make them brighter. You can see in the pic from the article (that's Grand Touring class of the Targa Newfoundland, which would have been a fun week) that they're kinda dim compared to modern LEDs.

The car also has a variable redline on the tach, when it's cold the redline is lower. I don't know if that's a first or not.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/17/22 2:34 p.m.

Granted, it's not an M5, but I have a hard time getting the keys to my son's 2003 530i Sport Package.  It's such a rewarding car to drive, and the six is so responsive (and dependable) that I'm not sure I'm missing anything by not having the eight.

Edit:  As noted above, even though it's a "mid-size" 5-series, nothing about the car feels big, it's just not cramped.  Want to make an E36 feel too small?  Drive an E39!

And those Xenon angel eyes are great until you tap a deer with one. About a grand, if you can find 'em.  Ask me how I know. laugh

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
3/17/22 2:43 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Granted, it's not an M5, but I have a hard time getting the keys to my son's 2003 530i Sport Package.  It's such a rewarding car to drive, and the six is so responsive (and dependable) that I'm not sure I'm missing anything by not having the eight.

Edit:  As noted above, even though it's a "mid-size" 5-series, nothing about the car feels big, it's just not cramped.  Want to make an E36 feel too small?  Drive an E39!

That whole era of big BMWs does a good job of not feeling so big when you drive it.  Even my E38 feels much smaller once you start to hustle it around, at least until you get onto a really tight, narrow back road (then it starts to feel like it just doesn't fit on the road).  No surprise the E39 has the same effect, as it's more or less the same chassis hit with a shrink ray. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/17/22 3:52 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Granted, it's not an M5, but I have a hard time getting the keys to my son's 2003 530i Sport Package.  That's a pretty good alternative in my mind.

They're a pretty good alternative in my mind.

Keith Tanner
3/17/22 4:05 p.m.

The internet lore is that a 540i Sport 6-speed is basically as good as an M5, but having spent a good amount of time in both it's not true. The M5 feels special, it's why I decided to spend a bit extra for one. These days, it would be a LOT extra because I got mine at the bottom of the market - but they command a premium for a reason. They're also a lot more expensive to run.

And yeah, those headlights are expensive if you want the real ones. You can get cheap knockoffs, but like any modern car the real thing will set you back. You want to know what's really expensive? The wheels. There are knockoffs of the fronts, but the rears are unicorn poop.

As for size, they're awfully close to a Tesla Model 3. A big enough sedan.

To close, you cannot discuss the E39 M5 without Star.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/17/22 9:18 p.m.

It's so funny this popped up today.  There is a shop local to me that carries only "special" German cars, 99% of which are BMWs.  The owner is a real car guy and knows BMW inside and out.  

He is a friend and I stopped in to tell him I bought my 330ci ZHP and that I would like his guys to give me car a once over.  He has cars everywhere, but in his excitement about my car he couldn't wait to tell me that he just picked up a 2000 540i with a manual transmission.  And it's for sale...

I realize a sport package 540i with a stick isn't an M5, but it sure is a neat car and I am seriously considering adding that one to the stable too.  It needs some shaping but looks to be a solid, honest car that hasn't been beaten.

Next week they are going to go through my car looking for anything that requires attention and at the same time I'm going to drive that 540.  I think it's a distinct possibility I drive there in one car and come home owning another one too.  Something about a V8 manual transmission family car makes me a little giddy with excitement.

Does anybody in CT have a spare couch for me to sleep on when my wife finds out I'm considering buying another car?

BigRed5
BigRed5
11/24/22 10:56 a.m.

Know this thread is a bit dated but couldn't help it, and I may need that place to stay also but I'm a step or two further into it. This is my son at one of BMW's Street Survival Schools trying to put it into a drift, which in this vehicle with good tires (Michelin Super Sports) can be very difficult!

BigRed5
BigRed5 New Reader
11/24/22 11:17 a.m.

Keith Tanner
11/24/22 11:25 a.m.

Owned this for over a decade now, I think. It still feels special, like I'm being given the opportunity to drive a special grown-up car. It was the fastest sedan in the world two decades ago and now it's no faster than the golf cart that sits beside it, but it's got the fizz.

BigRed5
BigRed5 New Reader
11/24/22 11:37 a.m.

Yep, love it, too bad my girlfriend of 27yrs doesn't see it the same way...

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/22 9:46 p.m.

An E34 M5 is on my wish list. But I wouldn't kick an E39 M5 out of bed.

BigRed5
BigRed5 New Reader
11/25/22 10:45 a.m.

Yea LanEvo, will admit that I do not have much knowledge of the E34, however would be willing to blindly take your word for it because of my blessed experience of living in Germany (with the military) twice for a total of 8 years which taught me how to truly respect that vehicle manufacturer. Have an '97 E36 328i with 316K miles and still going and the '00 E39 M5 which is one of the last of the naturally aspirated muscle cars that I am aware of. I will say that these newer ones of recent years are not that appealing. Could be because it is hard to find three pedals and for me that is a must!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/25/22 10:58 a.m.

In reply to BigRed5 :

The e60 M5 had a naturally aspirated V10, so a little more muscle and still na wink

BigRed5
BigRed5 New Reader
11/25/22 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Thanks my friend, I don't claim to have all the knowledge, thanks for the information, I can now say I learned something today! Adjusted the post to say 'one of the last'. Thanks Much!

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
11/25/22 2:58 p.m.

As well as the e90 m3 which is basically the e39 m5's just as big smaller brother but with nicer interior, brakes, shift action/clutch, and a tad bit more hp but a touch less rear legroom and a LOT less class.

My handle shows my roots, and have owned 3 V8 e39s (one an m5 that went to the owner of weathertech). They sure LOOK like a timeless classic and have since they were made unlike the BMWs of today.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
11/28/22 8:49 a.m.

Dad had a 2004 545i manual  Msport that he loved all the way to 165k miles, then my BIL took it from him and ran it to 190k miles before rear ending someone doing 110 merging onto the highway...

Dad sold the 2004 for a 2012 550I and hated it. Too much tech.  Sold it for a truck when he moved to his farm.

Need an E60 buyers guide soon. The E39 is gorgeous but the E60 just seems like the ultimate "GRM'rs" car.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xmCsphECWxJhtLk390GdK6qycJy51g0BU9gx12PHg4cdpAWf4CxQ6cdrvaoeLsHE