Robert Bowen
Robert Bowen Editor
2/1/22 10:45 a.m.

[Editor's Note: This article originally appeared in the May 2011 issue of Grassroots Motorsports, when Bavarian Autosport was still in operation.]

The release of a new 3 Series BMW is more than just a model change of some car. For enthusiasts it heralds a new epoch of automotive history, like an ice age or the end of the dinosaurs. 

The …

Read the rest of the story

theonlyiceman53
theonlyiceman53 New Reader
2/2/22 6:30 p.m.

I got this car for free from my son.  He had messed with it for a year trying to get it to stay out of limp mode when it went to top gear. I did a car fax on it and it had been in bunches of car auctions as dealers tried to fix the thing.  I just circumvented the whole mess with a stand along big block Chevy.  It was bad enough just getting that to work with the electronics.  I learned far more about BMW wiring than I ever wanted to know.  It pulls pretty strong for a BMW. Total sleeper from the outside. 

Big Block Chevy

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
6/19/22 9:28 p.m.

^Well that's one way to handle it!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/19/22 9:56 p.m.

I wonder what it has to do with an M3?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/22 10:02 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

If you thought pulling the valve cover in an E46 sucked, imagine trying to R&R those babies for the valve adjustment every 2k miles or so.  And then adjusting the valves in chassis.  And finding that two or three of the exhausts have gone from .017" lash to .lots" lash and you have to replace the lifters again, which entails pulling the distributor so you can get the intake off...

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
6/19/22 10:59 p.m.

I need e46 330ci 5m advice if anyone is familiar with 01 3.0 coupes

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K41kYuxi1V6cZYPz0IP1GpoxbjDUZsuhibb7yitX9GWh2I5dGrsypcSqTeSXAeP6