mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
5/9/14 7:50 p.m.

After buying the V Wagon I started noticing CTS's. Lots of them. Everywhere. The early ones are pretty darn cheap and can be had with the V6 and a manual which has a friend and I thinking about doing silly things with one. Are there any know weak points with these cars that would talk us out of it?

calteg
calteg Reader
5/9/14 8:02 p.m.

I've appraised a LOT of CTS' and I've never come across a v6/manual combo. Many of them have catalytic converter related CELs

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/9/14 8:05 p.m.

My parents test drove a base CTS with the V6/6spd a few years ago and loved it. They came really close to buying that one.

cghstang
cghstang Dork
5/9/14 8:21 p.m.

Rallycross right? I've had similar thoughts. There are definitely v6/manuals out there. Autotrader shows 31 examples under $10k, with several in the 5-6k range.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
5/9/14 8:31 p.m.

In reply to cghstang:

Maybe some rallycross but really more of a drift car. It seems like on paper it has potential to be a functional and interesting drift platform.
Just spitballing here, trying to figure out if it would be a fun project. It should certainly be one of the easier platforms to throw an LS in.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/9/14 9:09 p.m.

Isn't rallycross just drift with a purpose? No silly style points.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
5/9/14 10:48 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Isn't rallycross just drift with a purpose? No silly style points.

It's all about being silly with cars.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
5/9/14 10:49 p.m.
voetsek wrote: That's a dirty dirty thought. I have a LS3/T56 that's almost brand new sitting in a car in the driveway that's begging to be put in a car I can license.

The question is, in the end would it be cheaper to start with an early V? Or more properly, how cheap does a V6 car have to be for it to be worth playing with?

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
5/10/14 1:55 a.m.

First generation CTS cars really need a LSD for drifting. And none of the ones I drove (or drifted) had one.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
5/10/14 10:19 a.m.

We were looking at the early CTS when we got the Charger. I could not find a manual anywhere near me except one V about 200 miles away. The V was more than I paid for the Charger by about $5k. We ended up going with the Charger for several reasons. My wife didn't like how the CTS looked like more of "rich guys car". I still would like one sometime. It will have to be a manual. Maybe if I move back to the city and do corporate work again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
piLjoApVZRxnQDs80lJR7Yqm7sJUmwEoZNwoFcuAit6Jifk7G0J1z9zTWlyftXmV