1 2
Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/11 6:56 p.m.

Easiest way - find a car that has flares like the ones you need, cut them off and weld them on to your car. Voila. I used Rabbit flares on my MG, other people use Omni. The good thing about both of those cars is that they have steel flares that go all the way around without hitting a body seam. Start looking around, and you'll discover that most cars have a plastic front and rear bumper and the flare crosses over into there.

Using plastic flare extensions for another vehicle works too. Plastic might be easier than 'glass because it's flexible and you can just make it fit with more fasteners

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/8/11 7:28 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I think I am going to go fiberglass like the Yugo from Hell.

If you bring a trailer to pick up the parts you want, you can pick up the Yugo form Hell too.

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
12/8/11 8:48 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
If you bring a trailer to pick up the parts you want, you can pick up the Yugo form Hell too.

Dibs!

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
12/8/11 9:36 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
JThw8 wrote:
Having done it once before I could flare a yugo in a weekend with time to drink beer. Actually I could probably have all 4 fenders done in a day and then you'd just need to do the bodywork to smooth them. Its not a terrible process. However, if you follow my process (YFH was my doing) fix my one error from a purely aesthetic point of view and make the rear flares start at the front of the fender (door opening) rather than a few inches back. At the time I did it to keep all the flares the same but in retrospect I think it would look better the other way. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions on the process.
Why did you use fiberglass mat instead of the weave?

1) Because I had a roll of it on hand 2) it makes a less flexible part with less layers

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
12/9/11 7:19 a.m.

In reply to JThw8:

I always thought weave was stiffer. Granted I worked with carbon fiber a lot more then fiberglass.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
12/9/11 7:26 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to JThw8: I always thought weave was stiffer. Granted I worked with carbon fiber a lot more then fiberglass.

Weave is stronger, especially in layers, but not necessarily stiffer in a single layer. But in the method I used you need a single layer to come off the fender and hold a shape well enough that you can flex it into a flare, the weave in a single layer does not seem to have that stability. YMMV, I mostly always work with the strand mat since I seem to have it around.

Mmm....carbon fiber flares.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
12/9/11 7:28 a.m.

Not doing carbon fiber flares since I have no carbon fiber. Maybe I can find some pre-preg which is out of date though from an aerospace company.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
12/9/11 7:30 a.m.

How can I go about making a mold? I would really like to do flares like that Fiat 131 rally car. I guess cutting foam would be the best way to do it.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
12/9/11 7:32 a.m.
SVreX wrote:

Some day Im going to have money and the time to get down to GA and I'm going to bring her back....I miss that car.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
12/9/11 9:35 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: How can I go about making a mold?

Go to fiberglassforums.com

There are a lot of questionably tasteful body kit builds there but the methods are same.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PMUaDKP6ii0VzLEBYkbOCSoNFj1aHuuXAkS8BvczooaoSB44YlRSIbtbWYV7WqiG